Tire Options - Triumph675.Net Forums
Tire Tech For all discussions related to your Tires and what you are running.

post #1 of 4 Old 11-10-20, 19:02 Thread Starter
Jordan Zohr

Tire Options

Hi,

I currently have a set of Pirelli SuperCorsa SP tires on my Daytona. The Rear tire has a Flat spot and I only have 8,300km on the bike.

I've read in the service manual that Triumph only recommends four options;
1. Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa SP
2. Metzeler Racetec
3. Pirelli Diablo Rossa Corsa
4. Bridgestone BT016

On my previous bike (ninja 300) I had a set of Michelin Pilot tires and they were great and I had no issues with them. I put about 12,000km on the Michelin Pilots and they still looked new with no flat spot on the rear tire. I would like to get a set of tires that give good grip in the corners and are meant for long distance (at least lasting 10,000km or more without a flat spot on the rear).

So I have two questions;

1. Is there any reason I can't go to another set of tires that the Manual doesn't specify? (Sounds like a dumb question to ask since since there are other good brands to use)
2. Is it normal for a set of Pirelli SuperCorsa SP tires to have a flat spot on the rear tire after 8,300km? (I'm assuming the tire compound is just softer than a normal tire for track days)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-10-20, 21:12
Studio X

Garage
SPs are designed for high grip on corners. They are NOT designed for long life on relatively straight roads.

The Michelin Road 5 series are an excellent choice for all round riding - rain, dry, curves & straights with good tire wear. The Power RS work a bit better if you want to run track days as well.

There are DOZENS of threads on this forum about tires. If you want to have bedtime reading material for a few weeks, do a search and knock yourself out.

Cheers,

x

When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can turn into deadly projectiles.

2012 675R / 2018 Tiger 800 XCa
post #3 of 4 Old 11-13-20, 03:54
proteus

You can use any tyre that has the correct profile - so Dunlop Q3s/Q4s are an example of solid tyres that aren't on Triumph's list - and even tyres that don't have the correct profile. I'm running a 190/55 on the rear instead of a 180/55, because that's all that was available at the track the last time that I was there. I had to remove the rear guard, and the tip in isn't quite as fast, but, apart from that, it's fine.

Even tyres with the same rated profile can and do differ enough in their actual profile to vary significantly and overlap with other [i]rated[i/] profiles.

A flat spot on a Supercorsa after 8,300 km is normal. On a litre-bike, a Supercorsa rear can be chewed up in a single day at the track, and I wouldn't expect much more than 3-4,000 km out of them on the road - by which point running only on the centre of the tyre will have changed the profile of the tyre enough that its geometry is quite different to as it was from the factory.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-17-20, 18:45
nancy675

I run Michelin Road 5s and love them! Much better feeling than the Pirelli Diablo Rossa Corsa I had on previously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement