Triumph 675 Forums banner

Front brake lever replacement

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Kevin7909 
#1 ·
So I tried searching the forum to see if this was ever discussed and couldn't find anything. I'm trying to replace the factory levers on my 2017 Daytona 675R. The plunger for the factory front brake is integrated into the lever and cannot be removed (AFAIK). The levers that I bought (MZS) did not come with a plunger, and it looks like it was designed to use the factory plunger. Do any experienced folks here have any suggestions on what I could do, aside from returning the levers and buying a different brand?

#2 ·
Assuming the same front master is used on newer Daytona R's as it was on the older (pre '13) R's, then the plunger is removable. Unfortunately I can't remember off hand how and it's too late to check (I'm in bed). I'll check tomorrow. The second thing to note, is that there is a difference in levers between the R's and non-R's, and they are NOT interchangeable. Are you sure you got the correct lever?

#3 ·
Here's the front brake lever that I bought. The plunger is supposed to fit in there. However, I don't feel to comfortable in just having it sit there and trust that it won't pop out. There's nothing covering that area when it's installed. I'm thinking of either returning it or make my own plunger that'll sit in there secured (which means drilling a hole in the base of that indent to have a nut securing it).

Attachments

#4 ·
Ok, so I'm going with the route in making my own plunger. I'll be using a 3/8" shaft collar with a 1/4" spacer inserted in it. The shaft collar will have a set screw sticking out of it to make contact with the boot for the master cylinder. To keep the shaft collar and spacer secured in the lever, I'll be running a 10mm bolt that's 3/4" long through the spacer. This means I'll have to drill through the indentation on the lever where the plunger goes through. I'll secure the other end of the bolt with a washer and a 10mm nut. If this is a bad idea, please let me know now. If this is a great idea, I'll see if I can post pics of the process of building this part.

#5 ·
I just went to check, and your levers are virtually identical to mine and there is no way that the plunger will slide out of the lever. Drop the plunger into the lever, bolt the lever to the MC and try. It only takes 2 minutes to remove and replace the lever. I've had mine there for years and never once had a problem. You're creating more work for yourself than necessary.

#7 ·
I upgraded to Gilles Tooling levers and had the same issue. It looks like the plunger will unscrew from the Barrell, because it has a hex on it. So I put a deep socket on it, and cranked it loose. The threads immediately galled. The Gilles lever has a small dimple in it's barrel, so I slid the plunger under the boot like it's supposed to be, and set the Barrel dimple. The preload spring on the lever always keeps a small amount of pressure on it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
I upgraded to Gilles Tooling levers and had the same issue. It looks like the plunger will unscrew from the Barrell, because it has a hex on it. So I put a deep socket on it, and cranked it loose. The threads immediately galled. The Gilles lever has a small dimple in it's barrel, so I slid the plunger under the boot like it's supposed to be, and set the Barrel dimple. The preload spring on the lever always keeps a small amount of pressure on it.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I need the barrel too. The lever I bought didn't come with a barrel. That's the part that I'm having difficulty removing. I can't find anything that shows how to removed it.

#11 · (Edited)
The oem plunger can be removed without damaging anything. Actually, it's a nifty design because it allows you to adjust the initial bite position of the brakes without modification or purchasing a brembo corsa costa. There is a very tiny hex set screw in the lever. If you loosen it the plunger will freely spin and you can either remove it or reposition it and retighten that hex set screw. It's not dimpled. If you adjust this plunger be very careful that you don't move it far enough to block the return hole in the mc.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.