Swain Tech header coating is great - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 11 Old 07-02-17, 13:49 Thread Starter
KD675

Swain Tech header coating is great

Swain Tech coating is the best. I have had many coating on many different applications and this is simply the best out there.

My coolant temps are down one bar on the gauge in every scenario of riding I do.
Including sitting still at red lights. I havenít had the fan come on yet since install.

Today I rode on the street aggressively for an hour. Outside temp was 90įf. Directly after pulling in my garage with no cool down time I could place my hand directly on the header. It wasn't cold but it didnít take my skin off like an uncoated header would.
I wish I had done comparison temp measurements on the header before and after but I didn't think of it until just now.

Anyway here is some info and pics.

I started with an OEM unit barely used that I purchased from a user here.

Then I removed the cat and exup crap.
I left the oem merge in place. I had planned to remove and replace but after looking at it from the inside I decided it was actually pretty decent. I am not going for huge power numbers or racing so I left it.

Then it was off to coating.
While waiting i ordered some fresh nuts and gaskets. Although I didnít end up using the new nuts because they didnít have the same locking end on them so I reused the ones that were on the bike originally.

This is their busy season so it took about 3 1/2 weeks.
Came back looking great.

Then I put it on.

With the fairings off I also installed a manual chain tensioner and an OEM quick shifter.
Here is some pics all put back together.

Itís a shame to cover it all up with fairing but you can still see it from the front and slightly in the back.

Again I am very pleased with the coating.

It cost around $280 with shipping both ways.
Their website says $40 a foot so that makes sense.

Install took about an hour.
That was my first time installing a header on a 675. If I did it again I could definitely do it in 45 minutes.

Side note - Quick shifter is so awesome. I see people say it is unnecessary for the street, it may be but damn it is fun. Sounds awesome making seamless shifts.

Anyway - questions/comments welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-02-17, 16:37
siq75

Garage
nice. did you get the inside of the headers coated too?

what ecu tune? notice any performance gains?

Daytona 675 TRIPLE SE
post #3 of 11 Old 07-02-17, 20:14 Thread Starter
KD675
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by siq75 View Post
nice. did you get the inside of the headers coated too?

what ecu tune? notice any performance gains?
I asked them to do the inside and was told they will if they are able. I guess they weren't able to do it.
So no, the inside is not coated.

Arrow tune. Feels a bit more perky but it's hard to tell.
The oem cat looks to be about 100 cell or less. It is not as restrictive as people think.
Removing it barely even changed the sound.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-03-17, 02:00
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
post #5 of 11 Old 07-03-17, 10:57
siq75

Garage
not saying this will happen to you, but by not coating the inside, the pipe can/will stress/fatigue prematurely and crack from the inside. it won't happen overnight, but it will happen faster than not having anything coated at all. same applies to exhaust wrap and ceramic coating. coating the inside is important to keeping the heat inside the pipe.

im used to 2000į jet hot coating turbine housings and manifolds on cars, where it really helps with the under hood temps. i dont think the cost to performance factor here, especially for $300. most of the heat from our bike comes from the engine itself, not the exhaust pipes. money may have been better spent on an actual aftermarket header.

nonetheless, it does look badass

Daytona 675 TRIPLE SE
post #6 of 11 Old 07-03-17, 11:08 Thread Starter
KD675

Quote:
not saying this will happen to you, but by not coating the inside, the pipe can/will stress/fatigue prematurely and crack from the inside. it won't happen overnight, but it will happen faster than not having anything coated at all. same applies to exhaust wrap and ceramic coating. coating the inside is important to keeping the heat inside the pipe.

im used to 2000į jet hot coating turbine housings and manifolds on cars, where it really helps with the under hood temps. i dont think the cost to performance factor here, especially for $300. most of the heat from our bike comes from the engine itself, not the exhaust pipes. money may have been better spent on an actual aftermarket header.

nonetheless, it does look badass
lol.
Thanks for the internet info.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-03-17, 11:27
siq75

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD675 View Post
lol.
Thanks for the internet info.
please school us with your knowledge on the subject and debunk any and/or all parts of my comment. id hate to spread any misinformation on the internets.

Daytona 675 TRIPLE SE
post #8 of 11 Old 07-03-17, 12:00 Thread Starter
KD675

Quote:
please school us with your knowledge on the subject and debunk any and/or all parts of my comment. id hate to spread any misinformation on the internets.
No need. 15 years of first hand experience is all I needed to coat my header.
I have built many race cars and seen countless race cars with coated headers inside and out.
I have never seen one fail due to the coating or heat wrap.

Science may say on paper that it will fail but first hand positive experience is all I need.

Besides, it's just a header. I'm not going into space with it.

I'll make sure to update this post in the future if the header "fails".
post #9 of 11 Old 07-12-17, 00:41
tottenham12712

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

I've personally seen wraps ruin pipes, thats well documented especially on metals like Ti. As far as coatings go at combustion engine EGTs I doubt the pipe would fail due to not coating the insides (I have never seen it happen either), but not coating the insides pretty much defeats the whole purpose of coating it to begin with. First on pipes that can rust, the coating protects the metal, secondly the whole point of coating a pipe is to keep heat soak to a minimum which means faster exhaust gasses which translates to more power. Typically you see a 200-400 degree increase in EGTs which is usually a 2% gain in power and a little less in torque. The only thing youll see with a pipe coated on the outside is slightly less radiated heat, which for a street bike is probably the only thing you care about.

For those that do have a pipe coated on the inside, make sure you get it tuned afterwards. The higher EGTs and faster flow means the tune will lean out quite a bit and it will need to be spot checked.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-12-17, 09:32
Bamboo671

Garage
Good info above and something I never knew! Thanks! Is it ideal and possible to coat the inside of motorcycle headers? I imagine they aren't that much larger than car headers but wondering what the additional costs would be to get it done?

1997 YZF100R/Thunderace - She committed suicide 15Mar07!
2008 Daytona 675 - She was murdered 30Jan13
2013 Daytona 675R - Sexy reincarnation 15Mar13! Here's my build

"Win or learn...never lose"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement