Rubber Age - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 4 Old 09-26-19, 03:07 Thread Starter
irzimmer

Rubber Age

Hey all,

Quick question regarding tire age, 09 Daytona sat winterized cardboard under tires on cement garage floor for about 2.5-3 years. Dot manufacture date stamp has April2014 and September2014 on the rear and front respectively, maybe 2-3k miles on the tires (q3’s).

Any reason to be worried about the tires as far as aging? Looks good visually, just wondering if there’s any cause for concern....both had bled down to 20ish psi, pumped right back up, feel fine....let me know, thanks!

Ike

P.S. pretty happy with my winterization routine, bike fired right up after a couple revolutions, idled great and rolled on great with 3 year old stabilized gas! I don’t drain my tank, I don’t pull my plugs and oil drop/dry rotate, just park it on cardboard and startron in the fuel!

Last edited by irzimmer; 09-26-19 at 03:13.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-26-19, 04:33
Razgreeze

As long as the tires were not in direct sunlight the entire time they should be fine. Temperature extremes can prematurely fatigue the tires as well. Make sure you inflate them to the proper pressure. visually inspect the tires and examined for cracking and other issues and follow the appropriate warm up procedures for the tires. you can ride q3's pretty damn hard on the track. You shouldn't be getting anywhere near the stresses like that on the street.They are also a very versatile tire that can handle a range of situations. They were made for situations like this. Some of the pedigree race tires might not age as well as these would. If you are hauling ass through canyons then maybe it's time for new tires but if you were just going to commute with mostly riding at a reasonable pace you're going to be fine. Go ride and have fun.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 09-26-19, 11:12
Xyst

What Razgreeze said is all true, but I personally wouldn't ride hard on tires more than a year old, but I ride soft compound tires that degrade in cold weather. (Pirelli Supercorsa/TDs) Commuting/Street should be perfectly fine

post #4 of 4 Old 10-05-19, 13:09
scuncknuts

Unless you are doing a track day I would not worry. I would wear them out before buying new ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement