Cranks but doesn't start (CPS??) - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 2 Old 06-27-20, 09:41 Thread Starter
iamspeed

Cranks but doesn't start (CPS??)

Hello everyone,

Last year my bike (2011 street triple R) didn't start only cranked, long story short I measured the cps and found that it had much higher ohms than expected so I changed it for some ebay cps (i cut the old one and resoldered the new one - plus i put two small heat shrinking rubber tubes on the bare wires so the soldering is covered and the wires couldn't touch).

Last week my bike again did crank but didn't start (no symptoms before this) I went through all the normal stuff battery, tryied starting fluid (no luck there) and I found there was no spark. I hooked up my bluetooth obd2 reader with tuneecu and found no error codes, but strangely the tuneecu shows 0 rpm during cranking.

I measured the cps and got 211 ohms which is good (and this is 1 year old sensor - seems like this isn't the problem - but the rpm says otherwise?). I measured the cps ~volts when not connected to the ecu during cranking and I got around 3V, but when i hooked it up to the ecu and cranked I got almost zero ~volts from the senzor. Weird, can anyone measure how many ~volts does the cps produce when cranking and connected to the ecu?

I continued by pulling the stator cover off and found that one head shrinking rubber tube on the cps wire is missing, however no shortcircuit because there is no way that wire would touch anything and the other wire still has the tube.

Any tips? It seems like the cps again, but I am not sure anymore since it reads correct ohms?

Last edited by iamspeed; 06-27-20 at 12:31.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-29-20, 10:47
cdenley

Garage
Not sure if this could be causing your issues, but you should have spliced the new CPS outside of your motor. It is a pain to do, but you need to snake the wire through the rubber seal. Otherwise, you can replace the stator and CPS as a set.

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Amateur #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement