RPHA-10 Wind Noise??? - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

post #1 of 17 Old 01-16-17, 03:09 Thread Starter
ramnakhle

Garage
RPHA-10 Wind Noise???

Hi guys. I have recently purchased an HJC-RPHA-10 and I'm loving it.
Problem is the wind noise. Weird because when I first got the helmet it was super quiet and there was no noise whatsoever. Now 3 months in, i can't hear myself think at anything over 60, even with all he vents closed and the chin curtain on. No impacts or drops. There's not a scratch on the helmet.
Tried to cover parts of the visor with my hand while riding to see if the noise went away but it didn't. Checked all the mating surfaces with the rubber gasket around the shield and I can't find any gaps.
I'm just really bummed because the helmet was super quiet and I loved it. Now it just sounds like a storm inside.
Tried to email HJC no answers yet.

Anyone here with similar issues? I mean it's one thing to have a noisy helmet, but since it just got noisy it must be something one can fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-16-17, 03:16
cali675R

Check the padding where the chin straps go. Sometimes that area gets flat with use and lets air in straight to the ears.
The Following User Says Thank You to cali675R For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (01-16-17)
post #3 of 17 Old 01-16-17, 11:07
Bmore

Garage
how's your fit?

did you get a helmet that's just comfortable and not particularly tight? it's possible you need an even tighter fight which you can accomplish with swapping the check pads and helmet liner for slightly thicker ones. whoever your HJC dealer is should be able to help. otherwise i could help.

personally, regardless of helmet, i always use foam earplugs. the wind noise at highway speeds and above is just unbearable. and the earplugs really help in reducing stress and anxiety that you're not even thinking about

how to mount your fairings while high (very slowly with errors)https://youtu.be/OQbHxDPLkPM
The Following User Says Thank You to Bmore For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (01-16-17)

post #4 of 17 Old 01-16-17, 11:43
tottenham12712

That helmet is not a street helmet, quietness isnt going to be a thing for any helmet thats meant for the track as they assume you are wearing ear protection. If you aren't wearing ear plugs you need to start otherwise you will damage your ears.
The Following User Says Thank You to tottenham12712 For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (01-16-17)
post #5 of 17 Old 01-16-17, 11:51
IanC

Garage
The RPHA 10 isn't a quiet helmet to start with. It is well vented which usually means more noise. That said, I don't consider mine excessively loud but what I consider loud and what you do may be very different things.

2012 Triumph Daytona 675R
1978 Suzuki GS1000E
The Following User Says Thank You to IanC For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (01-16-17)
post #6 of 17 Old 01-16-17, 12:45 Thread Starter
ramnakhle
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali675R View Post
Check the padding where the chin straps go. Sometimes that area gets flat with use and lets air in straight to the ears.
Thanks. Will do that asap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore View Post
how's your fit?

did you get a helmet that's just comfortable and not particularly tight? it's possible you need an even tighter fight which you can accomplish with swapping the check pads and helmet liner for slightly thicker ones. whoever your HJC dealer is should be able to help. otherwise i could help.

personally, regardless of helmet, i always use foam earplugs. the wind noise at highway speeds and above is just unbearable. and the earplugs really help in reducing stress and anxiety that you're not even thinking about
The helmet fits tight. It's a struggle to get it on and off...
Earplugs not my thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tottenham12712 View Post
That helmet is not a street helmet, quietness isnt going to be a thing for any helmet thats meant for the track as they assume you are wearing ear protection. If you aren't wearing ear plugs you need to start otherwise you will damage your ears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
The RPHA 10 isn't a quiet helmet to start with. It is well vented which usually means more noise. That said, I don't consider mine excessively loud but what I consider loud and what you do may be very different things.
Thanks for all hte input guys.
I know the RPHA-10 is a racing helmet and comfort and silence were not he priorities in design. But the thing is something has changed since i got it. It was MUCH quieter when i got it, and now something has changed. If it was this loud when i got it i would understand and get earplugs. But something has changed and i'm trying to figure out what it is...
post #7 of 17 Old 01-16-17, 14:04
Glocken

foam loosening, debris/bug/rocks in a vent hole, something not fully sealing.

regardless, ear plugs make riding so much more pleasant. you gain so much consciousness to your surroundings when wind noise is completely blocked out; if there was a game hud I feel like it would be +10 focus once I equip ear plugs

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
The Following User Says Thank You to Glocken For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (01-17-17)
post #8 of 17 Old 01-16-17, 17:16
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocken View Post
if there was a game hud I feel like it would be +10 focus once I equip ear plugs
... and -10 points fatigue once you step off the bike :)
The Following User Says Thank You to Plasmablaster For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (01-17-17)
post #9 of 17 Old 01-17-17, 01:50
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnakhle View Post
Thanks. Will do that asap.

The helmet fits tight. It's a struggle to get it on and off...
Earplugs not my thing
Here's what has happened. When new, the foam wasn't as forgiving. Now that you have worn it some, it loosened up and expanded. The Foam doesn't "snap back".

Earplugs aren't your thing? Neither is hearing then. At highway speeds (60mph, or 98kmh), wind noise is a whopping 97db WITH a helmet on! 100db without anything. Scientists confirm that anything above 80db for a prolong time, will PERMANENTLY damage your hearing.

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=150

Besides, using ear plugs make you more "in tune" with the bike. Can't hear the wind noise, but can still hear and feel the bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shamrock For This Useful Post:
ramnakhle (01-17-17)
post #10 of 17 Old 01-17-17, 01:55 Thread Starter
ramnakhle
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
Here's what has happened. When new, the foam wasn't as forgiving. Now that you have worn it some, it loosened up and expanded. The Foam doesn't "snap back".

Earplugs aren't your thing? Neither is hearing then. At highway speeds (60mph, or 98kmh), wind noise is a whopping 97db WITH a helmet on! 100db without anything. Scientists confirm that anything above 80db for a prolong time, will PERMANENTLY damage your hearing.

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=150

Besides, using ear plugs make you more "in tune" with the bike. Can't hear the wind noise, but can still hear and feel the bike.

Guess I'll give it a try.
I have a Scala Q3 installed and like to hear some low volume music in the background. Also I have to be able to receive calls at all times. Can you hear the comms ok with earplugs?
Thank you all :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement