Underdog goes to Ireland - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Trip reports Been on tour? Tell everyone about it here. Old threads may later be moved to the regional forums.

post #11 of 13 Old 07-05-15, 04:42
topgunz1

Looking forward to this, Ireland was an amazing country and we really want to go back. Most everyone we met there was really welcoming and seemed happy that we were visiting their country and wanted us to have a good time.

If the conversion rate was anything like it is now when you went, you got off lucky! We got .77 euro on the dollar, right now it's .90!

ďFaster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.Ē
― Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by topgunz1; 07-05-15 at 04:58.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 07-10-15, 21:20 Thread Starter
The Underdog
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Day 2: Donegal and surroundings

On the second day, the ride took us through Glenveagh National Park and then to Glenveagh Castle. The national park was mostly "bog lands" and low mountains. Bog lands are full of something called "turf," which is an interesting thing that we don't really have in the US that I know of. Basically, it's thousands of years of wet, dead grass, all layered up. They dig it up with shovels that produce little brick-sized pieces that they dry out and burn as fuel. Here's a trench where they have been digging it up.

Here's what the area looked like. There were no fences or gates and we were able to ride off on random dirt roads.

Glenveagh Castle was pretty cool but wasn't really my favorite kind of castle. It was built pretty recently, 1870's, by a rich guy basically for the hell of it, and he was an *******. It was pretty, though, and had a great view.

After the castle and park was a ride out to the Slieve League cliffs. They are less popular than the Cliffs of Moher but that meant that we didn't have to pay to get in, there were no touristy gift shops full of junk, and no crowds. They were my favorite part of the day. The pictures, of course, don't do the place justice.

My girl is fascinated by rocks so she was looking at every single one of them and picking them up and ended up finding this amusing specimen.

As kind of a bonus, you can see this lone tower thing from the parking area. I took this picture through a set of binoculars and we decided to go see it up close.

There was no path to it, so we had to ride to where we thought it was, park, and walk toward the ocean to try and find it. Everything is so green and the grass grows so thick and fast that there was no obvious trail.

Here's what it looked like on the inside.

Here's what the sunset looks like over the North Atlantic.

It's hard to convey the way the ground is in Ireland. When I stood still, I could watch the ground flex as my girlfriend walked on it. Like the whole thing would move under her foot and all around. It was like a giant sponge we were walking on. The whole place looked like a golf course. Presumably the sheep keep the grass short. It was weird. There were no dirt-spots from constant foot traffic. It was like we were the only ones who had ever been there...

Our parking spot for the tower exploration expedition and the road back to the hotel.

The ride home that evening was a mess. We still didn't understand the GPS properly and it took us on some sort of long route home, where we passed the town and didn't realize it until we were about 20 miles out. While we were idling, trying to figure out the GPS, the oil light on her bike came on. I tried to check the oil but discovered that someone had cross-threaded the dipstick in the past, which made it almost impossible to get it back in. It was already dark, we probably lost an hour and a half, and we were cold. We had done a lot of hiking at the cliffs so we were tired too. We were so glad to be back at the room and then it took me 20 minutes and an actual internet search to figure out the weird European shower faucet. I think I was asleep before I actually made it to bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG188.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	172274   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050085.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	172282   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050115.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	172290   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050112.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	172298   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050105.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	172306  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050125.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	172314  
post #13 of 13 Old 07-28-15, 15:57
Bmore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
I forget what this giant pole is about but I do remember Keith telling us that everyone hates it because it costs $2 million to clean it and there are only 4 million people in the whole country. That struck me as interesting. That would be like the government spending $150 million here. I bet that amount of money gets spent all the time and none of us even knows or cares about it.
i was curious so i did a search. it's called the Spire of Dublin and it sits on the site of an old tower that was blown up by a bomb. it's 400ft tall, only 10 foot wide at the base, and it's stainless steel.

how to mount your fairings while high (very slowly with errors)https://youtu.be/OQbHxDPLkPM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement