Daytona 675 cranking but not firing - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 14 Old 07-13-20, 19:41 Thread Starter
hellofriends

Angry Daytona 675 cranking but not firing

Bike has 6000 miles, bit neglected for about 6 months. Bike started perfectly 6 months ago. I try to start it now and it just cranks but never fires up. I noticed that the fuel pump primes about 5 times then stops. When I turn the bike off after trying to prime about 5 times, it makes some weird sound after like 20 seconds. It almost sounds like a computer glitching out or like dialing up for internet or something. I figured it might be the fuel so I take the tank off and empty the whole tank and fill it with new gas. Did not help at all. I try cleaning the fuel pump. Honestly that fuel pump was pretty rusty but I did quite a good job cleaning it up and the filter to the best of my ability. Still didn't fire up. Now I don't know if I put the fuel pump on incorrectly or what, but there was an audible sound of pressure building in the tank so I opened the gas cap and it made a quiet popping sound from the pressure buildup. I don't remember it doing that before putting the fuel pump back on but I'm pretty sure I did it correctly. Anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-14-20, 04:59
Stephen Pilsworth

Sounds like the CPS sensor. Should be guides online on how to test it, just requires lifting the tank and sticking a bolt meter on one of the white plugs to check it

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 07-15-20, 18:17 Thread Starter
hellofriends
Threadstarter Threadstarter

I tried starting the bike with starting fluid and it fired for a short moment. Could it still be the CPS?

post #4 of 14 Old 07-15-20, 20:26
cdenley

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofriends View Post
I tried starting the bike with starting fluid and it fired for a short moment. Could it still be the CPS?
I think that suggests the problem is elsewhere. If the CPS were failing, you wouldn't get any spark. Not sure it would cause it to not start, but if you have pressure building in the tank, make sure the vent pipe under the cap is clear. Does it start with the cap open?

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Expert #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
post #5 of 14 Old 07-15-20, 21:45 Thread Starter
hellofriends

I'm currently away from the bike so I wont be able to test starting it with the cap open until tomorrow. It only built up all that pressure the first time after putting the cleaned fuel pump back on. I did notice the two open long pipes on the bottom of the fuel tank were rusty and filled with rust and gunk. Are these the vent pipes? I tried to clean them out a bit with a small screwdriver but didn't want to risk snapping the pipes.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-15-20, 23:23
keeena

I'm guessing the starter fluid was a red herring. All signs are pointing to CPS...definitely be the first thing I'd look at & its very easy to test. Its a white, 2 wire plug just behind the coolant overflow. Should test to about 220ohms IIRC. Mine also just gave up the ghost last month.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-16-20, 10:21 Thread Starter
hellofriends

I'm guessing I would need a multimeter to test the plugs? If so, what kind would you recommend?
post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-20, 23:02
keeena

Yep, you need a multimeter.

If you want cheap, any basic DMM like this (Amazon) will work. Reliability will be questionable; I've heard that some of their mid- and higher-priced models are OK.

If you want a well designed DMM, true RMS, reliable, etc...: I would suggest a Fluke 117 (Amazon) or similar.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-24-20, 21:11 Thread Starter
hellofriends

Checked CPS and it was fine. Decided to clean injectors, thinking that possibly they were clogged. I didn't do a perfect job of cleaning them, just sprayed some carb cleaner through them and fired them up with a battery. Was hard to keep bike running because it would stall at idle. Also wouldn't rev past about 6,000 RPM and it had very delayed throttle response time. It was really choppy in the what is now considered "high rpm." tried going for a short test ride on it in the neighborhood. Got the bike rolling to about 10 mph and wouldn't go any faster. Saw the rpms going down as well as speed so tried to give it more gas then it stalled out. Bike wouldn't fire back up after that. It would pop when trying to start up but just wouldn't fire all the way up.

Last edited by hellofriends; 07-24-20 at 21:35.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-24-20, 23:32
Renboy

Garage
Pinched gas line.

The sooner you introduce motorcycles into your children's lives, the less likely they'll have money for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes as teenagers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement