Triumph 675 Forums banner

Finding parts and head mods

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  samwise_i 
#1 ·
I will be working with a 2012 motor, I should receive it tomorrow. Have been looking for some race parts, I know the Triumph kit parts are no longer made but is there anywhere I can look to find some things like cams and a detent wheel? Are there any aftermarket options for the detent wheels? Head gaskets? I was able to find one 0.60mm gasket from a builder who had it laying around but that's the only luck I've had.

I was told by second 675 builder it is safe to skim 0.013" off the head. I have not received the motor yet and have not measured the squish or piston to valve clearances but he seemed to think the heads are conservative enough from the factory to use the thinner gasket and take 0.013" off without worrying about the clearances. The first guy I talked to said hypothetically if you use the 0.1mm thinner gasket and take off 0.010" off the head there would be no piston to valve clearance issues and it would retard the cam timing exactly 1.25 degrees. He said he would not worry about adjusting the cams for this.

My question is whether these offhand comments are consistent with what you guys know of these engines. If I were to measure the squish and piston to valve clearances to make sure, what clearances are acceptable anyway? If I were to just skim the head, use the gasket and not measure the clearances or adjust the cams, is this really safe? I'm not worried about a few horsepower when I tune it but if there is a significant amount of improvement i can make by taking more off the head and degreeing the cams I will want to do that. The problem is I don't know what squish and PTV clearances are acceptable, or what degrees to set the cams to. Easy sounds good but I don't want to hold the power back more then necessary.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.