Thoughts on tire date stamp - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 7 Old 02-01-20, 18:56 Thread Starter
Tmccustoms

Thoughts on tire date stamp

I am preparing a 675r for the upcoming track season and I ordered a set of Michelin Power RS tires as I had them on my last track bike and I really liked the performance for the price.

My tires came in from STG and they have a date stamp of 2012 on them. The tires are literally older than the bike they are going on. They are replacing 3000 mile supercorsas that have a date stamp of 2014. Other than the date, the Michelin’s appear to be fine. Would you run a new tire with an 8 year old date on them?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0AED5520-2876-434C-95A9-D2175938C975_1580601381830.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	251811  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-01-20, 21:09 Thread Starter
Tmccustoms
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Found another stamp that could be a date code which appears to be 2019. Which one is correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D80F6D5E-EDB0-4ADF-AA13-08301629DAEC_1580609369717.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	251813  
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-20, 21:37
Far Canal

It's the 2nd one. The tyre was manufactured during the 31st week of 2019

post #4 of 7 Old 02-02-20, 01:26
MGFChapin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Canal View Post
It's the 2nd one. The tyre was manufactured during the 31st week of 2019
+1, they're only 6 months old. They're fine.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-03-20, 22:36
xxaarraa

Just my humble opinion - too much is often made of age of tires. As long as they have been stored in a dry environment with moderate temps, tires will be perfectly fine for years.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-04-20, 14:25
GoddessRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmccustoms View Post
I am preparing a 675r for the upcoming track season and I ordered a set of Michelin Power RS tires as I had them on my last track bike and I really liked the performance for the price.

My tires came in from STG and they have a date stamp of 2012 on them. The tires are literally older than the bike they are going on. They are replacing 3000 mile supercorsas that have a date stamp of 2014. Other than the date, the Michelin’s appear to be fine. Would you run a new tire with an 8 year old date on them?
I bought my Daytona last year after an insurance company wrote it off. It was only cosmetic damage so they had no major concerns as long as the price was right. I noticed the tyres had a date stamp of 2011 and 2012 and as soon as I took the bike for a ride I noticed that the tyres, while having plenty of tread, had zero grip. Turns out the previous owner wasn’t so observant, he bought it and crashed it on the first corner - the tyres were off. His loss, my gain
post #7 of 7 Old 02-04-20, 15:28
Arawn

In 2011 I got a 2003 XJR1300 that had less than 10 miles on the clock. Dude bought it new in 2005, rode it a couple times around the block and parked it in his garage under a cover. When I got it the Macadam 90X tires were like new, still shiny from whatever coating they have from new. Bike had been stored in a closed garage in Mexico City, with it's mild weather, all those years.

I ended up riding that bike from Mexico City to San Antonio on the Macadam 90s in 2012 and didn't replace them until the rear was bald. Never had an issue with those tires.

Back in 2017 I got my 2013 Daytona 675R with 5,000 miles on the clock. These things being so scarce it had to be a fly and ride, bought it in Monterrey, NL and rode it Mexico City. Monterrey is known for it's extreme weather and temperature swings, the bike had no signs of being exposed to the elements, so all the time it was parked it was under a roof, but not temperature controlled. The tires were flat spotted from being parked for so long (also squared off from straight line riding) and had little traction even though there was still some thread left. Had to take it very easy but they made the 500 miles back home; the bike vibrated like the tires were out of balance... But after removing the wheels I found out they were perfectly balanced.

All that is to say that it depends a lot on how they were stored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement