Brake pads removal How To? - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 10 Old 12-25-15, 01:01 Thread Starter
Itskohler

Garage
Brake pads removal How To?

I went through all 9 pages in the Maintenance section of the forums, but only found one How To. It said to take off the caliper? I could've sworn I read somewhere else that you don't need to but now I can't find it. Anyone have a how to bookmarked on changing the pads of the Nissn front and rear pads? Thanks in advance for any insight, brakes are kinda important and don't want to mess this up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-25-15, 02:35
Ditch Doctor

Garage
In my experience ( i am sure there are others with more knowledge and more experience than I) but i remove the caliper and then slide the pads out. Nissin and Brembo have different retaining clips, and are a little different in the assembly, but it will make the job a lot easier, and only takes a few more seconds to undo the caliper..

(i did this often, every few weeks with my 08 D675... and still do it frequently with my 13 D675R)
The reason... I like to inspect the function of the caliper. Visually inspect each piston as i clean, and check the pads.

If you are wanting to get the pads out to replace, or just check, why not give the caliper a good clean. Brake cleaner or some good ole soap and water. even flushing the brake fluid, at some point i will remove the caliper before/ after to clean/ assess.

I looked back through and couldnt find the HOW To either... i know i saw one last year.
If you are still having trouble, i will post one up tomorrow... given... it will be on the R model with brembo, but follows the same principals.

Let me know if you need more help

( this is a good video to follow to make sure you have the right tools/ equipment/ knowledge. it is another bike... but the rules stay the same)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rlmdCkokbE

good luck
post #3 of 10 Old 12-25-15, 09:26 Thread Starter
Itskohler
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Very valid points about taking it off, I never thought of that. Bleeding brakes worries me, I screwed it up on my ultra expensive mountain bike so I'm weary.

post #4 of 10 Old 12-25-15, 09:31
Glocken

bleeding brakes on a motorcycle is the easiest thing to do. you can do it yourself unlike a car; you can but would take forever.

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
post #5 of 10 Old 12-25-15, 10:01 Thread Starter
Itskohler

Garage
I watched the video that ditch doctor linked and it seems super simple. When I get my parts in I will make a how to for other noobs like myself.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-27-15, 12:02
Ruby Racing
BOTM Winner

If you are fitting new pads then you need to remove the calipers as you will need to push the pistons back into the calipers and ideally give them a good clean.

Before doing that it's easier to loosen off the pad retaining pins first, after first removing the split pins.

Once the calipers are off give them a thorough clean with soap and water or brake cleaner. After that push the pistons back into the calipers. I refit the old pads and use a screwdriver between the pads for that. Make sure you take off the cover on the master cylinder reservoir first and keep an eye on the fluid level. You don't want to overflow the reservoir and get fluid over your paint work, or let the level drop too low and allow in air.

Start with the left (when sitting on bike) caliper, after cleaning fit the new pads and refit caliper to forks. Then pump the lever gently to get them back in contact with the disc. Pull lever slowly to avoid fluid flying out the reservoir.

Then do the right side.

As by your own admission you screwed up the same job on your MTB I would, with the greatest respect, suggest that you get someone who knows what they are doing to walk you through this the first time. The consequences of ballsing up the job on a push bike pale into insignificance if you balls up the same job on a 150mph projectile.

To read about the transformation click > Project Trixie Transformation

For comparison photo of old R/R with new improved R/R under recall of 2012 click > R/R Comparison Photos
post #7 of 10 Old 12-27-15, 12:33 Thread Starter
Itskohler

Garage
When I messed up on my mountain bike I was pretty concerned, it cost 5 grand. But I fixed it on the stand before riding it. It didn't feel right and I know just about enough to know when something is wrong. I've watched countless tutorials on YouTube, read other bikes How Tos, so I think I'll be ok. The big thing, like you said, is making sure no air is introduced into the system.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-27-15, 13:19
RealRecognizeReal

you will have to remove the brake fluid reservoir cap before you push back the pistons in your caliper to change your brake pads.

Not a bad idea to have someone knowledgeable show you how to do this first so you can do it yourself in the future.

Also +1 to taking it in to a shop to have them service your brakes for you if you have the $ to spare.

<===Click here to Like and Follow our Facebook Page

"It's more than a Passion, it's an Obsession"
Professional Motorcycle Road Race Team & Quality Performance Parts Sales

https://hustlehardracing.com/
post #9 of 10 Old 12-27-15, 14:39
Glocken

I'm curious how it cost you 5k for your bicycle? did it cause brake failure and crashing the thing into pieces?

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
post #10 of 10 Old 12-27-15, 14:45
trumppking

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocken View Post
I'm curious how it cost you 5k for your bicycle? did it cause brake failure and crashing the thing into pieces?
I think he meant to say his bike cost 5k, not his mistake.

KEEP CALM and RIDE ON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement