Chain links - Triumph675.Net Forums
Australia and Asia-Pacific AAP Regional forum; rides, get togethers, events

post #1 of 9 Old 02-15-16, 21:17 Thread Starter
bluedaytona02

Chain links

I know this is a long shot.... but...
Does anyone have any spare links for an RK 520 GXW gold chain?

I've changed from 180/55 to 180/60 rear tyre after getting some cheap supersport race take offs, but I now need to move the axle back to accommodate the higher tyre profile.
All i need is the short section most people cut off and discard, then I'll get 2 rivet links, thus allowing me to add an extra few links to the chain and moving the axle far enough.

I've bought a cheap DID VX2 chain as I want to do a couple of track days this weekend. I just wanted to keep the other chain as it's not that old...

Current: '06 Daytona 675 ('08 BEARS winning bike - Chris Panayi) White with Pitty's Custom Vinyls TTC decals STM Slipper Clutch Braking wave rotors with folding/adjustable levers GB engine covers Valter Moto Rearsets Race kit detent wheel & idle adjuster 1050 throttle tube Captive Wheel Spacers MotoGems bling Vortex clip-ons, Stomp grip 520 conversion Puig screen Madaz slip-on Intake flapper & Ex-up removed Swing-arm pivot mod. Thinner head gasket Custom tune
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-19-16, 02:29
AussieAdam

Chain Links

Moving your axle back will move more weight to the front.
The higher profile 180 will tip it more on the front as well.
If you can try raising the front by pushing your forks down further in the triple clamps.
If you rear shock is adjustable for length you could take about of height out of the rear by shortening the shock.
I have tried both and prefer the 180/55 for most tracks but, I will use the 180/60 when I race at PI in June.

2006 Race/Track Bike: Nitron Race Pro Shock and Nitron Fork Valves, Race Tech Fork Springs, Flux Mk2 Linkage plates, GPR V4 Steering Damper, Attack Performance Triple Clamps & Rear Sets, R6 Mono Block Calipers, Brembo RCS19 Master Cylinder, Annitori QS Pro Quick Shifter, No Cat, No Exup Valve, Leo Vince Slip On, No Intake Flapper, SF Filter, Complete GB Crash Protection kit, all unnecessary crap removed.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-19-16, 04:46 Thread Starter
bluedaytona02
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I like it tipping in quick but am aware the 180/60 will increase this. I have my forks through about 6mm from memory, so there is room to slide them through if it's too much of a change.

I got the 180/60 cheap off Kane Burns... I bought 4 rears and 2 fronts that were race take-offs and far cheaper than a new set.

I had no choice in lengthening the chain as the tyre was against the swing arm. I think the chain only had 114 links as the new one now has 116. Again, being the tight arse that I am, I bought the chain with 15/16/47/48 Renthal sprockets, all of which had only done once meet and still looked new.

Current: '06 Daytona 675 ('08 BEARS winning bike - Chris Panayi) White with Pitty's Custom Vinyls TTC decals STM Slipper Clutch Braking wave rotors with folding/adjustable levers GB engine covers Valter Moto Rearsets Race kit detent wheel & idle adjuster 1050 throttle tube Captive Wheel Spacers MotoGems bling Vortex clip-ons, Stomp grip 520 conversion Puig screen Madaz slip-on Intake flapper & Ex-up removed Swing-arm pivot mod. Thinner head gasket Custom tune

post #4 of 9 Old 02-23-16, 22:19
Far Canal

I run 14/44 with a 180/60 and 114 links no problem. Didin't even know they still made 180/55 anymore or are they street tyres?
post #5 of 9 Old 02-24-16, 00:24 Thread Starter
bluedaytona02

5 year old slicks i got from forum member bg851 in Sydney. Finally used up my supply, which is why i went to the 180 / 60.
Wanting to run close to stock gearing - maybe 1 or 2 up on rear. 14 front is way too aggressive...

post #6 of 9 Old 02-24-16, 03:58
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

DUDE if I would have seen this sooner. I ordered this link for my bike not realizing Im an idiot and it was the wrong link.

I am pretty sure I threw it away, but I will look in my garage tomorrow morning and let you know.

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
post #7 of 9 Old 02-28-16, 00:32
AussieAdam

180/55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Far Canal View Post
I run 14/44 with a 180/60 and 114 links no problem. Didin't even know they still made 180/55 anymore or are they street tyres?
Pirelli and Metzler still make them in the #2 compound but not in the #1. The #1 has a short life on the track and needs to be run in quite hot conditions. I prefer the #2 in the Metzler Ractech RR, it works very well over a wide range of temperatures and track textures.

2006 Race/Track Bike: Nitron Race Pro Shock and Nitron Fork Valves, Race Tech Fork Springs, Flux Mk2 Linkage plates, GPR V4 Steering Damper, Attack Performance Triple Clamps & Rear Sets, R6 Mono Block Calipers, Brembo RCS19 Master Cylinder, Annitori QS Pro Quick Shifter, No Cat, No Exup Valve, Leo Vince Slip On, No Intake Flapper, SF Filter, Complete GB Crash Protection kit, all unnecessary crap removed.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-28-16, 03:24 Thread Starter
bluedaytona02

I only have the SC1s. Had the option of SC0s but figured they were far too soft for me.
Asked about the SC2 front but Kane reckoned he used the 1s everywhere and had no problems.

post #9 of 9 Old 02-28-16, 03:36
AussieAdam

SC1

I had been using the K1 compound on the front but, changed to the K2 for the warmer weather on Glen Allerton's advice and have found it to work very well, and of course last a bit longer.
I raced a few weeks back at Eastern Creek on a 2 track day old front and it worked well up to the last race on the second day in the afternoon when the tyre was getting a bit tired and the temperature had dropped off a bit, it then started to slide bit more than usual.
I will use a K1 front and a K2 180/60 rear when I race at PI on the June long weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement