Talk to me about rearsets: AP vs Woodcraft - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 46 Old 06-28-17, 18:04 Thread Starter
Phicurious86

Garage
Talk to me about rearsets: AP vs Woodcraft

So now that I'm going more trackdays on my 14 DaytonaR I'm looking at getting some aftermarket rear sets to help improve my body positioning. I've got it narrowed down to either the AP or the Woodcraft rearsets and while I like the added adjustability of the APs I can get the Woodcrafts for about $100 cheaper than the APs. I also like the pegs on the Woodcrafts vs. the APs. I'm also not terribly interested in GP shift and plan to stay with the stock shifting for the foreseeable future.

I'm looking for feedback on these two sets. Has anyone used both sets and found reason to prefer one over the other? If you were in my shoes would you still spend the extra $100 to get the attacks? Are there things with either set that bothered you or were serious enough that you couldn't live with?

Last edited by Phicurious86; 06-28-17 at 18:44.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 06-28-17, 18:17
MGFChapin

Garage
I've ridden both extensively and I prefer the AP's currently on my bike. They shift smoother, they're more adjustable, neutral is easier to find and in my experience so far, they crash better.

Woodcrafts are more common so if you go down at the track, you're more likely to find someone with spares. @mszilves will tell you repairing a minor lowside will cost $100 minimum for a footpeg and bracket. Lowside the Attacks and it's $50 if you're lucky and just need a footpeg, or $80 if you also broke a brake or shift lever. The cost will even out if you crash enough...

Also, if you care about cosmetics, Woodcraft's anodizing will fade in the sun. I've had no such problem with my AP's.
post #3 of 46 Old 06-28-17, 19:09
mszilves

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
I've ridden both extensively and I prefer the AP's currently on my bike. They shift smoother, they're more adjustable, neutral is easier to find and in my experience so far, they crash better.

Woodcrafts are more common so if you go down at the track, you're more likely to find someone with spares. @mszilves will tell you repairing a minor lowside will cost $100 minimum for a footpeg and bracket. Lowside the Attacks and it's $50 if you're lucky and just need a footpeg, or $80 if you also broke a brake or shift lever. The cost will even out if you crash enough...

Also, if you care about cosmetics, Woodcraft's anodizing will fade in the sun. I've had no such problem with my AP's.
Having ridden both, I have to agree with @MGFChapin . ANY crash on the Woodcraft will likely need a new bracket and peg, which is $100. The bracket is designed to bend to save the frame tabs. The AP brackets are much heavier duty, and in most cases won't bend or break. Every crash is different, so there are no guarantees, but cost-wise on replacements it will probably be a wash in the end. I run Woodcraft regular shift and haven't had a single issue with them, and they shift well. Also, if you're a shorter rider, 5'7" or less, the AP have a little more forward/up adjustment.

"It was the kind of situation that regularly sees many of the people who masquerade as motorcyclists and ride every third Sunday up their favourite local road (if it's sunny) to sit at a cafe and make broom broom noises with other pretend-motorcyclist-idiots, crash their brains out."
__
AFM #11R, WMRRA #11
http://www.hookit.com/members/markszilveszter/
2013 Daytona 675R - race bike
2013 Street Triple R - "other" bike

post #4 of 46 Old 06-29-17, 00:33
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
Woodcraft doesn't use bearings or bushings. Just metal on metal which binds which is one reason why they don't shift as well as the Attack. Also the Attack can be used in standard or GP shift completely reversible as you wish. As well you can adjust the throw of the shifter. Shorter but stiffer shifts or longer easier shifts by changing the leverage point. Lastly unless they've changed things the Woodcrafts don't align the shift rod. It runs at an angle. Once again this is to the detriment of shifting.
post #5 of 46 Old 06-29-17, 10:56
hzhong456

I have also used both Woodcraft and Attacks but on different bikes and I have only used Attacks on my Daytona.

The only reason I got Attack rearsets for the Daytona was because of the shifter setup. Woodcrafts place the shift rod outside of the frame. You also can not switch between GP or regular shift without having to buy different shift levers. For Attacks, it keeps it OEM style through the frame and shifting is switchable between GP and regular.
I also find that the Attack rearsets are a lot easier to adjust or swap out broken parts. The Woodcrafts have to be taken apart slightly to get to the bolts for the foot pegs. The Attacks also shift a lot smoother because of the bearings.

The only thing I don't like about the Attacks is that parts need to be ordered since they are not common at the track events I go to. No big deal though; you just need to make sure you don't crash
post #6 of 46 Old 06-29-17, 12:25 Thread Starter
Phicurious86
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks for all the feedback gents. Looks like the APs have the justification for the price difference.
post #7 of 46 Old 06-29-17, 12:53
JustSomeGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzhong456 View Post
I have also used both Woodcraft and Attacks but on different bikes and I have only used Attacks on my Daytona.

The only reason I got Attack rearsets for the Daytona was because of the shifter setup. Woodcrafts place the shift rod outside of the frame. You also can not switch between GP or regular shift without having to buy different shift levers. For Attacks, it keeps it OEM style through the frame and shifting is switchable between GP and regular.
I also find that the Attack rearsets are a lot easier to adjust or swap out broken parts. The Woodcrafts have to be taken apart slightly to get to the bolts for the foot pegs. The Attacks also shift a lot smoother because of the bearings.

The only thing I don't like about the Attacks is that parts need to be ordered since they are not common at the track events I go to. No big deal though; you just need to make sure you don't crash
I can adjust my footpegs without removing the rearsets from the bike - just takes a stubby 5MM (I believe it's 5MM) hex key. Crashed my Woodcrafts two weeks ago (slow lowside in turn 5 at NJMP Thunderbolt) and took 5 minutes and $20 to swap out a new peg.

'07 Daytona 675
'14 Street Triple R
'08 TTR-125L

Ride at NJMP? I'll trade track days for parts. PM me if interested.
post #8 of 46 Old 06-29-17, 16:27
jackshakes

Garage
Talk to me about rearsets: AP vs Woodcraft

Regarding GP Shift ... dooooo eeeeetttttt. Don't even install the atacks in normal shift. Go GP right out the gate.

You will never go back, and you will kick yourself for every track day you spent on normal shift.

It really is that much better.

2007 Speedmaster
2014 Daytona 675R
post #9 of 46 Old 06-29-17, 18:59
D Unit

Garage
I also vote on APs. I just rode my friend's bike that had it and they looked/felt great. I have no experience with WoodCrafts tho...

2012 D675R
Bay Area, CA
post #10 of 46 Old 06-30-17, 09:03
dogged

One great option no one seems to talk about is the Triumph branded race rearsets. I'm sure someone else makes them, but they are beautiful and functional. Installation was a breeze. The main reason I went with them is the footpegs are on a spring pivot like the stock ones. Models like the Woodcraft have a solid peg that does not give. When you lean way over, it's possible the solid peg can hit the track. When that happens, you get a sudden loss of weight on the tires and a lowside can happen instantly. I really like the pivot action so I can gently control lean without anything unloading. Another plus is they will just fold up in a low side and not bend up everything like is common with solid pegs.

The downside is they are not GP shift swappable if that is a must have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170604_200208.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	229921  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement