I just bought my first bike ever, an '06 675. Two-part question. - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 11 Old 08-10-20, 17:38 Thread Starter
675anon

I just bought my first bike ever, an '06 675. Two-part question.

First bike ever. Never as much as sat on a bike before. I'd like to know what you would immediately repair/replace/service if you were in my shoes. Bike is a 2006 675 with 33,800 miles on it.

Part 1: I plan on taking it to a shop and having a professional look it over/work on it. The chain is in good condition, the bike itself has been dropped at 0mph one single time and has hardly any scratches on the frame, there's no evidence of burnouts or reckless ownership... only seen one track day, the brake discs aren't warped in the slightest, black smoke isn't coming out of the exhaust. What exactly should I be asking the shop to go over?

Part 2: The bike itself has been sitting in previous owner's garage for the last year, which I think has led to my only real issue with the bike: it won't start now. Am I going to get lucky and just end up needing to replace the battery?

TL;DR: rode it once for 30 minutes, loved every second of it, turned it off, decided to go back and ride it again not even an hour later, bike wouldn't turn on but cluster would light up very briefly.

Details:

I went to see the bike in person this past Friday, the 7th of August. It was cold upon my arrival without me even asking. It started right up and blew some dark-ish colored smoke out for maybe a quarter of a second, if that. No big deal. I gave it a few revs to feel the throttle response and that was that. Everything performed/looked just as expected. I looked the bike over and was on my way.

I went back to purchase the bike Sunday, August 9th, aka yesterday, and it started right up as we pulled it onto a trailer. A few miles later and it was home and parked next to my car and ready to ride. A torrential downpour decided to cancel my plans to ride it that same day (yes, bike was covered).

Fast forward to today. I get home around noon and immediately hop on the bike. Everything starts up immediately and I ride it around my apartment complex for probably 30 minutes. Had the time of my life and I only went 15 mph, max. Great. I feel like a natural on this thing. I park it, turn it off and go back inside. 45 minutes goes by and I decide **** it why not hop on it again...

I hop on... but this time it doesn't start. The cluster lights came on after turning the key... and that's it. They all faded away and were gone for good. Engine wouldn't start. I'm guessing dead battery but the previous owner, within the last year of him owning it, replaced the battery with a lithium battery. I don't know much about batteries but I'm really doubting it's just the battery, and I'm doubting it's as simple as hooking the battery up to a trickle charger, which I will be doing overnight tonight just to be sure.

I know to check for damaged wiring and I know I can trickle charge the battery and try again tomorrow. That's really all I know about this issue. I've heard there have been regulator/rectifier issues with these bikes and I 100% plan to replace my current one with the MOSFET one. From here I'm lost.

I plan on taking it in and asking them to identify and fix the issue with the bike not starting. I plan on replacing the r/r regardless of if it's causing issues or not. And... I plan on getting a full inspection. What else, if anything, do I need to do/watch out for with this bike?

Last edited by 675anon; 08-10-20 at 23:45.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-10-20, 20:35
MaDgamEr

Hope you read this first, but do not trickle charge your lithium battery! You will damage it unless you use a lithium battery charger.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
post #3 of 11 Old 08-10-20, 22:07
Renboy

Garage
As mentioned, use an appropriate charger for a lithium battery. Secondly, I have my doubts that it's the battery that is causing your issue. The battery dying is the symptom of your issue. It could be the stator, it could be the reg/rec, or it could simply be the wiring/connections between the stator and the reg/rec or the reg/rec and battery. How good are you with a multimeter? Or if you're taking it to a shop, they shouldn't have any trouble figuring out the problem.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-10-20, 23:42 Thread Starter
675anon
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Previous owner gave me a Noco G3500. Would this damage it? Seems like a pretty reputable charger from what I saw online.

Luckily I've yet to attempt anything.

As for the bike, there are no active recalls and as it turns out the previous owner did replace the regulator/rectifier. Looks like I'm looking at a stator issue or wiring issue then. I don't own a multimeter but I'll grab one tomorrow.

Last edited by 675anon; 08-10-20 at 23:58.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-11-20, 01:20
ramnakhle

Garage
I just bought my first bike ever, an '06 675. Two-part question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 675anon View Post
Previous owner gave me a Noco G3500. Would this damage it? Seems like a pretty reputable charger from what I saw online.

Luckily I've yet to attempt anything.

As for the bike, there are no active recalls and as it turns out the previous owner did replace the regulator/rectifier. Looks like I'm looking at a stator issue or wiring issue then. I don't own a multimeter but I'll grab one tomorrow.

Itís not just about reputability. Charger needs to be designed to charge Li ion batteries.

Get a multimeter and test your voltages before diving into the wiring. Always start with the simplest most common problems. If you donít get the right voltages from battery and R/R then act accordingly.

Once you get things up and running, that bike has seen a few miles! 33,380 miles or ~ 54,000 Km. Need to make sure that engine has been properly maintained and followed.

Most important items of the top of my head

- valve clearances need to be checked and probably will be out of spec unless properly done by prev owner.
- coolant flush and replacement
- spark plugs
- check all hoses (coolant, fuel, vacuum...) for cracks and replace as needed
- No brainers like oil and filter, air filter, brake pads and rotors, brake fluid bleed and replace.

There are many, many more maintenance items that need to be gone over thoroughly. Do these before you ride the crap out of it.

Check for scheduled maintenance charts for these bikes. Youíll find them everywhere. Follow to the letter and sheíll be a happy bike for a long long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 Old 08-11-20, 10:38
Rsnet

I think you were luck that it fired up on your first visit having sat in the garage for a year.
Any battery would not like this, but lithiumís will die.

Again luck had it for you to start the bike and ride around the block at 15 mph.

All this startups were luck and neither had time or enough revs to replace back the charge you removed by starting the motor.

You should replace the battery, best to go for a standard type, charge this up before fitting

Once you have a good battery and a multimeter/ or volt meter, you can start the bike and measure whilst itís at tick over, then increase the revs to 5000 rpm to measure again if itís charging

Then, as others have mentioned, you may have other issues. But first replace that battery
post #7 of 11 Old 08-11-20, 10:57 Thread Starter
675anon

Another question, and thanks to all for the replies so far, can I take this to any reputable bike mechanic? Or would I need to specifically seek out the Triumph places? I’d be taking it in for a full fluid/filter swap, a full inspection, and possibly to diagnose the battery issue if I don’t get it figured out in the next day or two. Seems easy enough for a decent mechanic... but that’s exactly what I thought when I brought my Alfa Romeo to a local “reputable” service center for a simple alignment, and they royally ****ed that one up...

'06 Daytona 675
'17 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Last edited by 675anon; 08-11-20 at 13:19.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-11-20, 18:31
Renboy

Garage
Alfa's surprise attack EVERYONE!

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-12-20, 11:28 Thread Starter
675anon

Car is a dream to drive... and nothing short of a nightmare to get serviced. This whole 1 dealership in all of GA thing ain’t cutting it

'06 Daytona 675
'17 Alfa Romeo Giulia
post #10 of 11 Old 09-01-20, 16:11
occupodies

I own an 06 Daytona 675. Some things to be wary of: the oil level is not well reflected by the dipstick, there's a separate thread somewhere else about this, just use google to find it if you ever change the oil. The regulator on these things is very finicky, I had my regulator hardwired into the bike (literally soldered the connections together) to avoid it from arcing and wearing out again and coming to the same charging issues over and over again. You should probably remove the SAI system. I would recommend eventually getting a tuneecu compatible serial to usb cable and running that to check and test all the sensors. Daytona 675's are not known for having long lasting sensors, I've replaced a few on my bike already. If you're having gear switching issues (in terms of it tracking the gears properly), this issue is very common, you don't need to replace the gear position sensor, just pull it out and clean it. There will be an oring on it though that might need to be replaced every time you pull it, as it gets irreversibly compressed after some time.

Have fun, don't burn yo nuts waiting in traffic (the pipe under the seat really gets warm during the summer, enjoy).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement