Help with tire choice. Limited options. - Triumph675.Net Forums
Tire Tech For all discussions related to your Tires and what you are running.

post #1 of 17 Old 11-07-17, 04:07 Thread Starter
ramnakhle

Garage
Help with tire choice. Limited options.

Hi guys. I know this is a widely discussed topic but I'm in a pickle and have limited options because availability is very limited in my country. It is very frustrating.

Bike: 2014 D675 R.
Riding: 70% Aggressive street riding and canyon carving. 30 % Commuting. No track.
Currente tires: Bridgestone RS10.

When my stock Supercorsas went out I literally went around the whole country looking for a fresh set and couldn't find any. Basically all they had were size 190 and I wasn't about to fit wider tires on, geometry and all.
I loved those tires and got to know them like I know my feet. I was very reluctant to change brands but I was obligated to. I found a set of Bridgestone RS10s for a good price and a fresh 2017 batch so I went for it.
The RS10s were very good, but not as good as the SCs. They had good grip, good feel, and turned in nicely. But I could feel the bike was a bit heavier to tip in under breaking. Yes, I know it's supposed to be this way, but it was considerably more noticeable on the RS10. I used to be able to carry much more speed and brake heavier and later into corners on the Supercorsas with MUCH less fight back from the front end trying to stand up and go wide. I know I'm no MotoGP rider but I was more comfortable with the SCs.

My current problem

Well a month ago I low sided my bike when i hit an unexpected wet patch in a turn. The bike hit the center divider and that smashed the rear wheel and tail. Other than that no significant damage. BUT, the rear tire is toast. So I went back to my tire dealer for a new RS10 rear. Guess what! no more 180. He only has it in 190. Back to square 1.

So after looking around extensively here are my only 2 options.

Bridgestone S21
Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa

So my questions are as follows

Anyone who has tried the Rosso Corsa (not the rosso III) please share your experience with these tires.
Are they equivalent to the S21? or the RS-10 in terms of track/road racing application?

I am interested in sporty handling, turn in speed and accuracy, dry grip, and do not care much about mileage. I do not ride in the rain or on wet roads. I would hate to install a new set of tires and lose that nimble flickable handling I love about my daytona.
I do not wish to install any size other than 180/55 rear.

Hope this is not too picky, but like i said, I have very limited options here and it makes me mad!!

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-07-17, 10:38
beatle

There are a lot of sport tires out there. Why are the S21 and Rosso Corsa your only two options? I like the Q3 (and probably) Q3+ myself.

I ride too slow on the street to really notice differences in tires, but I loved running the Q3 this season on the track. I ran the S20 EVO (predecessor to the S21) previously for one track day. It was nice, but I then swapped it to my street bike where it earned its keep on a boring highway commute.

2010 Street Triple R (street)
2018 Bobber Black
2019 Honda Monkey

Last edited by beatle; 11-07-17 at 10:40. Reason: Added Bridgestone feedback
The Following User Says Thank You to beatle For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (11-07-17)
post #3 of 17 Old 11-07-17, 10:54
norcolmille

I have loved the new q3+ and a friend got me a great deal on the new pilot power 3's

both have increased wear - and much improved traction even in the wet- the new "next generation" tire
The Following User Says Thank You to norcolmille For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (11-07-17)

post #4 of 17 Old 11-07-17, 11:20 Thread Starter
ramnakhle
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
There are a lot of sport tires out there. Why are the S21 and Rosso Corsa your only two options? I like the Q3 (and probably) Q3+ myself.

I ride too slow on the street to really notice differences in tires, but I loved running the Q3 this season on the track. I ran the S20 EVO (predecessor to the S21) previously for one track day. It was nice, but I then swapped it to my street bike where it earned its keep on a boring highway commute.

Thanks for your input and I’m sorry if I didn’t make it clear. The reason these are my only two choices is that there are simply no other tires available in my country. Dealers are scarce and their stocks are very limited. They only get a few sets of the most popular tires and these high end sports tires are too expensive for them to stock up on.
I’ve gone through 5 separate dealers and these are the only tires they have available.

Yes I know. This sucks major ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 17 Old 11-07-17, 14:49
jsedacca

Rosso corsa is a good tire. One of my ducs came with them mounted and you're not going to find their limits on the street. Turn in was nice and the bike went where you pointed it. I still like the q3 and q3+ better but their a good choice with your limited selection
The Following User Says Thank You to jsedacca For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (11-07-17)
post #6 of 17 Old 11-08-17, 06:47
beatle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnakhle View Post
The reason these are my only two choices is that there are simply no other tires available in my country.
Ah, that makes sense. I know shipping tires internationally can be prohibitively expensive as well.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd get the S21s since I've had good experience with the family, but people rarely have a bad word to say about Pirelli either.

2010 Street Triple R (street)
2018 Bobber Black
2019 Honda Monkey
The Following User Says Thank You to beatle For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (11-08-17)
post #7 of 17 Old 11-08-17, 07:43 Thread Starter
ramnakhle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsedacca View Post
Rosso corsa is a good tire. One of my ducs came with them mounted and you're not going to find their limits on the street. Turn in was nice and the bike went where you pointed it. I still like the q3 and q3+ better but their a good choice with your limited selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
Ah, that makes sense. I know shipping tires internationally can be prohibitively expensive as well.

That said, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd get the S21s since I've had good experience with the family, but people rarely have a bad word to say about Pirelli either.

Yes. Thanks guys.
An RS10 rear tire plus international shipping and customs tax will cost me more than 1 1/2 times a full set of Rosso Corsas. Not to mention the time it would take to get here. No way.

I think I will go with the Pirellis.
Ugh I would kill for a set of Supercorsas

Cheers guys

post #8 of 17 Old 11-08-17, 12:15
levent

s21 and rosso corsa have similar performances. most noticable differences between them can be front tire profile. pirelli has more agressive profile so quicker to lean, s21 feel more gradual leaning, so it can add to stability. IMHO, if these differences no matter to you go with the cheaper one.
The Following User Says Thank You to levent For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (11-08-17)
post #9 of 17 Old 11-08-17, 13:00
Cloner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnakhle View Post
Yes. Thanks guys.
An RS10 rear tire plus international shipping and customs tax will cost me more than 1 1/2 times a full set of Rosso Corsas. Not to mention the time it would take to get here. No way.

I think I will go with the Pirellis.
Ugh I would kill for a set of Supercorsas

Cheers guys

It might be a silly question, but why not ask your local dealers to order what you really want? Most places of business will do whatever you want as long as they make money in the doing. Offer to pay for them at the time of order and just wait for your order of Diablo SuperCorsa to show up!

"Never appeal to a man's better nature. He may not have one. Invoking his self-interest gives you more leverage."
---Robert A. Heinlein
The Following User Says Thank You to Cloner For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (11-08-17)
post #10 of 17 Old 11-08-17, 14:50 Thread Starter
ramnakhle

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloner View Post
It might be a silly question, but why not ask your local dealers to order what you really want? Most places of business will do whatever you want as long as they make money in the doing. Offer to pay for them at the time of order and just wait for your order of Diablo SuperCorsa to show up!

Oh believe me I have tried. Usually it is the first thing I say as soon as I find out they’re “out of stock”. When I got the RS10 set I was looking for supercorsas and practically begging the dealer to order a set for me. No luck. The truth is they just wanna get rid of their stock, and they’re always promoting one brand or one tire over the other. It is always a fact that whatever they have in stock is “better” than what the customer wants. For example The S20 is a “racing tire” and is “better and newer” than the supercorsa. And that’s because they have 2 sets of S20 in stock and they wanna get rid of it.
It’s crazy what we have to deal with over here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement