Hood Jeans K7 Review (not tested thankfully) - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Gear Review and debate everything from helmets to tank bags. If it fits on you or the bike, discuss it here.

post #1 of 19 Old 03-31-17, 11:33 Thread Starter
Italianbuca

Post Hood Jeans K7 Review (not tested thankfully)

With the riding season almost back up here in New England, I decided it was time to spend the money on better protection for my legs and a**. For the past 5 years I've always just worn regular jeans, even with going down once at low speed when I first started riding where jeans didn't hold up for sh**.

I didn't see any formal review of this product so I figured I would just do a new thread with my review/input. There are some other posts where people reference Hood Jeans, and I'm sure there are plenty of you who already have them.

Anyways, after doing research on various forums, including here I decided to go with Hood Jeans K7 in Black. They are not the cheapest, but they definitely offered the most protection after doing my homework. Cost with the d30 level 1 armour plates came to $197 USD, which included freight, taxes, etc.

Reasoning for this choice:
* Heaviest Denim Fabric that I could find, being at just over 14 oz.
* Full Para-aramid inner liner from the waist down to the ankles. Most other brands only do a liner patch aroung the waist/a** and at the knees.
* All para-aramid threading for seams
* Pockets/velco at knees and hips for armour plates
* D30 armour plates at knees and hips (I have other items such as beanies for snowboarding that use D30 and it is great stuff, more on this later).

Fitment/Comfort:
* Fit like a regular Levi Jean, true to the size listed and ordered. Not a loose fit, but not a skinny jean fit. Regular is the only way I can describe it haha.
* Very comfortable overall, a bit on the heavy side which is to be expected. The Para-aramid liner is noticeable in that its not soft like cotton, but its not rough or scratchy either.
* the D30 armour plates are very comfortable and flexible. If you have not heard of this product before give it a google. Under impact it gets very hard. The knee plates are barely noticeable when walking around, kneeling, squatting down. The hip plates are comfortable as well, the only thing with these is that they obviously make you a bit wider, so the waist fitment of the jeans get a little more snug. Not enough where they aren't comfortable anymore, but just enough that you notice the snugness with the plates in at the hip.
* They look just like reagular jeans

Service:
* Fantastic service and customer support. Prior to ordering I emailed them with questions to verify the exact size I should order. Julie, one of the owner's, responded within the hour and gave me the direction I should go in. She stated to go off of my true size measurements as their jean is true size as well. She also recommended to add 1" to the length so that when on the bike/squatting the pants don't pull up. I normally wear a 34/32 and that is what I ordered, which I'm glad I did.
* They will modify their pants to accommodate any waist/length combination at no extra cost.
* Their website states about 10 days for delivery to the USA for in stock items, I received them in 2 days.

Overall, I am very happy with my decision and already feel more protected for when I will be out riding. I plan on adding a pair of their Cargo pants in the very near future as well.

I'm just at work now, but I will take and upload some photos when I get home.

2011 D675 Special Edition
The Following User Says Thank You to Italianbuca For This Useful Post:
Neanderthal (03-31-17)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-31-17, 12:38
Neanderthal

Garage
D3O is pretty nice stuff, I've ordered the separate components to replace armored bits in a couple different pants. Good review.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-03-17, 00:53
SV650sWanted

Thanks for the review, one question as I am also in the market for a pair of jeans made specifically for riding:

1. I see the list of reasons you had for this particular purchase but was cost also a factor because Lean Angle Jeans seem to offer the same features with the only main difference being denim weight, seam stitching method, and the moisture wicking liner?

- Para-aramid is basically an umbrella term which kevlar falls under, so it looks like both Hood and Lean Angle use the same inner liner (although Lean Angle claims to have their own blend of synthetic fibers between Kevlar and UHMWPE).

- Lean Angle uses Forcefield for their armor inserts as compared to Hood which uses D30, not quite sure how they are different from each other.

- Looks like Lean Angle Jeans uses double stitching for seams not sure if the thread is kevlar or not (probably is as I doubt they would compromise at a weak point) but Hood definitely uses kevlar for seams.

I'm not trying to attack your decision, it just honestly seems like there isn't much of a difference between the two and I'm left wondering why one over the other besides personal preference. Like I said earlier I'm also in the market for a pair and these seem to be less costly than Lean Angle Jeans with a better look (it isn't obvious what their intended use is) so I am interested in them as an option.

Last edited by SV650sWanted; 04-03-17 at 12:55.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-03-17, 12:24 Thread Starter
Italianbuca
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Hey SV. I'll get some pictures posted up hopefully this evening. I'll try to get some close ups of the stitching too. Things have been a bit busy this weekend.

Honestly, I tried searching a lot of other forums and gear review sites, and a lot of other people picked Hood and Draggin as the main two that I have seen. The Hood seemed like a big step up from Draggin when I was researching. I honestly have not heard of Lean Angle when I was looking around. Also some friend of mine locally had Hood jeans as well, so I got to see and feel them in person prior to ordering.

If I am not mistaken forcefield armour is always hard, whereas the D30 product is more flexible but under pressure and impact it hardens up. This would make the D30 product much more comfortable versus a standard armour plate. Quite a few people have actually replaced their regular armour with D30 armour in their gear for this reason. D30 armour is still available in CE1 and CE2 ratings as well. (I don't represent them and I am not trying to sell you one way or another. This is just what I have gathered and seen in person).

I don't take your post as an attack at all haha. Gear and purchases get expensive, so the more knowledge prior to purchase the better.

I'm sure others can chime in as well and provide their input or answer any other questions you have.

SV650sWanted (04-03-17)
post #5 of 19 Old 04-03-17, 12:53
SV650sWanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianbuca View Post
If I am not mistaken forcefield armour is always hard, whereas the D30 product is more flexible but under pressure and impact it hardens up. This would make the D30 product much more comfortable versus a standard armour plate. Quite a few people have actually replaced their regular armour with D30 armour in their gear for this reason. D30 armour is still available in CE1 and CE2 ratings as well. (I don't represent them and I am not trying to sell you one way or another. This is just what I have gathered and seen in person).
Thanks for the reply, glad you didn't take my post as an attack. I currently use the Forcefield Pro L2 Kevlar back protector. It starts off fairly firm but once it heats up from body heat the armor tends to become more flexible and contours to the rider very well, the process accelerates depending on the ambient temperature.

Overall, the D30 and Forcefield armor work the same way in dissipating energy from an impact. Seems like the way both companies go about doing this is slightly different based on the properties of the material and in terms of having something that is "free flowing" I can see an advantage in that aspect.

I look forward to seeing some pictures of the jeans, compared to Lean Angle jeans these seem to be ~$60 less even when spec'd out with the CE Level 2 armor.

Last edited by SV650sWanted; 04-03-17 at 13:03.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-03-17, 13:23
i-engineer

Has anyone compared the Hood or the Lean angle jeans with say a Dainese Bonneville?

I'm also looking for some jeans for commuting. Tried on the Dainese and they felt great, very comfortable but not sure how well they hold up? .. it almost felt too thin and flexible but I have heard from a few people that they hold up well. Maybe their fabrics/quality is really fantastic and they offer great protectio or it really is too thin.
post #7 of 19 Old 04-06-17, 10:08 Thread Starter
Italianbuca

sorry for the delay on the photos.

Just some overall shots, up close shots of the stitching, and an example of the D30 flexibility. Note that the armour plate I took the photos of is for the hip, I already have the knee ones in place at the right location for me, and I didn't want to pull them out and have to readjust/play with the location again putting them back. Sorry for being lazy haha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_193612.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	224930   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_193624.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	224938   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_193635.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	224946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_193746.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	224954   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_193801.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	224962  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_193937.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	224970   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_193956.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	224978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_194021.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	224986   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_194144.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	224994   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170404_194155.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	225002  

SV650sWanted (04-06-17)
post #8 of 19 Old 04-06-17, 13:53
SV650sWanted

I see the inner para-aramid liner does not extend down to the bottom of the leg, do you wear these with riding boots? If so, do they easily go over the outside of the boot or do you have to wear them with the jean tucked into the boot?
post #9 of 19 Old 04-09-17, 20:03 Thread Starter
Italianbuca

I do wear riding boots, spidi xp5. the lining layer and pants do go over the top of the boot. a little snug going over them at the very top of the boot but then the go right down over.

just went for the first ride this season now that the weather is much better here is new england. pants were very comfortable overall and good movement. a little snug for now but not unbearably. they should break in with more riding, as with any other gear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

SV650sWanted (04-09-17)
post #10 of 19 Old 04-09-17, 21:52
SV650sWanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianbuca View Post
I do wear riding boots, spidi xp5. the lining layer and pants do go over the top of the boot. a little snug going over them at the very top of the boot but then the go right down over.

just went for the first ride this season now that the weather is much better here is new england. pants were very comfortable overall and good movement. a little snug for now but not unbearably. they should break in with more riding, as with any other gear.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Thanks for letting us know, I think I'm going to go ahead and order a pair for myself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement