Triumph 675 Forums banner

2013 Daytona 675r cylinder head questions

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  samwise_i 
#1 ·
I am new to the triumph world and I am getting a Daytona with a cracked head. I am in the process of getting the engine out and replacing the head and had some questions about it.
1) Are the headbolts one-time use bolts and if so, where can I get them?
2) Are there ARP equivalent bolts available?
3) Anything special I would need to know about the engine before breaking it apart?
4) Where is a good place to get a gasket set that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or is that just nature of the beast? What is the difference between the 2012 and the 2013 engines? I can find gaskets all day long for a reasonable price for the 2012 engine but not the 2013.
5) Is timing the engine a special process or is it consist of putting the engine on cylinder 1 TDC and lining up marks on the cam and crank and putting it on?

#2 ·
1. The studs can be reused. The nuts and washers need to be replaced. Hermy's is a vendor on this site and offers excellent service & prices https://www.triumphestore.com/
2. N/A
3. Get a service manual
4. See #1. Yes, they're expensive unfortunately. The valve cover gasket is reusable, so the gasket set from Triumph that includes that gasket seems like a waste. I would open it up, see what you need, and order gaskets individually. 2012 & 2013 are very different engines. 99% likely they don't share a gasket set.
5. See #3. There is a special cam timing tool you need.

#3 · (Edited)
I have a pdf service manual on dropbox and what I have been doing is printing all the sections out that pertain to what part of the bike I am currently working on. I found that website and those were the prices I was referring to but since I have learned it helps a vendor on this site I am not too worried about it now. Whew! I am assuming I can buy the nuts and washers from Hermy's website as well as the tool and single gaskets I would need for the job. Since the years are different I am not even going to worry about it now. Another question is is there anything about the Daytona a new Triumph owner should know? Maintenance items and things to pay attention to? Things to watch out for and avoid? I don't plan to track day it even though as she sits she is in race configuration because the nearest track to me is Barber. She is going to be a road queen and the occasional spirited drive. She also comes with race fairings, street fairings and stands for it. Is the special tool needed for the cams Part number: T3880640

#5 · (Edited)
Another question is is there anything about the Daytona a new Triumph owner should know? Maintenance items and things to pay attention to? Things to watch out for and avoid? I don't plan to track day it even though as she sits she is in race configuration because the nearest track to me is Barber. She is going to be a road queen and the occasional spirited drive. She also comes with race fairings, street fairings and stands for it.

Is the special tool needed for the cams Part number: T3880640
3rd gen Daytonas are pretty idiot proof as street bikes. The charging system should be pretty solid, which was the Achilles heel on older bikes. You'll want a Sato shift spindle holder ASAP if the bike doesn't already have one. The shift plate & star were updated in 2015 so if it starts not wanting to upshift in higher gears, especially with the quick shifter, it will need replacing. I suggest using the quick shifter as seldom as possible on the street anyway.

Yes, that's the correct cam timing tool. Make sure to also have qty 4 new cam sprocket bolts P/N T3053005 since they're one-time use only.

#4 ·
To save some cost on the gasket you can try making your own with gasket material. I made one for the Stator cover with gasket material from autozone, and has worked perfectly with multiply track days. Just take a bit of prep and patience to get it right.

Nvm i think the head gasket is the metal

#6 ·
I am new to the triumph world and I am getting a Daytona with a cracked head. I am in the process of getting the engine out and replacing the head and had some questions about it.
1) Are the headbolts one-time use bolts and if so, where can I get them?
If you have bolts then you have a gen2 engine.

2) Are there ARP equivalent bolts available?
ARP does have studs for the Gen1&2 engines, not sure about the Gen3.

3) Anything special I would need to know about the engine before breaking it apart?
Take a lot of pics and follow the service manual to the letter.

4) Where is a good place to get a gasket set that doesn't cost an arm and a leg or is that just nature of the beast?
Ebay

#9 ·
The engine is from a '13 so I am going to assume it has nuts correct?
Look at the oil cooler on the front of the engine, round Gen2, rectangular Gen3.

Are the nuts a one-time use or can you use them multiple times. If not, where do I find the part number for them and the nuts to order them?
Yes, according the the service manual they are one time use both the nuts and the washers. ARP makes nuts and washers as well. You might want to ask them about theirs because they may be multiple use.

Good luck.

#8 ·
Some 2013's were late-model 2nd gens, so the year alone doesn't tell us enough. Your bike is a late-model 2nd gen if it looks like this:

It's an early 3rd gen if it looks like this:

I buy all my OEM parts from Hermy's, but their fiche isn't great. If the part number isn't listed in the service manual, I head over to Bike Bandit and search in their OEM parts fiche to get a P/N. You need new nuts P/N T1150780 and washers P/N T3555015.
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2015-triumph-daytona-675-r/o/m156660#sch889398

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.