.1qts every 100 miles - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 11 Old 10-21-19, 20:11 Thread Starter
Ken

.1qts every 100 miles

So I have to add about .1qts of oil every 100 miles or so. Anyone else having a similar fault. Any resolution or is this a standard triumph design?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-22-19, 04:49
Plasmablaster

Garage
Definitely not normal. I hardly add any oil between service intervals and the bike has about 40K miles on the clock.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-22-19, 09:05
Razgreeze

Two track days on my bike will take it from the full line to the low line. It doesn't smoke. Some engines use more oil than others. I think the original owner didn't break it in right and the piston rings didn't seat right. Modern internal combustion engines are really robust. Keep checking it and don't let it drop too low. If it gets hard to start your intervention is the same (rebuild). You can also send an oil sample for analysis to see if anything is breaking down. If this is something that you perseverate on (which I did and it took all the joy out of riding Because I was worried about malfunction) you might want a Japanese bike. I stopped caring and the bike has been fine mechanically. Electronics are a totally different story. It might be placebo but I found that motul and amsoil showed less consumption than rotella t6.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 Old 10-22-19, 09:26 Thread Starter
Ken
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgreeze View Post
Two track days on my bike will take it from the full line to the low line. It doesn't smoke. Some engines use more oil than others. I think the original owner didn't break it in right and the piston rings didn't seat right. Modern internal combustion engines are really robust. Keep checking it and don't let it drop too low. If it gets hard to start your intervention is the same (rebuild). You can also send an oil sample for analysis to see if anything is breaking down. If this is something that you perseverate on (which I did and it took all the joy out of riding Because I was worried about malfunction) you might want a Japanese bike. I stopped caring and the bike has been fine mechanically. Electronics are a totally different story. It might be placebo but I found that motul and amsoil showed less consumption than rotella t6.

On another note, I was pumping gas yesterday at a wawa on Hamilton st, and a red Daytona drove by me headed towards rt 222. Was that you because gilbersville is in PA as well.

post #5 of 11 Old 10-22-19, 09:28
Razgreeze

Nah my bike is tracked out with fiberglass and grey now. I ride an fz6 on the street like an old man so I don't get pulled over haha.

post #6 of 11 Old 10-22-19, 09:30 Thread Starter
Ken

I'm a new owner coming to about a month now. I did notice some moist spots near engine cover close to oil filter, which has been tightened ever since. I know PO dropped it a few time, the left side getting the most damage and that's where the moist are is. I'm guessing the cover is leaking and that should be an easy fix this winter along with many other projects for this bike.

post #7 of 11 Old 10-22-19, 09:33 Thread Starter
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgreeze View Post
Nah my bike is tracked out with fiberglass and grey now. I ride an fz6 on the street like an old man so I don't get pulled over haha.

Any tracks close by other than Poconos that I'm not aware of. I'm planning for next year

post #8 of 11 Old 10-22-19, 09:41
Razgreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Any tracks close by other than Poconos that I'm not aware of. I'm planning for next year

Pocono raceway is definitely the closest one, however I tend to avoid it because the transition from the infield to the outer Bank can be sketchy and if you lose traction you're going to hit the wall. New Jersey Motorsports Park is like 90 minutes away if you go at non traffic times and you are going 80mph. Pitt race is one of the best race tracks on the east coast. Grip levels are crazy and it is smooth as glass. Down side is that it is like 5 hours away. Summit point Motorsports Park is like 3.5 hours in West Virginia. The drive down is really nice. They have two tracks there, summit main which is really nice and shennendoah which is a little too technical for my liking but when I leave I always want to go back. It's best treated like a favorite back road cause if you go too fast it gets sketchy due to the surface quality and there is very little run off, you'll hit a wall.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-22-19, 09:46 Thread Starter
Ken

Good to know. Thanks alot.

post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-19, 09:55
beau

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
I'm a new owner coming to about a month now. I did notice some moist spots near engine cover close to oil filter, which has been tightened ever since. I know PO dropped it a few time, the left side getting the most damage and that's where the moist are is. I'm guessing the cover is leaking and that should be an easy fix this winter along with many other projects for this bike.

This might seem obvious, but if you recently lubed your chain you may have some lube leaking from the front sprocket area and down the engine/sump. Of course this wouldn't explain the missing oil...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement