Wrecked my 675 track bike and moving on.... - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 10 Old 07-23-16, 00:29 Thread Starter
IronCactus

Garage
Wrecked my 675 track bike and moving on....

Moving on to another Triumph!

So I totaled an amazingly well set up D675 at NYST 3 weeks ago today. The Donald would have called it a "tremendously huge" wreck. To everyone's surprise I walked away with some broken toes in my right foot and a badly sprained left ankle. I'll have to credit my Hit-Air RS1 for saving my bacon. The bike however didn't have the same luck, it bounced and went airborne over the tire wall and the front end impacted with several trees.
Here's the beautiful before

And the hideous mangled after
[IMG][/IMG]
A few weeks ago I came across this gem, a pristine 2011 675R with 5591 miles that hasn't been ridden for almost 2 years. The price was right and it was a local find.
[IMG][/IMG]
Now the conversion begins. Sharkskinz, 520 kit, and new front pads are inbound thanks to TJ @RidersDiscount . All fluids and fresh Q3's will get this bike started right.
[IMG][/IMG]
Keep an eye out for the street part out of the 2011 675R and some clean bits from the 2008 as salvaged by @munch . Eventually I'll get a thread going in the parts classified, and need to sell off bunch of stuff to avoid the wife killing me. If all goes as planned I'll be riding this 675R next Friday at NYST and the following Monday/Tuesday at NJMP. I'll do my best to keep it on the track.

3 generations of 675s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-23-16, 06:36
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCactus View Post
Moving on to another Triumph!

So I totaled an amazingly well set up D675 at NYST 3 weeks ago today. The Donald would have called it a "tremendously huge" wreck.

(...)
need to sell off bunch of stuff to avoid the wife killing me.
Nasty crash you had there mate. Glad you're OK and you're back on a Triumph.

Now, if the wife hasn't killed you already I think she never will
The Following User Says Thank You to Plasmablaster For This Useful Post:
IronCactus (07-23-16)
post #3 of 10 Old 07-23-16, 11:16
Razgreeze

Wow thats nasty. Glad to hear that you are okay. Good for you to keep riding and to get back to it so fast.

I'll be at NJMP 7/31/16 with N2TD if you'll be there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Razgreeze For This Useful Post:
IronCactus (07-23-16)

post #4 of 10 Old 07-23-16, 12:01 Thread Starter
IronCactus
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
Nasty crash you had there mate. Glad you're OK and you're back on a Triumph.

Now, if the wife hasn't killed you already I think she never will
Thanks. It was a tough off, the worst I've had. I slide and tumbled a good 50 yards. I was very lucky.

I looked at some ZX6's which is what I used to ride, but thought I'd miss the torque of the 675. I'm loving the 675 now but I'll regret it later when I need parts.

And yeah, you're right, if my wife hasn't killed me by now she probably won't. Because she's confident I'll do it myself

3 generations of 675s
post #5 of 10 Old 07-23-16, 12:09 Thread Starter
IronCactus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgreeze View Post
Wow thats nasty. Glad to hear that you are okay. Good for you to keep riding and to get back to it so fast.

I'll be at NJMP 7/31/16 with N2TD if you'll be there.
I'm sure I'll be VERY jittery this coming Friday at NYST which is where I wrecked. It will be my first day out on a new set up after the worst off I've ever had. I'm guessing most of my sessions will be more like sighting laps. Hopefully I'll get the suspension dialed a bit.

As for NJMP, I won't actually make it to the paddock until the morning of 8/1. I'm also an N2 member, I'm sure our paths will cross at some point.

3 generations of 675s
post #6 of 10 Old 07-24-16, 16:36
luciano136

Wow, glad you more or less walked away from this one! Speedy recovery!
The Following User Says Thank You to luciano136 For This Useful Post:
IronCactus (07-24-16)
post #7 of 10 Old 07-25-16, 06:44
J.Corr

Glad to hear you came out of it relatively well. I had a bad crash at Mid Ohio last year and just went back on the track Saturday. I went out with a coach the first session and got a tow. It helped me focus on the riding and watching his lines and not thinking about the crash. Next few sessions getting used to the bike (2012 675R) and I'm good to go. Also went air bag - but full air bag suit - Dainese D-air. It sounds like you are an experienced rider, so instincts will take over. May see you out at an N2 event sometime.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.Corr For This Useful Post:
IronCactus (07-25-16)
post #8 of 10 Old 07-25-16, 08:59
pbkid6974

glad you're ok. Guess we're two battered up Jersey riders. Your bike is definitely worse than mine tho. hopefully when I get mine back we can go for a ride.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-25-16, 09:23 Thread Starter
IronCactus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Corr View Post
Also went air bag - but full air bag suit - Dainese D-air. It sounds like you are an experienced rider, so instincts will take over. May see you out at an N2 event sometime.
I was lucky I "went airbag" before I needed it. Otherwise I'd surely have lung/rib/back/neck injuries. That D Air suit looks amazing, I hope you never need it.

I'm an experienced street rider, only been doing the track thing for a year. I've done mostly track riding schools and private small group track days.

I've been out on one street ride since my wreck and was ok, except for the spots on my road route where they are like "wheelie hill" at NYST (turn 7 uptown where I went off). Obviously I was running at street pace, a click or two above speed limit not fast enough to raise the front, but at each spot where the road presented a hill I got noticeably tense.

I'm going to take it easy this Friday, and for sure I'll get a tow in my first session. I know the coaches at this event and they will help me out with whatever I need.

3 generations of 675s
post #10 of 10 Old 07-25-16, 17:21 Thread Starter
IronCactus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbkid6974 View Post
glad you're ok. Guess we're two battered up Jersey riders. Your bike is definitely worse than mine tho. hopefully when I get mine back we can go for a ride.
Haha! Yep, it can be a tough racket. But your story is much more interesting than mine. Like a bad horror movie scenario. Good thing you had your protective beard on that day!

3 generations of 675s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement