Engine stands? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 20 Old 11-11-19, 16:54 Thread Starter
GMike278

Engine stands?

Reroll's teardown thread and MGFChapin's awesome response got me thinking about engine stands. I've seen some universal stands for sale online and was wondering if anyone had one that worked for the 675 / 765 motors. (verses getting creative welding up some tubing / wood etc).

Cheers,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-11-19, 17:54
MGFChapin

Garage
I've been barking up that tree for years. If we don't get an answer, we need to find someone with a loose spare motor and get a few stands welded up.

I have a stand from Tyga that I absolutely love, for my NSR250. Something similar for the 675 would be so much better in the shop than wood blocks. We just need dimensions for the engine mounts and I can ask a few different local welders for quotes.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	enginestand2-ba539d63.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	251213  

Last edited by MGFChapin; 11-11-19 at 17:59.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-11-19, 18:08 Thread Starter
GMike278
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
I've been barking up that tree for years. If we don't get an answer, we need to find someone with a loose spare motor and get a few stands welded up.

I have a stand from Tyga that I absolutely love, for my NSR250. Something similar for the 675 would be so much better in the shop than wood blocks. We just need dimensions for the engine mounts and I can ask a few different local welders for quotes.

I'd get in on that for sure! (c'mon welders on the forum)

I was looking at this one:

I like that it allows you to rotate the motor around but really I just want something like the Tyga. (also not sure if the one above would mount up to a 675.)

post #4 of 20 Old 11-11-19, 18:13
MGFChapin

Garage
That's pretty trick, but it'd be more expensive to build and to ship. The Tyga stand allows you to stably tilt the engine onto either pair of legs, so you could do essentially the same jobs as the fancy rotating stand.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-20-19, 17:57
MGFChapin

Garage
Came across this homemade one on Facebook. The guy is in the UK, but I asked if we can get specs. I'm also working with a domestic welder to see if we can make a batch of reasonably-priced stands. We'll see.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	76182207_10221693985804875_217354649739460608_n.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	251307  
post #6 of 20 Old 11-21-19, 00:27
keeena

Following this thread because I've been interesting in finding or designing a stand. This became a "thing" over the last year as I helped a friend tear down 3 D675 motors. :) I generally like the idea of something that is adjustable so it can be used on multiple motors.

I've seen that rotisserie-style before but it looks a bit too hokey to me.

My friend and I were thinking about designs which would bolt up to an automotive engine stands to leverage the rotating function. I was also thinking of designing it in a way that it could still function as a regular bench stand..it would just have the provision of bolting to the standard engine mount plate.

The one MGFChapin posted is in the direction I was thinking; I like the fact that the design could accommodate rear mounts with different fore/aft locations. But height and width are also something I'd want to address. For the first: I think using a joint on the frame-side attachment (instead of the threaded rod straight thru the box tube) would allow for a range of rear engine mount heights. Similarly, a heim joint on both ends would give a bit of width adjustment. I feel the adjustable support arms width is important because they should attach as close to the motor as possible.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-21-19, 10:15 Thread Starter
GMike278

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Came across this homemade one on Facebook. The guy is in the UK, but I asked if we can get specs. I'm also working with a domestic welder to see if we can make a batch of reasonably-priced stands. We'll see.

EXACTLY what I'm looking for!
post #8 of 20 Old 12-03-19, 13:11 Thread Starter
GMike278

Ended up breaking down and ordering this one from K&L Supply. Amazon had it for 200 bucks (which yeah, is pricey but better than having a spare factory race engine laying around on the floor)

Pros: Well made and I like that you can rotate the motor to work on it. Can be used for multiple engine designs.
Cons: It was a royal pain in the a** to get up on the stand. I set the motor on some blocks of wood and leveraged it up. Sure would have been nice to have an extra set of hands. Secondly, not sure how much I trust the motor being supported from only the bottom. (Lets see how much weight that long rear stock bolt can handle before it snaps. \_(ツ)_/ )

(photo for demonstration - I'm NOT leaving it like this)

I would STILL love a stand like the one MGFCHAPIN posted (and continue to use this one for engine servicing) -wink wink- c'mon Paul, hook a brother up! :P

Last edited by GMike278; 12-03-19 at 13:17.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-03-19, 17:04
TheBeerHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike278 View Post
Ended up breaking down and ordering this one from K&L Supply. Amazon had it for 200 bucks (which yeah, is pricey but better than having a spare factory race engine laying around on the floor)

Pros: Well made and I like that you can rotate the motor to work on it. Can be used for multiple engine designs.
Cons: It was a royal pain in the a** to get up on the stand. I set the motor on some blocks of wood and leveraged it up. Sure would have been nice to have an extra set of hands. Secondly, not sure how much I trust the motor being supported from only the bottom. (Lets see how much weight that long rear stock bolt can handle before it snaps. \_(ツ)_/ )

(photo for demonstration - I'm NOT leaving it like this)

I would STILL love a stand like the one MGFCHAPIN posted (and continue to use this one for engine servicing) -wink wink- c'mon Paul, hook a brother up! :P
What exactly does that stand mount to on the motor? Im thoroughly confused.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-03-19, 21:28 Thread Starter
GMike278

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter View Post
What exactly does that stand mount to on the motor? Im thoroughly confused.
The stand has those adjustable arms with a hole in the end - you line them up with the mounting points on the engine and bolt it up. Pretty straightforward. (I'm using a spacer with the stock rear mounting bolt, which might be what is throwing you off) ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement