Expensive Gore Tex jackets - worth it? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

post #1 of 12 Old 01-21-17, 23:39 Thread Starter
gskidmor

Expensive Gore Tex jackets - worth it?

I've been having to ride a bit in the rain here on SoCal the past couple of weeks and it looks like the rain will continue for the next few weeks. My leather jacket takes 3 days to dry out and weighs an additional 10+ pounds, not to mention it's uncomfortable as hell.

Anyways, I'm looking at buying something like this:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...adlands-jacket

Problem is, it costs close to $950. If this jacket will keep me warm and dry, I'd likely go for it, assuming there's no decent, cheaper alternative.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-22-17, 06:11
beatle

There are other Gore-Tex jackets much closer to the $500 range. If you go to a non-Gore-Tex membrane, the price comes down much further. I hear that the real deal Gore-Tex is the best, but I've not had any experience with it myself.

You'll probably want the rest of your gear to be waterproof as well (boots, gloves, pants).
post #3 of 12 Old 01-22-17, 06:46
Gzblack2

"You get what you pay for" usually is true,and I'm sure that's is some awesome gear. My only issue is textile doesn't hold up well in a crash,so it's kinda a one and done deal. I'm more a fair weather guy myself,but when the need arises I wear my snowboarding shell over my summer leather. Great protection from the weather plus leather and armor in case I need it.
Its also much cheaper to replace the snowboarding shell if I was to fall/crash.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 Old 01-22-17, 08:06
Plasmablaster

Garage
I had a pair of boots lined with Gore-Tex - they were really and truly waterproof, for indefinite amounts of time, the only really waterproof piece of equipment I've ever used, truth be told. That said I I'd never dish out $900+ for a textile jacket, gore-tex or not. I'd certainly go for leather, both for protection -nothing beats leather for abrasion protection- but also for looks. It's totally subjective of course but as far as I'm concerned I've yet to see a textile jacket that beats the nicest leather ones in the visual department.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-22-17, 12:28
beatle

I think the OP is more concerned with rain. He already has a leather jacket.

Textile can be pretty tough actually. Look for a high denier ballistic nylon with well-stitched and well-placed seams.

Here's another Klim with Gore-Tex for $300: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-blade-jacket
post #6 of 12 Old 01-22-17, 13:47 Thread Starter
gskidmor
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I do have a very nice leather jacket - thick, warm, looks good, and loaded with crash protection armor. That I got at my local Triump dealer - it was originally $399.99 and I got it on closeout for $99!

Now, I don't like to wear the leather jacket in the rain as it takes forever to dry out and my bike is my daily commuter - I drive from Irvine, CA to LA every day (mon - fri)! I can get away with working from home every now and then, but I can't continue to do that often. I bought gore-tex gloves and while they don't feel as safe as the leather gloves, I believe they would work well in one crash and need replacement; I'm OK with that.

If there are decent alternatives, I'm OK with that! It only rains a couple of months a year max in SoCal, but traffic for my commute is 1.5 hours min on most typical days but add rain and it's closer to 2 or 3 hours.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-22-17, 14:08
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
I think the OP is more concerned with rain. He already has a leather jacket.
Well if that's the case then OK but still this amount of money seems too much. I'd consider it only if I were a dispatch rider or otherwise needed to ride in the rain as part of my working routine.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-19-19, 03:51
Mariemark78

If you are willing to buy a quality jacket at less price, the look at the ski bum Coupons.
I also bought from there because they are less expensive compared to others.
They have many amazing discount coupons, I am sure you will easily get a really cool and nice jacket there.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-19-19, 12:33
Glocken

why cant you just keep an over raincoat for when it rains. I prefer leather for its fitment and protective qualities.

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-19, 15:25
Arawn

I've never had any waterproof gear, gore tex or not, remain waterproof for a long time; eventually they all leak. Also, the fact that the jacket has a gore tex membrane in it doesn't mean the outer shell, pockets and what not, will remain dry. Nothing like walking indoors and drip water all over the place. Also, there is not enough overlap between the jacket and pants, unlike real rain pants that go way up your belly, and wind can easily blow water into the non-waterproof parts between the pants and jacket.

For several years now I only get waterproof boots and rain suits to go over regular gear, get them new right before the rain season starts and they will start leaking by the end of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement