Brake refurb opinions needed - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 6 Old 03-07-19, 12:56 Thread Starter
BigMeowski

Brake refurb opinions needed

Just picked up this 2012 675R with 7k miles on it a few weeks ago and noticed there was corrosion around the brakes, chain and rotor. It was parked outside by the coast for a few months so exposure to the elements took its toll. The front pads had a bit of rust on them. I managed to clean off the brake pads as shown in the first 2 images with a dremel sander and abrasive pad. The pad on the left is what it looked like before cleaning. The rear brake pads looked fine but there was corrosion on the piston. 3rd photo shows what it looked like after I sanded it off with a Dremel abrasive pad wheel. Am I taking a chance by re using this rear piston and front brake pads or do they look good enough for street and track duty? The front and back seals look virgin and clean in the calipers so Im even thinking of keeping them in as is. Am I being too slack on this or should I be more thorough and pull the seals and replace everything? Feels like overkill due to the low miles on the bike. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190306_230632.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	248899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190306_230736.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	248901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190307_001744.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	248903  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-08-19, 10:12
t_bare

Garage
If the corrosion is outside of the sealing surfaces, run it. Pads look fine. Watch for someone parting a bike and buy a replacement if it makes you feel better but I'd run it until then. Back brakes are overrated.

t_bare

post #3 of 6 Old 03-08-19, 11:42
tottenham12712

I would replace the piston and pads. The pitting on the piston can cause the rubber boot to get cut and start leaking. As far as the pads are concerned you have no idea how they were treated, if they were ever over heated, etc. Not worth the $300 bucks it would cost to fix proper. Just my .02

post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-19, 08:45
Chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham12712 View Post
I would replace the piston and pads. The pitting on the piston can cause the rubber boot to get cut and start leaking. As far as the pads are concerned you have no idea how they were treated, if they were ever over heated, etc. Not worth the $300 bucks it would cost to fix proper. Just my .02
Ditto on the pads. As to the piston, it looks ok if the pitting doesn't contact the seals -- and they will go further into the caliper with new pads. That said, now that it's apart, I'd get a new piston. Moe importantly, how do the fronts look?

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-19, 15:16 Thread Starter
BigMeowski
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
Ditto on the pads. As to the piston, it looks ok if the pitting doesn't contact the seals -- and they will go further into the caliper with new pads. That said, now that it's apart, I'd get a new piston. Moe importantly, how do the fronts look?
Advice on these front pads seem to be split. I've removed all the corrosion and the actual pads seem fine, its just that there's this residual pitting which I'd think is harmless? As far as the front pistons, oddly enough they looked flawless, no rust or anything on them at all. Popped all the seals out and they all seem good too. I have ordered a replacement piston kit for the rear though. The pitting on it goes too far down and I'd worry that it would damage seals when a new set of pads go on. I know all this isn't stuff to cheap out on, but when you have friends that race and see them as say 'your good' I just get hesitant to go the extra mile, esp after I've spent so much to get the bike.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-11-19, 15:49
tottenham12712

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMeowski View Post
Advice on these front pads seem to be split. I've removed all the corrosion and the actual pads seem fine, its just that there's this residual pitting which I'd think is harmless? As far as the front pistons, oddly enough they looked flawless, no rust or anything on them at all. Popped all the seals out and they all seem good too. I have ordered a replacement piston kit for the rear though. The pitting on it goes too far down and I'd worry that it would damage seals when a new set of pads go on. I know all this isn't stuff to cheap out on, but when you have friends that race and see them as say 'your good' I just get hesitant to go the extra mile, esp after I've spent so much to get the bike.

If you have friends that race and saw that and said 'your good' do not ride their bikes. Just because someone races does not mean they know what the hell they are talking about, especially mechanically. Some of the bikes that line up next to me on the grid are in complete disrepair. You will be going 150-170mph depending on the track, you need your brakes more than anything else on that bike.

After every race weekend my calipers come off, pads removed, and the piston gets extended inspected and everything gets cleaned with soap and water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement