Engine stands? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 11-11-19, 16:54 Thread Starter
GMike278
Junior Member
 
GMike278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 67
Thanks: 11
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Engine stands?

Reroll's teardown thread and MGFChapin's awesome response got me thinking about engine stands. I've seen some universal stands for sale online and was wondering if anyone had one that worked for the 675 / 765 motors. (verses getting creative welding up some tubing / wood etc).

Cheers,
Mike
GMike278 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 11-11-19, 17:54
MGFChapin
Senior Member
 
MGFChapin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,695
Thanks: 81
Thanked 330 Times in 302 Posts
Garage
I've been barking up that tree for years. If we don't get an answer, we need to find someone with a loose spare motor and get a few stands welded up.

I have a stand from Tyga that I absolutely love, for my NSR250. Something similar for the 675 would be so much better in the shop than wood blocks. We just need dimensions for the engine mounts and I can ask a few different local welders for quotes.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enginestand2-ba539d63.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	251213  

Last edited by MGFChapin; 11-11-19 at 17:59.
MGFChapin is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 11-11-19, 18:08 Thread Starter
GMike278
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
GMike278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 67
Thanks: 11
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
I've been barking up that tree for years. If we don't get an answer, we need to find someone with a loose spare motor and get a few stands welded up.

I have a stand from Tyga that I absolutely love, for my NSR250. Something similar for the 675 would be so much better in the shop than wood blocks. We just need dimensions for the engine mounts and I can ask a few different local welders for quotes.


I'd get in on that for sure! (c'mon welders on the forum)

I was looking at this one:



I like that it allows you to rotate the motor around but really I just want something like the Tyga. (also not sure if the one above would mount up to a 675.)
GMike278 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old 11-11-19, 18:13
MGFChapin
Senior Member
 
MGFChapin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,695
Thanks: 81
Thanked 330 Times in 302 Posts
Garage
That's pretty trick, but it'd be more expensive to build and to ship. The Tyga stand allows you to stably tilt the engine onto either pair of legs, so you could do essentially the same jobs as the fancy rotating stand.
MGFChapin is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 11-20-19, 17:57
MGFChapin
Senior Member
 
MGFChapin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,695
Thanks: 81
Thanked 330 Times in 302 Posts
Garage
Came across this homemade one on Facebook. The guy is in the UK, but I asked if we can get specs. I'm also working with a domestic welder to see if we can make a batch of reasonably-priced stands. We'll see.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76182207_10221693985804875_217354649739460608_n.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	251307  
MGFChapin is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 11-21-19, 00:27
keeena
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 21
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Following this thread because I've been interesting in finding or designing a stand. This became a "thing" over the last year as I helped a friend tear down 3 D675 motors. :) I generally like the idea of something that is adjustable so it can be used on multiple motors.

I've seen that rotisserie-style before but it looks a bit too hokey to me.

My friend and I were thinking about designs which would bolt up to an automotive engine stands to leverage the rotating function. I was also thinking of designing it in a way that it could still function as a regular bench stand..it would just have the provision of bolting to the standard engine mount plate.

The one MGFChapin posted is in the direction I was thinking; I like the fact that the design could accommodate rear mounts with different fore/aft locations. But height and width are also something I'd want to address. For the first: I think using a joint on the frame-side attachment (instead of the threaded rod straight thru the box tube) would allow for a range of rear engine mount heights. Similarly, a heim joint on both ends would give a bit of width adjustment. I feel the adjustable support arms width is important because they should attach as close to the motor as possible.
keeena is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 11-21-19, 10:15 Thread Starter
GMike278
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
GMike278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 67
Thanks: 11
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Came across this homemade one on Facebook. The guy is in the UK, but I asked if we can get specs. I'm also working with a domestic welder to see if we can make a batch of reasonably-priced stands. We'll see.


EXACTLY what I'm looking for!
GMike278 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 12-03-19, 13:11 Thread Starter
GMike278
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
GMike278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 67
Thanks: 11
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Ended up breaking down and ordering this one from K&L Supply. Amazon had it for 200 bucks (which yeah, is pricey but better than having a spare factory race engine laying around on the floor)



Pros: Well made and I like that you can rotate the motor to work on it. Can be used for multiple engine designs.
Cons: It was a royal pain in the a** to get up on the stand. I set the motor on some blocks of wood and leveraged it up. Sure would have been nice to have an extra set of hands. Secondly, not sure how much I trust the motor being supported from only the bottom. (Lets see how much weight that long rear stock bolt can handle before it snaps. \_(ツ)_/ )


(photo for demonstration - I'm NOT leaving it like this)

I would STILL love a stand like the one MGFCHAPIN posted (and continue to use this one for engine servicing) -wink wink- c'mon Paul, hook a brother up! :P

Last edited by GMike278; 12-03-19 at 13:17.
GMike278 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 12-03-19, 17:04
TheBeerHunter
Junior Member
 
TheBeerHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike278 View Post
Ended up breaking down and ordering this one from K&L Supply. Amazon had it for 200 bucks (which yeah, is pricey but better than having a spare factory race engine laying around on the floor)



Pros: Well made and I like that you can rotate the motor to work on it. Can be used for multiple engine designs.
Cons: It was a royal pain in the a** to get up on the stand. I set the motor on some blocks of wood and leveraged it up. Sure would have been nice to have an extra set of hands. Secondly, not sure how much I trust the motor being supported from only the bottom. (Lets see how much weight that long rear stock bolt can handle before it snaps. \_(ツ)_/ )


(photo for demonstration - I'm NOT leaving it like this)

I would STILL love a stand like the one MGFCHAPIN posted (and continue to use this one for engine servicing) -wink wink- c'mon Paul, hook a brother up! :P
What exactly does that stand mount to on the motor? Im thoroughly confused.
TheBeerHunter is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 12-03-19, 21:28 Thread Starter
GMike278
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
GMike278's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 67
Thanks: 11
Thanked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter View Post
What exactly does that stand mount to on the motor? Im thoroughly confused.
The stand has those adjustable arms with a hole in the end - you line them up with the mounting points on the engine and bolt it up. Pretty straightforward. (I'm using a spacer with the stock rear mounting bolt, which might be what is throwing you off) ;)
GMike278 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome