Starting Issues - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 29 Old 12-28-20, 09:09 Thread Starter
Jase36

Starting Issues

Hi.

Tried starting my 2008 Daytona 675 last week and she refused to fire up. Engine turned over and everything sounded as it should but just turned over until the battery died. Left it on charge for a few hours went back and after a little hesitation it got going.

Tried again the other day and same issue. Won’t fire up. This time the battery has been charged, still wouldn’t go, and charged again, still refusing!

I’ve now taken the battery out, and left it on charge for a few days. Checked the spark plugs, they were very rich in fuel but I assumed that’s just because I’ve been trying to start it with no luck, cleaned them and checked the spark on all of them. All good.

Checked the fuel pump is working and it is, also checked the CPS and it’s reading 199 resistance as it should so that’s within limits. I’m now a little stumped as to what it could be. Cleaned out the air filter too but after doing all this it still won’t go.

Battery is reading good volts and amps.

Any other ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 12-28-20, 10:43
Bat-1

Has the bike been out in the rain? Or sat for long time?

Friend of mine had similar symptoms on his Striple. Turned out water had gotten into the fuel tank (the seal at the gas cap tends to not seal completely as they get older).

Water being heavier than gas will sink to the bottom. Pump sucks it into the injectors and no more ignition/combustion.

Cleaned it out, fresh gas, and back to normal.

Even if this is not your situation. It sounds like it isn't liking the fuel it's getting.
post #3 of 29 Old 12-28-20, 11:21 Thread Starter
Jase36
Threadstarter Threadstarter

It’s always been garaged and never spent anytime in the rain since I’ve had it.

I have it for the track and do dry days only. it’s been left on a trickle charger since I’ve last had it out, I start it every couple of weeks just to keep it all turning over and this problem has only just creeped in. Fuel tank was completely empty a few months ago and I topped it up with high octane as I always do, so it’s not like the fuel has been sat there for ages either 😕

post #4 of 29 Old 12-28-20, 15:20
Bmore

Garage
how old's your battery? it could still be bad even though it's showing fully charged
post #5 of 29 Old 12-28-20, 15:22
Bmore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat-1 View Post
Has the bike been out in the rain? Or sat for long time?

Friend of mine had similar symptoms on his Striple. Turned out water had gotten into the fuel tank (the seal at the gas cap tends to not seal completely as they get older).
was that a purple one in maryland?
post #6 of 29 Old 12-28-20, 19:39 Thread Starter
Jase36

Ordered a new battery just in case, it’s only 12 months old and always been left on a trickle charge.

Thought I may as well give it a go, but it does seem to be cranking fine
post #7 of 29 Old 12-29-20, 11:09
Bat-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore View Post
was that a purple one in maryland?
No, black one in Georgia.

If the battery is spinning the motor solidly and you have spark (air can be assumed), it only leaves gas. Either the quality of it or the amount/lack of it.

Since your plugs are wet it seems to not be lack of it.

Other possible culprits like timing or compression aren't just going to just develop overnight, unless something like the CPS became unplugged (I have had this plug melt on one of these. Probably worth checking the plug.).

Another simple thing to try is to jump it with your car battery. This will in no way hurt the bike if the car is not running, and unlikely even if it is.
post #8 of 29 Old 12-29-20, 13:27 Thread Starter
Jase36

New battery has arrived today, going to leave it charge overnight before giving it a go tomorrow, I’ll update how it goes.

There’s definitely fuel through the whole system, so as you said if the issue is fuel then it has to be the quality.

If I were to empty and clean the fuel pump myself, would that suffice? Or would the injectors need a clean out too? Any idea how much that would cost because I’d prefer them to be done professionally.
post #9 of 29 Old 12-29-20, 16:23
Bat-1

There's little fuel in the injectors and repeated starting attempts will spray it out.

I wouldn't pay to have them cleaned unless you really suspect they're clogged (something I've actually never seen. Besides all three aren't going to clog at the same time).

There is a fair bit in the pump itself (more than you can work out by repeated starting without going through a few batteries) and in the lines to the injectors.

This is from the bottom of the tank of a bike that wouldn't start:

After you unplug the supply line from the pump put a container next to the pump nipple (ideally add a bit of hose to it temporarily) and turn on the bike. That way you'll have a sample of what's at the bottom of your tank.

You'll then want to remove the pump and let it drain completely. Shoot some brake cleaner into the fuel supply line. This will displace the existing fluid and then quickly evaporate leaving it empty for the new gas when you hook everything back up.

Last edited by Bat-1; 12-29-20 at 17:02.
post #10 of 29 Old 12-29-20, 16:24
Bat-1

In case it isn't obvious. In the photo that's gas on top, water at the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement