K-Tech DDS Suspension Review - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 29 Old 10-01-18, 11:12 Thread Starter
tottenham12712

K-Tech DDS Suspension Review

I recently upgraded my 2013 675r to a DDS pro rear shock and a DDS cartridge kit for the front. The "Review" will be split between the front and rear.

Me: 155lbs, AM racer. NJMP Lightening: 1:11s, NJMP Thunderbolt: 1:33s.
Bike: Stock class bike, stock engine, bolt ons, no changes to triple clamp.

Rear:
- K-Tech DDS Pro rear shock: http://www.ktechsuspension.com/products/dds-pro
- Attack Performance Linear Rear link: https://www.triumph675.net/forum/sho...d.php?t=175018

Thoughts: I've never felt the bike this hooked up. I went from being nervous about getting on the gas too early due to the rear just wanting to spin and push the bike wide, to basically pinning it after every apex and leaving trails of rubber at ever corner. A rear tire used to last me 4 days, it now wont even last 2 days. My first time back at the track with this setup I dropped 7 seconds. The bike doesnt have a mind of its own, you tell it where you want it to go and it listens, if the rear does start to step out its 100% predictable and controllable. On a new tire I had zero pumping, as the tire started to age I started to get a tiny little bit but nothing drastic. The biggest difference though from the stock TTX is this shock doesnt go to shit after 4 days from being serviced, the stock shock would feel great for 2-3 days and then I would start eating tires and running wide. This DDS pro shock has not had that issue after 5 track days and 5 races, it still feels just as good as the day I put it in. I now have 100% confidence in the rear of this bike, this was 100% worth every dollar I spent.

Front:
- K-Tech DDS cartridge: http://www.ktechsuspension.com/products/dds

Thoughts: The difference is staggeringly different, to the point that I had to relearn how I brake and tip into a corner. The stock NIX 30 kit has a hard mechanical bottom, there is very little feel about when you are about to bottom. So if you are trying to make that pass and need to brake just that little bit deeper doing it on these can get really sketchy. The DDS doesnt have this hard bottom, it has this progressive hydraulic bottom that gets stiffer and stiffer as you get close to full travel of the forks (something the stock carts dont have, they do not use 10-12mm of fork travel). This makes braking deep and late much more predictable as you can feel the forks getting to their maximum with ease. Im able to trail brake harder and longer to apex then I have ever done before, these carts provide a ton of feel while still managing to feel controlled but also compliant. These carts require you to be ultra smooth on your braking... something I had to change. After braking I had the confidence to enter all corners at a higher speed without any skittish feeling in the front end, it felt insane to carry that much pace into a corner. I have a ton more confidence in the front end of this bike. This kit is admittedly... very expensive, I cant say it was worth every dollar (yet) I simply dont think im good enough to really leverage all that these carts can provide but with time I think this investment will be worth every dollar. The kit also comes with 3 sets of springs (8.5, 9.0, 9.5) and the tools required to swap them, a spring swap can be done in 10-15 min in the pits.

Overall this bike is now on rails, I have full confidence in pushing hard every single lap while constantly setting PBs. Its a bummer the season is over but im very excited to keep progressing on this setup next year, it should be fun :).

Note: Everything was 100% purchased by me, my local race shop did me a favor and installed the cartridge kit for free but I paid for the parts. The settings used were the baselines from ktech based on weight and pace, they were near perfect minus small tweaks to rebound.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tottenham12712 For This Useful Post:
675ing (10-16-18), Rookie28 (10-17-18)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-01-18, 15:01
MGFChapin

Garage
Didn't think you'd notice that much of a difference with the cartridges. Pretty impressive. I wonder if their IDS system would yield similar results for amateurs like us?

What tires are you on?

After what you said about the shock, I am really on the fence now about getting service tools for my TTX. I could pick them up and do the shocks for 3 other guys locally, but it would take forever to get my money back. Really leaning towards a DDS Pro now...
post #3 of 29 Old 10-01-18, 16:43 Thread Starter
tottenham12712
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Didn't think you'd notice that much of a difference with the cartridges. Pretty impressive. I wonder if their IDS system would yield similar results for amateurs like us?

What tires are you on?

After what you said about the shock, I am really on the fence now about getting service tools for my TTX. I could pick them up and do the shocks for 3 other guys locally, but it would take forever to get my money back. Really leaning towards a DDS Pro now...

I cant speak to the IDS system, no idea. I use Pirelli SC2 front, SC1 rear. Honestly revalve the front first if you have not already done that, and if you get the DDS lite (its the same shock minus the bypass valve and hydraulic preload adjuster but cheaper) with a linear link im sure you will think its worth the dollars. The bypass valve is pretty sweet and the hydraulic preload is totally not really needed but its nice to have if you can swing the extra cash. They both have ride height adjustment as well.

The light is $1200: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...treet-triple-r
The pro is $1600: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...75-r-2013-2017

Last edited by tottenham12712; 10-01-18 at 16:49.

post #4 of 29 Old 10-01-18, 16:51
MGFChapin

Garage
Yeah I did like the sound of the bypass valve, but the hydraulic preload is totally useless to me. Their site says they can upgrade a Lite to a Pro, I wonder if they could do bypass without hydraulic preload? I'll ask if/when I'm ready to pull the trigger.
post #5 of 29 Old 10-01-18, 16:58 Thread Starter
tottenham12712

Quote:
Yeah I did like the sound of the bypass valve, but the hydraulic preload is totally useless to me. Their site says they can upgrade a Lite to a Pro, I wonder if they could do bypass without hydraulic preload? I'll ask if/when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Yes the valve can be installed after the fact. You definitely do not require the preload adjuster.
post #6 of 29 Old 10-02-18, 14:16
stamatisx

Have you figured out how to effectively use the bypass valve yet?
post #7 of 29 Old 10-02-18, 14:39 Thread Starter
tottenham12712

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatisx View Post
Have you figured out how to effectively use the bypass valve yet?

Sure, in the wet its super easy to just change both settings via the bypass valve, as well as regular fine tuning at the track when needed. It adjusts the low speed rebound and compression circuits.
The Following User Says Thank You to tottenham12712 For This Useful Post:
stamatisx (10-03-18)
post #8 of 29 Old 10-03-18, 12:55
jscottyk

Quote:
It's my understanding from my suspension guy (Roger Albert at On Road Off Road)that such is possible. For racing purposes he recommends starting with the Lite and make the customizations you need/want.
post #9 of 29 Old 10-03-18, 12:59
jscottyk

Thanks for the review @tottenham12712 !
post #10 of 29 Old 10-04-18, 18:37
Phicurious86

Garage
Quality review.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement