Turning a street bike into a track bike : 2011 Daytona 675 - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 20 Old 03-30-20, 02:08 Thread Starter
alpine 318is

Garage
Turning a street bike into a track bike : 2011 Daytona 675

Hello Triumph forum!! A little more than 2 years ago I bought @trumppking 2011 daytona 675. I had 3 street bikes ranging from an 1989 FZR 600 to a 2003 Kawi ZX6R. A daytona 675 was always a bike that I lusted over and when a blue one came up for sale locally from @MGFChapin who was dealing with the sale I just knew I had to have it. Luckily the price was right and so I snagged it even though there was snow on the ground. Paul @MGFChapin ) was a great salesmen and showed me around his shop and his track bikes and made the sale super easy.

Fast forward a year and I was ready to start getting serious about riding on the track. Riding a motorcycle fed my adrenaline habit but I was constantly fed up with cars that disagreed with sharing the road with motorcycles. I had done a track day with my FZR 600 in 2008 and 3 with my 03 GSXR on the east coast with NESBA and I knew that would be the way to get my fix. The 2011 Daytona 675 was just wayyyy to clean to throw down the track so I bought a 05 GSXR 600 to figure out if track days/racing was something that i wanted to pursue and 5 track days later I was all in. I sold the GSXR and bought a 2006 Daytona 675 track bike. I could tell that it had a hard life so I pulled off the nice track parts (GP Forks, Penske Shock and track body) and put it on the 2011 Daytona. I did one track day at the end of 2019 and started planning my 2020 season.

Now that the 2020 season is coming up quick this is my build thread as well as question thread on how i navigate this process and build the best race bike for myself. I cant thank Paul enough for the help so far, he's been amazing when it comes to technical processes as well as just general track knowledge. I literally would be in the dirt both metaphorically and physically if it wasn't for him.

As for the bike. The pictures will show but its mostly stock but some Attack rearsets and woodcraft clip ons. I've added some 2006 forks with GP internals and a Penske triple clicker rear shock. My plans for the build are both mechanical and electrical. I'm hoping to chop of the stock harness to get rid of all the BS to make everything more simple and clean. I'm fully comitted to this being a track bike so I'm gonna grind off unused fairing mounts and try to make it as clean as possible. I'm a bit OCD and I think the better you treat your bike the better it will treat you.

Futre mod plans:
Brembo 20x19
R6 brakes
Attack triples
Chomped up wiring harness - Paul told me to contact @MacBandit as apparently he is the wiring guru
Rear Link

Pictures:

Original for sale pictures

First picture at home with my old ZX6R

Couple Track Day Pictures:

Current Pictures:

Thanks so much everyone and looking forward to building her up!

--Seppi

2011 Triumph Daytona 675

Last edited by alpine 318is; 04-30-20 at 14:28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-30-20, 12:22
TTRIgnitionSystems
Site Sponsor

Have you considered a Quick Shifter? Bolt-on Plug-in kit US$150 + $15 for the postman, in stock.

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll
=> Bolt-on / Plug-in QS kits for Triumph 675/765
=> Bolt-on / Plug-in Reverse (GP) Shift kit for Triumph 675/765
post #3 of 20 Old 03-30-20, 14:00
MGFChapin

Garage
I'm excited to watch the progress on your build. It's always nice to see a friend's former bike given a new life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRIgnitionSystems View Post
Have you considered a Quick Shifter? Bolt-on Plug-in kit US$150 + $15 for the postman, in stock.
The bike already has one.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-31-20, 00:36
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
I also do floating rotor conversions and I have the R1 calipers on my bike if you're interested in seeing a photo.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-31-20, 15:00
TheBeerHunter

If you want to change calipers, go with the brembo M4s from the R model and pair them with a Brembo GP mk2 19x18. Ive run team endurance races on my bike and have R6 guys saying "Holy shit, your brakes kick ass"
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBeerHunter For This Useful Post:
ricracer16 (04-01-20)
post #6 of 20 Old 03-31-20, 19:04
Renboy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter View Post
If you want to change calipers, go with the brembo M4s from the R model and pair them with a Brembo GP mk2 19x18. Ive run team endurance races on my bike and have R6 guys saying "Holy shit, your brakes kick ass"
The calipers from the Daytona R will not fit non-R forks. Cheap brembo bolt on's can be had from gsxr's.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-01-20, 01:17 Thread Starter
alpine 318is
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
I've already sourced the correct R6 Brakes, spacers, lines and Brembo Master and I think for my skill and speed level those should do great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I also do floating rotor conversions and I have the R1 calipers on my bike if you're interested in seeing a photo.
Always interested in seeing mods. I do already have floating rotors and the R6 calipers ready to go.

2011 Triumph Daytona 675
post #8 of 20 Old 04-02-20, 10:51
TTRIgnitionSystems
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
The bike already has one.
It's hiding!

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll
=> Bolt-on / Plug-in QS kits for Triumph 675/765
=> Bolt-on / Plug-in Reverse (GP) Shift kit for Triumph 675/765
post #9 of 20 Old 04-05-20, 23:58 Thread Starter
alpine 318is
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Starting the process of chopping up the wiring harness. Starting at the back and working my way up.

I think these are for the lights in the rear, is that correct?
IMG_2578 by Joseph Hutter, on Flickr

Whats this for?
IMG_2579 by Joseph Hutter, on Flickr

Is it safe to cut the battery tray area along this line? It doesn't appear that the part behind it is holding or connecting anything.
IMG_2580 by Joseph Hutter, on Flickr

2011 Triumph Daytona 675
post #10 of 20 Old 04-06-20, 13:24
MGFChapin

Garage
1. Looks like the plug for the taillights, yeah.
2. That's the plug for the OEM alarm system. Yours is blanked off.
3. Why do you want to cut there? Is there any heat shield on the exhaust side of the battery tray?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement