Triumph 675 Forums banner

New owner, oil pressure light staying on in cluster

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Monsterhouse 
#1 ·
2009 675r I just bought the bike today after eying it for a while. The guy was decent and doing business was a pleasure. I do my inspection,. The bike is bone stock with the exception of ss lines and a gp shifter. Aesthetically in great condition for her age, tires were less then 2 years old and almost 100% all the seals were good, suspension felt right, everything was tight and there. Turn the ignition, pre check is good,but when I cranked the motor, the oil pressure light stayed on in the cluster. Turned the bike off and checked the oil, it was clean and topped off. I asked him about it, he said it came on last fall. So now I'm worried. I ask if I can start it again, he says sure. Crank it again, no noises, knocks or rattles, other than the tensioner chain faint clicking.... But still, OPL. I take a few minutes to try and look on the internet, and I find it's pretty commonly the sensor switch. So I figure I'll test ride it, if the bearings seize on the test ride, it's still his bike. The bike ran incredibly smoothly and was feeling pretty confident that it was just the sensor based on the way the bike performed. The only thing that came to mind as we loaded the bike on my truck was the ramps he was using to load into and off off his. The bike ran the ramp at almost 45° and pivoted on the oil pan just to get it up into the bed. But after a two hour ride home, the OPL is still on. Any help would be amazing, since I'm now feeling like I made a huge mistake, now that the adrenalin of being I front of a new and available bike has washed away, and I'm left with a bike I know very little about. Thanks again.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome, and change the pressure switch. Idiot light switches are generally pretty cheap and generic.

#4 ·
I'm not going to say it's safe because I don't know. That said, I would ride it if it was mine.

Out of curiosity, where in the great white north are you?

#6 ·
I ride through there once a year. My friend has a cottage on Rice Lake just outside of Hastings. Every summer a bunch of us get together for a weekend at that cottage and I always take a very scenic route to get there.

#8 ·
Your starting point is my ending point unfortunately. I have no problem meeting up and shooting the siht for a while though.

#10 ·
Depending on your level of technical skills you could always rip into the bike and see if the sensor has came loose, past that, it's not leaking and you know there's good oil. I'd ride it like I stole her, as I do with 06, have fun and welcome. >:)

#12 ·
Depending on your level of technical skills you could always rip into the bike and see if the sensor has came loose, past that, it's not leaking and you know there's good oil. I'd ride it like I stole her, as I do with 06, have fun and welcome.
Thanks for the advise. Stripped her down, sensor issue resolved. The boot was filled with gunk. Cleaned the contact point and all good. Now I just have to work on this CEL and we're all good. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.