Lextek Exhaust - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 1 Old 09-11-19, 06:32 Thread Starter
BenFou86

Lextek Exhaust

Hi Guys,

Just treated myself to a new Lextek XP8C slip on exhaust for my newly purchased Street Triple R to replace the stock pipe.

Did a search around and didn't find much information on the Lextek stuff here so thought i would write my thoughts.

Firstly, opened the box and everything was very well packaged, you even got a drawstring sleeve/bag for the new muffler. Once i pulled the new muffler out the bag, i was extremely impressed with the build quality! Considering this exhaust is a third of the cost of major brands, it definitely is NOT a third of the quality. In fact, i would say there is very little in it, if anything at all.

First things first, i removed the stock muffler and as soon as i pulled it off i instantly noticed how much heavier it is than the Lextek - the difference is night and day and the new can felt like a feather compared!

The next step is where Lextek falls down... there are no instructions in the box and there are numerous parts to pick from, some of which are not suitable for your bike and some that are... The link pipe is designed for the Striple but the rest it appears is a universal kit. They supply lots of different attachments which means something will fit your bike, but you have got to play around with all the parts until you figure out what combo best suits and works for your model. Not rocket science, but a 20/25 minute job soon turned into a 40/45 minute job and you always have a sense of, have i missed something when there are lots of parts still left in the box... All this aside, the brackets, clamps, nuts and bolts were all of great quality. If you get one of these kits, the one thing i can say that will save you time is, the two 45 degree angled bolts are for the rear hanging exhaust clamp... this will save you 5 minutes of frustration!

Apart from this, the install was pretty straight forward. Apply the supplied Exhaust paste and push on the link pipe (with the Clamp brackets on) and slide this onto the down pipe. Do this up so it is tight but still free to pivot so there is enough play to position the pipe into the correct place. Then paste and attach the Lextek slip onto the link pipe and do the same with this clamp. From here, you will be able to play around with the positioning until you can get it right (at the start i was scratching my head thinking, there is no way this will align) but a bit of spinning the link pipe around and you will soon see that lovely system starting to look the part. From here tighten up the link pipe to down pipe fully but leave the muffler to link pipe finger tight!! This will give you a bit of Freedom to work out and install the exhaust hanger, at first look you will think, there is no way this is right as the brackets and exhaust look completely off, but this is where the 45 degree bolts come in and the choice of hanger brackets!! You will need the longer bracket, bolt this to the bike mount finger tight then comes the fiddly bit... one of the 45 degree bolts has a thread, this is placed at the back behind the bracket and the one without thread goes on the inside between the hanger and the Lextek Exhaust. Because the bolts are both at 45 degrees, you do not need a spanner on them (which as they are perfectly round, you would not be able to do anyway) as they lock together to stop any movement which is a great idea BUT, the problem i found was getting them tight to lock whilst holding everything in place when initially putting the bolt in. After a few ****s and Buggers it starts to pinch, then just before you give it the final twist of the wrench, make sure you are happy with the alignment of the pipe and the exhaust and do the exhaust bracket as tight as you can. THEN secure the link pipe to exhaust bracket. If you do this the other way around the exhaust will move and push itself away from the link pipe!!

Not a hard job by any means, and i am a novice! Just would of been a lot easier if they had included instructions on their design, even if just a generic one to give you an idea!

Now was the time to start the bike, cleaning up can wait - i was desperate to see the difference in sound... and WOW! What a difference this makes, as soon as it started up there was a nice, full, deep grumble that was cut off by the stock exhaust. Then with a flick of the wrist, i realised just how loud this can was! Lets just say that, i will NOT be removing the optional removable baffle anytime soon as there is really no need - especially if you want to avoid Mr plod and pass an MOT! (At the testers discretion, of course ). Out on the road, it is loud enough to put a smile on your face, but not so loud it makes your wife nagging at you seem like something to look forward to! All in all, VERY impressed and cannot see why anyone would pay 3 times more for a better known sticker!

Pictures and video to follow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement