Cannot Remove Front Axle Bolt - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 8 Old 01-31-19, 20:34 Thread Starter
A$AP_Berm

Cannot Remove Front Axle Bolt

So I’m trying to remove my front wheel to get new tires on it. I removed the pinch bolts and the brake calipers but when I unscrew the 17mm axle bolt it doesn’t slide it. When I get to a certain point it just clicks back in as if it was seating back into the threads. I have the front wheel off the ground. Even tried to put my foot under it to keep the pressure off of it and try but still nothing. Any ideasv
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-01-19, 11:35
mpusch

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the exact problem, but can you loosen the bolt enough to slide a thin piece of metal or something between the head of the bolt and the fork leg? Maybe that would provide some resistance when it tries to sink back in?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-01-19, 12:45
tottenham12712

Quote:
Originally Posted by A$AP_Berm View Post
So I’m trying to remove my front wheel to get new tires on it. I removed the pinch bolts and the brake calipers but when I unscrew the 17mm axle bolt it doesn’t slide it. When I get to a certain point it just clicks back in as if it was seating back into the threads. I have the front wheel off the ground. Even tried to put my foot under it to keep the pressure off of it and try but still nothing. Any ideasv

If you are saying you have loosened the axle and it is now free spinning with some of it sticking out on the throttle side of the bike. Take your left hand and grab the axle, put your foot underneath the front tire, use your right arm and foot to lift the front tire and wiggle it as you pull the axle out with your left hand.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-01-19, 21:50
t_bare

Garage
At the track I once saw a guy with a 675r where the axle spun and spread the forks apart but the axle was stuck it would not come out. We strapped the the fork legs together to try and get the axle free but it would not let go and I did not want to damage his bike. I don't know how he got it apart, it was the strangest thing. It was as if the axle was seized to the spacer between the wheel bearings.

t_bare

post #5 of 8 Old 02-02-19, 00:07
MGFChapin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
At the track I once saw a guy with a 675r where the axle spun and spread the forks apart but the axle was stuck it would not come out. We strapped the the fork legs together to try and get the axle free but it would not let go and I did not want to damage his bike. I don't know how he got it apart, it was the strangest thing. It was as if the axle was seized to the spacer between the wheel bearings.
I’m going to hazard a guess, and this could apply to OP as well, that the forks were set at different heights either at the factory or during the last service. Doesn’t take much to angle the axle enough where it won’t come out. If this ever happens again, I’d lift the bike on a triple tree stand, loosen the triple tree pinch bolts and let the forks drop a little to ensure they’re exactly the same height.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-02-19, 02:58
Paulo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by A$AP_Berm View Post
It's very easy to do. Mine gets stuck exactly the way you described it. All I do is take a piece of rod that fits into the clutch side axle hole and with a rubber hammer I pound the axle out slowly. It's not seating back into the threads. It's just stuck.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-02-19, 07:52
Chirp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
I’m going to hazard a guess, and this could apply to OP as well, that the forks were set at different heights either at the factory or during the last service. Doesn’t take much to angle the axle enough where it won’t come out. If this ever happens again, I’d lift the bike on a triple tree stand, loosen the triple tree pinch bolts and let the forks drop a little to ensure they’re exactly the same height.
My guess as well.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '18 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R
post #8 of 8 Old 02-04-19, 08:09

I had the exact same thing happen to me twice my first year racing. It would unthread on the one side and start to spread the forks apart. The first time wasn’t as bad as the second time. It was due to over tightening the front axle. The wheel spacers were swollen up and wouldn’t let the axle slide threw. After that experience I replaced the spacers and always use a torque wrench. It never happened again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement