Sick of T-handle Hex Keys - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 11 Old 08-18-15, 21:32 Thread Starter
tool.nerd

Garage
Sick of $hitty T-handle Hex Keys

I have a nice set of 3/8"-drive hex keys for the ratchet...but that's not the best option for the majority of the hex bolts on the bike. I have a single Wiha 5mm T-handle that's awesome...for 5mm applications, of course.

I have a nice Lezyne "tri-tool" style with a 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm hex drives, but that doesn't work in tight spots. This means I have to default to my no-name set of "ergo-handles" from Northern Tool for all my other odd sizes.

So, my question is, has anyone found a favorite set of T-handles? Even better, has anyone put them through hell and back and determined which ones hold up worth a damn?

I've heard some great things about Snap-On's set (even though they don't make their own T-handles) and some other great things about PB Swiss....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-18-15, 22:11
cjc

Garage
I wore out a cheap set and splurged for the Snap-ons. The handles are better and more comfortable, the shaft twists less, and the tip fits more precisely in fasteners. I haven't had them long enough to know how they'll last, but so far I like them. Are they worth the extra money? Time will tell, but I don't regret the purchase. Would a mid-price set be a better value? Probably.

The Following User Says Thank You to cjc For This Useful Post:
tool.nerd (08-20-15)
post #3 of 11 Old 08-18-15, 22:36
Glocken

motion pro has some titanium pieces, I'm not sure how well the handles are.

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder

post #4 of 11 Old 08-18-15, 23:48
MakinBeer

Garage
I have a set of Motion Pro ball-end T-handles and they are great. The handle has a standard hex for extra leverage when you have the need and the room.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GU0MW0
post #5 of 11 Old 08-19-15, 08:35
Knolly
BOTM Winner

Motion Pro also makes a T-Handle adapter that you can use hex bits with.

Everyone's favorite lurker-without-a-Triumph-anymore.

Current Toys:
2008 Bimota Tesi 3D - 2017 Janus Phoenix - 2015 Dragster RR

Ghosts from My Past:
2015 Ninja H2 - 2013 Street Triple - 2009 Ninja 250 Track Bike - 2009 Daytona 675 - 2008 Street Triple
post #6 of 11 Old 08-19-15, 09:05
RCBS

Bondhus. The toughest hex keys I have ever encountered. The ball end is awesome for tight spots. The protanium steel is unbelieveable. They will actually twist instead of breaking. I don't have the T-handle, but have folding and L sets in the truck and on the gun bench. I expect them to last a lifetime if I can keep from losing them. Just used them last night to install a new tail lamp. The t-handles are solid steel and welded to the shank. USA made. Should cost much less than Snap-On.

I used various incarnations of the Bondhus tools for three years in a shop and never saw one break though I did manage to twist a small one while using a hollow nut driver on it as a cheater bar.

Wiha is a good brand also.

http://www.bondhus.com/bondhus_produ...dles/ball.html
The Following User Says Thank You to RCBS For This Useful Post:
tool.nerd (08-20-15)
post #7 of 11 Old 08-19-15, 15:08
NJL

+1 on Bondhus.

I was in the same position as you, could only find the cheap-o T-handles and they either snapped or broke the bolt I was trying to loose or tighten.

I bought a set with 8 T-handles on E-bay and so far they have done nothing but impress me. Nice rubber coating on the handles that does not break from drops on the floor etc. and great overall quality that just makes them a joy to use.

On top of that, not too expensive.
The Following User Says Thank You to NJL For This Useful Post:
tool.nerd (08-20-15)
post #8 of 11 Old 08-20-15, 12:26 Thread Starter
tool.nerd
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Sounds like Bondhus provides a good set of American made quality wrenches. Are the handles metallic under the grip material?

I couldn't help but notice that some of the Garage Journal threads said that Matco's were made of a really soft metal that rounded out after a few uses. Not what I expected from Matco.

Husky and Craftsman both offer some inexpensive sets at low prices, but they're missing a few sizes. Bondhus won TruckTrend's T-handle test, but they didn't do such a great job of testing since all they did was a "we used 4 sizes of them once," type test. Probably why they gave the Grip-Ons a lowish rating but yet didn't see any of them fail (and I agree, the Grip-On set has a buttload of sizes, but I know they're going to fall apart one day and a few of mine are starting to round off, but for $4.88 on sale at Northern, not too bad). (Pic of the Grip-On set located below).

Any other brands people have used or have good experience with? Thanks for the good news on the Bondhus ones--I've a feeling they may be my next purchase.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-21-15, 03:09
NJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool.nerd View Post
Sounds like Bondhus provides a good set of American made quality wrenches. Are the handles metallic under the grip material?
Indeed they are.

Look here to get answers about their product: http://www.bondhus.com/bondhus_produ...les/index.html
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-15, 20:41 Thread Starter
tool.nerd
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
I was about 2 clicks away from buying a set of Bondhus...when I saw a flash sale on Amazon of a set of Wiha t-handles for the same price.

The Wihas arrived today and are awesome. I dedicated my old Grip-on set to the router table and table saw area of the garage...and the Wihas are now dedicated to motorcycle use.

The minute I break the remaining Grip-Ons, I'll be ordering as set of Bondhus though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement