Rim VS Rim - Triumph675.Net Forums
Polls 675/motorcycle polls

post #1 of 5 Old 07-30-15, 14:27 Thread Starter
mcperformance

Rim VS Rim

First person opinion on Stock VS lightweight magnesium VS Carbon Fiber rims; I've been racing for over 30 years and seen the benefits of aftermarket wheels, although rims over the last several years have become amazingly light, the benefit of lightweight racing wheels is still significant. First there is reciprocating mass which is like a gyro effect of a child's spinning top, the faster it spins the straighter up and down it wants to stay, which would represent a motorcycle leaning through a turn. Although the average lightweight wheel is only one and a half to three pounds in difference, the loss of weight is mainly on the outside of the diameter of the wheel, which reduces the gyroscopic effect and has a big difference in directional change through turns. The unstrung weight, would be like a yo-yo, at the bottom of the stroke pulling down on your hand. The lighter the yo-yo the less tug on your hand, ie: The lighter the wheels the less up and down tug on the suspension and the bike will handle bumps better with less effect on the chassis; lastly the wheels also have a flywheel effect, which means you will notice a slight increase on acceleration and deceleration. I've used many wheels over the years and i'd have to say strength and looks the carbon BST are the trickest and look the coolest. I've used them myself for a couple of years and put them on several of my bikes and have had no issues even after running off the track in high speed and Rock Laden Willow Springs.

Last edited by mcperformance; 07-30-15 at 14:56.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-30-15, 15:31
Grazzo

Garage
Rims! LMAO

Wheel VS Rim

- Grazzo
post #3 of 5 Old 07-30-15, 15:54
krazy

^ does it really matter? your not entirely correct either. A rim is a part of the wheel. And often times, a rim and tire assembly is referred to as a wheel.

Current Rides :
14 Daytona 675R - His
07 GSXR 600 - Hers----GONE
15 Street Triple - Hers
08 Chevy Avalanche - His
13 Chevy Malibu - Hers
02 Toyota Celica - Ours

post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-15, 17:04
Grazzo

Garage
Oh right. I am just playin.

- Grazzo
post #5 of 5 Old 07-31-15, 09:31
Far Canal

I've had my carbon rims for 3 years now and absolutely love them. Unfortunately they are not race legal here so I have to take them off for the race season but I'm lucky enough to also have a set on my road bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement