Slight oil 'leak' from top of crank case - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-05-20, 19:41 Thread Starter
nancy675
Junior Member
 
nancy675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Slight oil 'leak' from top of crank case

hi all! First time poster here! I've just bought my latest toy, 09 Daytona 675, only to come home from my first ride to see a very small amount of oil seeping from what looks to be the top of the crank case (hard to see due to fairings - and I'm not game to take them off on my own yet! but I think that's where it's coming from). Photo included. No drips under the bike or in the belly of the fairings, and none on my boot after the ride. Anybody else have a similar issue or any ideas what it may be? I'm booked in to take it to Triumph next week but was just hoping to ease my worried mind a bit hahaha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1569.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	253027  
nancy675 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 07-06-20, 10:09
Stephen Pilsworth
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 38
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Normally caused by a damaged gasket etc.

Best course of action is to take the case off, remove all the old gasket and in my case I'll always use gasket sealant on both edges and sandwich the gasket between. Thebln torque it to spec.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Stephen Pilsworth is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 07-06-20, 19:41 Thread Starter
nancy675
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
nancy675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Pilsworth View Post
Normally caused by a damaged gasket etc.

Best course of action is to take the case off, remove all the old gasket and in my case I'll always use gasket sealant on both edges and sandwich the gasket between. Thebln torque it to spec.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
Thanks so much! Hopefully that sorts me out - cheers!
nancy675 is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 Old 07-06-20, 23:47
ramnakhle
Member
 
ramnakhle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Beirut
Posts: 208
Thanks: 52
Thanked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy675 View Post
hi all! First time poster here! I've just bought my latest toy, 09 Daytona 675, only to come home from my first ride to see a very small amount of oil seeping from what looks to be the top of the crank case (hard to see due to fairings - and I'm not game to take them off on my own yet! but I think that's where it's coming from). Photo included. No drips under the bike or in the belly of the fairings, and none on my boot after the ride. Anybody else have a similar issue or any ideas what it may be? I'm booked in to take it to Triumph next week but was just hoping to ease my worried mind a bit hahaha.

Are you taking her to Triumph for that leak only? If so then it’s really not worth it. You will be charged big bucks for a simple job you can do yourself.
Getting to grips with taking your bike apart and putting her back together can be a daunting task the first few times. But you’ll be doing it blindfolded in no time trust me, we’ve all been there. Get a service manual and follow it to the letter, and always make sure you have the right tools for any job before you start, and you’ll be fine.

About the leak
I would take the fairings out and get a clear look to be 100% sure where this leak is coming from before I let anyone touch it. There are quite a few places up top where the engine could leak a few drops of oil.
Get in there with a flashlight and check all gaskets and seals.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ramnakhle is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 07-07-20, 13:06
Renboy
Member
 
Renboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Guelph
Posts: 553
Thanks: 8
Thanked 26 Times in 26 Posts
Garage
If it's the stator cover that's leaking, it can be a right pain in the hole to get it to stop. Took me three attempts and the better part of two years. Mine ended up leaking from the grommet in two places, where it meets the block/cover, and venturi pulled oil up through the holes where the wires come through. When you put a new gasket on, cover both sides with a good sealer, then slide the cover on, the magnets from the stator will hold it in place and wait at least 15 min before you torque the bolts in place. If you go straight to torquing you will push all the sealant out of where you want it to be. Let the sealant set up a bit first.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
Renboy is offline  
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-20, 21:48 Thread Starter
nancy675
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
nancy675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnakhle View Post
Are you taking her to Triumph for that leak only? If so then it’s really not worth it. You will be charged big bucks for a simple job you can do yourself.
Getting to grips with taking your bike apart and putting her back together can be a daunting task the first few times. But you’ll be doing it blindfolded in no time trust me, we’ve all been there. Get a service manual and follow it to the letter, and always make sure you have the right tools for any job before you start, and you’ll be fine.

About the leak
I would take the fairings out and get a clear look to be 100% sure where this leak is coming from before I let anyone touch it. There are quite a few places up top where the engine could leak a few drops of oil.
Get in there with a flashlight and check all gaskets and seals.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much for your reply! It's going in to Triumph for a service, I've only just bought the bike and want to get a once over done by people who know what they are doing. Thankfully my local Triumph dealer are legends and I trust them to not rip me off :-p
nancy675 is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-20, 21:49 Thread Starter
nancy675
Junior Member
Threadstarter Threadstarter
 
nancy675's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renboy View Post
If it's the stator cover that's leaking, it can be a right pain in the hole to get it to stop. Took me three attempts and the better part of two years. Mine ended up leaking from the grommet in two places, where it meets the block/cover, and venturi pulled oil up through the holes where the wires come through. When you put a new gasket on, cover both sides with a good sealer, then slide the cover on, the magnets from the stator will hold it in place and wait at least 15 min before you torque the bolts in place. If you go straight to torquing you will push all the sealant out of where you want it to be. Let the sealant set up a bit first.
Thanks for your reply! Excellent tips I'll be sure to keep in mind!!
nancy675 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph675.Net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode


Forum Jump

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome