Triumph 675 Forums banner

675 damage NEED HELP!

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  natelepain 
#1 ·
So I was having my 2007 daytona 675 triple shipped from Washington to Idaho. 50,000 miles on it. the shipping company dropped my bike. Triumph of Boise gave me a parts list to fix it and it came in at $6,000 for just parts. Its totaled by value. My question is should I rebuild the bike anyway since I am getting cashed out or is it not even worth it at this point. I can buy 2011 675 for 5k to 7k with a ton less miles. My only issue is the graphite color is the color I want and they are very hard to find. Thoughts on this? Also does anyone have a ball park price on doing a complete engine and transmission rebuild for the daytona because at 50k in miles it will need a complete overhaul anyway to keep it going. It sucks because I love this bike but do not want to spend 10k on a bike worth 5k maybe less.

#2 ·
What did they drop it off of? A $6k drop is not something that results by a forgotten kickstand. Buy a bike and paint it if you can't find the correct color.

#3 ·
^^^All of this is on point. I wouldn't attempt to rebuild a bike with that much damage and with that many miles on it unless it had some super sentimental value. As an option, though, you could consider turning it into a track bike, assuming the "drop" damage didn't trash the frame, engine, etc. Do you have any photos of the damage?

#4 ·
I agree with the previous posters that it depends on the nature of the damage.

But on a separate issue, why do you assume that at 50,000 miles "will need a complete overhaul anyway to keep it going"? I have a Speed Triple with 116,000+ miles on it and it doesn't need an overhaul. Runs fine. If your Daytona has been raced or something, then sure, or if you've torn into the engine or have done a compression test or something and you know for a fact that it needs major work, then fine. But if you're just assuming a 50,000-mile engine needs a rebuild, I'd reconsider. These engines have a lot more mileage in them than most people assume, especially if they've been cared for with regular maintenance, synthetic oil, etc.

#5 ·
But on a separate issue, why do you assume that at 50,000 miles "will need a complete overhaul anyway to keep it going"? I have a Speed Triple with 116,000+ miles on it and it doesn't need an overhaul. Runs fine. If your Daytona has been raced or something, then sure, or if you've torn into the engine or have done a compression test or something and you know for a fact that it needs major work, then fine. But if you're just assuming a 50,000-mile engine needs a rebuild, I'd reconsider. These engines have a lot more mileage in them than most people assume, especially if they've been cared for with regular maintenance, synthetic oil, etc.
The speed triple is a completely different motor than the one in the Daytona. I have rebuilt a number of Daytona motors and have spare parts from others and can say that 50K is a fair amount for a Daytona. Most people that have Daytonas don't baby them. I would agree that it really depends on how the owner treated the motor.

At a minimum I would do the following:

1. Inspect the cams and cam ladder for wear. Make sure that the cams journals are within spec. I have seen a lot of wear here.

2. Remove the sump and look for debris in in the bottom.

3. If debris in the sump then pop the oil pump out, remove the cover and check for wear and to see how much debris has gone through the motor/pump.

4. Remove the timing chain and check it for stretch per the service manual.

5. Check the shift fork clearance which is easy with the sump removed.

If you see sign of debris then IMHO I would dig further(split the cases).

There is also the issue that a 07 has the Gen1 motor which is not the most reliable Daytona motor. The Gen2 motors are better and what I have in my gen1 bike until it gets its Gen3 motor:sifone:.

#6 · (Edited)
Also does anyone have a ball park price on doing a complete engine and transmission rebuild for the daytona because at 50k in miles it will need a complete overhaul anyway to keep it going. It sucks because I love this bike but do not want to spend 10k on a bike worth 5k maybe less.
It is going to be expensive unless you are able to do it yourself. The transmission should be good other than the shift forks which were changed in the the Gen2 motors. Parts wise you would need main and rod bearings, rod bolts, head bolts/washers, rings, wrist pins, timing chain, new updated oil pump, gaskets; 1.2Kish in parts excluding labor assuming that the head/cams are good.

#7 ·
I was hit by an SUV on my custom 2010 StripleR a few years back. 30K sMiles on the clock. I love my StripleR and rebuilt it to about 90%. I had to go to the UK to get a used replacement black tank. If I had it to do over, I wouldn't rebuild. I would move on. During the rebuild, I also build a couple Supermotos, sold them and bought a 17 Tiger 1200. I'm in full on love with the Tiger and the StripleR gets ridden sparingly. Picture is from tonight. Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.