Lithium Battery Issues? - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 15 Old 01-23-19, 22:12 Thread Starter
SuzukiLove

Lithium Battery Issues?

I recently did what i thought would be an upgrade and swapped to a lithium ion battery and have had nothing but issues since. They battery died from full charge in just 3 days never had been an issue when i had a standard battery. But on top of that i dont have a charger and i heard that you can not jump start these in any way without damaging the battery or explosions. On top of that i found out little to late that they wont work in the cold as well but that ones on me. And the battery died parked inside my 65 degree F house. Anyone else have nay similar experiences? Its a Fiirepower featherlite if it matters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-23-19, 22:23
Rookie28

Garage
Iíve had a shorai lithium battery for almost 2 years now and have had zero issues with it. Starts in the cold with no issues.

Since itís only been 3 days you can probably return the battery. Iíve never heard of the brand you mentioned, but maybe you can try a more well known brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 01-24-19, 00:37
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
Either it wasnít fully charged when you got it or you got a bum one. You should get a charger safe to charge lithium batteries. You donít want a charger with a desulfation cycle and you donít want to supply too much current like you might when jump starting.
The Following User Says Thank You to MacBandit For This Useful Post:
jdgun_13 (01-24-19)

post #4 of 15 Old 01-24-19, 09:57
tottenham12712

All of WPS's batteries are cheap. Return it and order a shorai and their balanced charger. I've had 2 for over 2 years with zero issues even in colder weather, one on my race bike (675) and the other on my DRZ.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-24-19, 10:07
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
Agreed. WPS batteries are garbage and Shorai is the best Lithium especially for road bikes.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-24-19, 11:32
jdgun_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
Agreed. WPS batteries are garbage and Shorai is the best Lithium especially for road bikes.

So true, I have had the same shorai on my 675R for over 8 years and still works fine, I think the one in my Panigale is close it that and also works just fine, even in 40 degree temps.

Most of you people are not capable of being your GD self, to damn worried about being politically correct.

2011- Triumph Daytona 675R
2005- Kawasaki ZX-10R
2003- Kawasaki ZX-6RR
post #7 of 15 Old 01-24-19, 13:34
kman0066

You can charge/jump lithium batteries with just some basic rules, all aimed at not putting too much current through the battery:
1.) Don't use a battery charger where you can't turn off the battery repair/de-sulfication process. This basically shoves a bunch of current into the battery to break off the crystals on the cells, which is BAD to do on a lithium battery, but GOOD to do on a lead acid.
2.) Don't leave a charger on that will charge it without shut-off, the battery will over-charge
3.) If jumping, don't use an aggressive jump box, just jump from a plain battery.

Also, never let lithium batteries get too low. Once they reach a really low voltage, even once, they won't take a charge ever again.
post #8 of 15 Old 01-24-19, 14:53
tottenham12712

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman0066 View Post
You can charge/jump lithium batteries with just some basic rules, all aimed at not putting too much current through the battery:
1.) Don't use a battery charger where you can't turn off the battery repair/de-sulfication process. This basically shoves a bunch of current into the battery to break off the crystals on the cells, which is BAD to do on a lithium battery, but GOOD to do on a lead acid.
2.) Don't leave a charger on that will charge it without shut-off, the battery will over-charge
3.) If jumping, don't use an aggressive jump box, just jump from a plain battery.

Also, never let lithium batteries get too low. Once they reach a really low voltage, even once, they won't take a charge ever again.

If the battery and charger is not capable of a balanced charge its a waste of time and money. Get a balanced charger and only a balanced charger. It will last much longer as there are individual cells that will naturally go out of balance over time due to the chemistry of the battery cells being slightly different. A balanced charger made for that type of battery will balance the cells as well as properly float a lithium battery even for long term storage. These typically use balanced charging cables and connectors that are separate from where the starter and electronics pull power from. EDIT: You also cannot use a normal battery charger for anything other then a top up, you cannot leave it on for storage. You must use a balance charger for storage.

You also should straight up never jump start or even push start a lithium battery. Almost all lithium OEMs recommend not jump or push starting period. Again this is why you need that balanced charger to properly recover a lithium battery. Once the battery is low enough that it needs to be jumped the cells are not balanced enough, the amperage is too high due to low voltage, and you can get a complete failure of the battery.

https://shoraipower.com/sho-bms01-p134
https://shoraipower.com/charging

See this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...elted-1166163/

Specifically this post: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo.../#post24123411

Last edited by tottenham12712; 01-24-19 at 15:01.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-24-19, 19:41
topgunz1

I've had a WPS for over 2 years, Only one issue at a 45-50 degree track day when the headlights were removed. I had to let it sit for a few minutes with the key on to warm it up to crank once or twice.

ďFaster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.Ē
― Hunter S. Thompson
post #10 of 15 Old 01-25-19, 08:56
hzhong456

I've never had issues with lithium batteries either. I have a Ballistic brand one in my track bike and it's over 6 years old. After track season is over here on the East coast, I just disconnect the terminals and the charge holds until next season. It's pretty much maintenance free as long as you don't let it drain below a certain voltage. After a certain point, you're pretty much SOL. As tottenham12712 said, always use a balanced charger to balance the cells if it needs to be charged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement