Triumph 675 Forums banner

Considering switching to a 765RS

7K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  Bmore 
#1 ·
Hi!

I JUST got my Daytona 675R this summer and absolutely love it for the track so much that I'm planning on putting my S1000RR up for sale, which I also love but is a serious brute and very heavy in the corners compared to the flyweight Daytona.

However, I have a road bike as well, my Honda 2014 VFR800, on which I commute and occasionally take some short road trips. It has Givi hard bags and is generally very nice on the road. It does lack a little zing though and now that I've fallen in love with the 675 I've been toying, again, with the idea of switching to a new 765RS Street Triple and selling the VFR. Does anybody else here have experience using the Street Triple, of any type, as a daily rider and light tourer? I've ridden the Street Triple and absolutely had a blast, but I know little of owning a naked bike and its utility as all my prior street bikes have had fairings on them.

Thanks!

PS The picture is just for attention. :p I took the VFR on the track for a couple of sessions just for a lark. It acquitted itself rather well!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a 2009 Street Triple R that I toured on and used as a daily commuter. It was totaled and so I bought a Brutale RR as a replacement, which I toured on and used as a daily commuter. The problem with the Brutale is parts, so while waiting for parts I bought a used Street Triple R (675) which I am using to ride down to the tail of the dragon, next weekend and have been using as a daily commuter.
I now have the Brutale back so now I use both.....

If it was my choice I would get the R version not the RS, The R is tuned for the street and the RS is tuned more for the track, although it would be fine for street use.

#3 ·
I had a 2009 Street Triple R that I toured on and used as a daily commuter. It was totaled and so I bought a Brutale RR as a replacement, which I toured on and used as a daily commuter. The problem with the Brutale is parts, so while waiting for parts I bought a used Street Triple R (675) which I am using to ride down to the tail of the dragon, next weekend and have been using as a daily commuter.
I now have the Brutale back so now I use both.....

If it was my choice I would get the R version not the RS, The R is tuned for the street and the RS is tuned more for the track, although it would be fine for street use.
Thanks for your advice!

I ride track a lot, but that's what my Daytona is for. I was thinking of the RS because if something were to happen to my Daytona I could always use my Street Triple as a backup. At least that was my thought process LOL. I also have fallen in love with having Ohlins suspension. Maybe I'm just spoiled. hehe

#6 ·
You're spoiled, get the RS. ;)

The R has 5 less HP, the same torque, but the RS has Ohlins, and Brembos (R has Brembos).

IMO, the RS would be closer to what you are use to riding with the Daytona R
I suspect that is what it is. I get back on my VFR and it just feels like such a pig LOL. But then again it's a big comfy bike but feels like it should be sportier. Sigh...so many choices lol

#7 ·
Great idea but I think you're right. I'm looking for a "tame sport bike" and while the VFR does foot that bill, it is also a bit piggy and needs better components to go with its wonderful engine. Loosing 30-50 lbs would be great also but that's not possible with this version of the VFR.

I'm just trying to figure out how livable the Triumph Street Triple is on the day to day ride.

#39 ·
Another option if you want something more comfortable but still have that familiar triple power delivery would be a Tiger. Far more comfortable and would be more like the VFR.
I personally like the idea of a Tiger to go with a Daytona...Tiger is spec'd about 35-45lbs heavier than a Daytona, probably about 60lbs heavier than the Striple- and with a taller seat height. I think the Tiger is the ultimate American commuter/tourer bike, with the Striple having that "sweet spot" blend of practicality and sport.
Which Tiger are you referring to? Aren't there two different tiers of Tigers. I presume you're talking about the 800? I'm not a big fan of Adv bikes as they're all kinda tall for me and I'm 5'7" lol.

Great idea though and I'll seriously consider it.
this is my set up right now. '07 daytona and a '11 tiger 800. sure the tiger is heavier but you won't notice. it's taller too yes, but i'm 5'5" and i got used to it. it has great grunt up to 100mph, it's so well balanced for street commutes, though it doesn't steer as quick with a 19" front wheel. mine is really just a do-it-all bike, and it's one of the best buys i ever made.

#8 ·
The RS vs R; the power band is set differently on both bikes, the RS is up higher and better for track, while the R is more in the middle and better for street use.
In Boston quick will save your bacon, top speed is never going to happen. :wink3:

#9 ·
I personally like the idea of a Tiger to go with a Daytona, though there are probably fewer skills and parts that would translate between them compared to a Striple. Tiger is spec'd about 35-45lbs heavier than a Daytona, probably about 60lbs heavier than the Striple— and with a taller seat height. I think the Tiger is the ultimate American commuter/tourer bike, with the Striple having that "sweet spot" blend of practicality and sport.

#11 ·
I personally like the idea of a Tiger to go with a Daytona, though there are probably fewer skills and parts that would translate between them compared to a Striple. Tiger is spec'd about 35-45lbs heavier than a Daytona, probably about 60lbs heavier than the Striple- and with a taller seat height. I think the Tiger is the ultimate American commuter/tourer bike, with the Striple having that "sweet spot" blend of practicality and sport.
Which Tiger are you referring to? Aren't there two different tiers of Tigers. I presume you're talking about the 800? I'm not a big fan of Adv bikes as they're all kinda tall for me and I'm 5'7" lol.

Great idea though and I'll seriously consider it.

#16 · (Edited)
I picked up a 765 RS a month or so ago. Absolutely the most fun on a bike I’ve owned. Previous bikes were a ninja 650, Daytona 675R, aprilia RSV4 RR and my current track only CBR600RR.

The 765s are now finally starting to get some good aftermarket. Rearsets wise, Sato have the best on the market right now. No figment issues like all the other brands (usually with the brake line being too short). Tons of adjustment and keeps the stock rear brake switch.

For my 520 conversion i think superlite sprockets are the only option right now. Chain wise I used EK 3D 520GP @118 links. Total weight saved was around 2 pounds.

#23 ·
All of your current bikes have a more or less crouched riding position with clip-ons (OK maybe the VFR less so but still has clip-ons). The naked bike has significantly more upright position and may be a bit strange to you once you start chasing yourself in the twisties. Personally I couldn't get used to it (I've got a '10 ST-R for 3 years now) and dished out 350$ for Apex fully-adjustable clip-ons, and some cheap chinese footpegs adjusters. After these changes, the bike became an extension of myself, enjoyable in all conditions and circumstances.

Being a naked, of course, it won't be very enjoyable if you want prolonged dashes of speed - anything above 95-100mph is going to get you tired pretty fast.

#24 ·
Thanks for the advice!

Fortunately I'm not above 95-100mph too often. Chicago area traffic really sucks. lol

My first bike was a F800GT, which had handlbars and not clip ons. It was still billed as a "sport tourer" but the sitting position was like the R1200RT, much more upright than my VFR. Maybe I'll go ride the RS again and see what I think.

#28 ·
I used to have a CBR600RR as my daily (sold my cars a few years back), the RR was written off in an accident (RIP), and have a 2012 S3R I've been riding for the past 18 months. It's my daily commute, I ride highway/city for my commute and love it.

Added some PVC for 1/4 turn throttle like I did on the RR to give it less throw for WOT. It has the little windscreen, quickshifter, rad guard, tail tidy and sc-project oval cans. Running on conti's and absolutely love it.

Reactions: Rebecca Kuo-Ryan
#30 ·
I have a couple of Street Triples, one for track and one for street. I commute on them (mostly highway) but did a long commute of about 90 miles today with a mix of highway and rural country roads. No problem. My street bike has no windscreen. The RS with its built-in baby flyscreen is probably more comfortable. It's probably also good enough for most tracks as it looks to be about the same size as the OEM flyscreen on my 2008 track bike.

#31 ·
Thanks!

The deed is done. I have sold my VFR and am receiving my 2018 Street Triple RS later today. It's the demo model at a well respected local shop, in matte grey. It's so sexy looking and I LOVE the way it rides. Honestly, I don't care about the color so much as the bike itself.

I've found some SW Moto soft bags to help with my commute and I think my sport bike tail bag should fit on it also. I'm really excited!

I'll make a decision on whether I need to find a windshield and/or bark busters as it gets colder

#38 ·
I've been contemplating the switch to a street for a while; Rode about 50 miles in heavy highway traffic and splitting lanes required so much focus while being in such an aggressive position that it is fatiguing on the mind and body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.