Hot Alternator - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 3 Old 10-25-20, 07:11 Thread Starter
spychic

Garage
Hot Alternator

I *think* the round black case on the drive side middle is the alternator, and if so, after my 15 mile ride yesterday, it stayed hot for an hour. Exhaust and all other parts of the bike were cool by then, as I had gone back out to cover it. Since the summer the fan is coming on at intersections after maybe 15 minutes in any temperature, but yesterday was 65 degrees or so.

Local place I take the bike is putting tires on soon and I had planned on asking if they could flush the radiator but they have twice said Ds run hot and it's not necessary. In my 6 years with the bike, it has not been done. I used to do it semi annually on my dirt bikes.

But these may not even be related as there is not much else I'm noticing but for heat. No engine lights on, yet. And only other issue is slight chain or shift timing delay before it's warm. Look forward to any ideas you all may have as to why this part would be staying so hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-25-20, 11:22
Renboy

Garage
The stator is under that cover, and if it's that hot you may have a problem with the reg\rec.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-01-20, 11:00
Arawn

When its on the side stand the oil will collect to the left side of the bike, where the stator is. Parts like the exhaust will cool much faster than the engine, and even parts of the engine will cool down at different rates; for example the clutch cover is farther away from the heat producing bits and has very little contact to anything behind it. I bet if you touch the crankcase in the middle, behind the exhaust, it will be pretty close to the same temperature the stator cover is after one hour.

At 6 years it does need a coolant flush, its over due. Also check that the radiator cap is holding pressure and the thermostat is opening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement