Triumph 675 Forums banner

Engine stands?

13K views 52 replies 15 participants last post by  Thomas675 
#1 ·
Reroll's teardown thread and MGFChapin's awesome response got me thinking about engine stands. I've seen some universal stands for sale online and was wondering if anyone had one that worked for the 675 / 765 motors. (verses getting creative welding up some tubing / wood etc).

Cheers,
Mike

#2 · (Edited)
I've been barking up that tree for years. If we don't get an answer, we need to find someone with a loose spare motor and get a few stands welded up.

I have a stand from Tyga that I absolutely love, for my NSR250. Something similar for the 675 would be so much better in the shop than wood blocks. We just need dimensions for the engine mounts and I can ask a few different local welders for quotes.

Attachments

#3 ·
I'd get in on that for sure! (c'mon welders on the forum)

I was looking at this one:

I like that it allows you to rotate the motor around but really I just want something like the Tyga. (also not sure if the one above would mount up to a 675.)

#6 ·
Following this thread because I've been interesting in finding or designing a stand. This became a "thing" over the last year as I helped a friend tear down 3 D675 motors. :) I generally like the idea of something that is adjustable so it can be used on multiple motors.

I've seen that rotisserie-style before but it looks a bit too hokey to me.

My friend and I were thinking about designs which would bolt up to an automotive engine stands to leverage the rotating function. I was also thinking of designing it in a way that it could still function as a regular bench stand..it would just have the provision of bolting to the standard engine mount plate.

The one MGFChapin posted is in the direction I was thinking; I like the fact that the design could accommodate rear mounts with different fore/aft locations. But height and width are also something I'd want to address. For the first: I think using a joint on the frame-side attachment (instead of the threaded rod straight thru the box tube) would allow for a range of rear engine mount heights. Similarly, a heim joint on both ends would give a bit of width adjustment. I feel the adjustable support arms width is important because they should attach as close to the motor as possible.

#8 · (Edited)
Ended up breaking down and ordering this one from K&L Supply. Amazon had it for 200 bucks (which yeah, is pricey but better than having a spare factory race engine laying around on the floor)

Pros: Well made and I like that you can rotate the motor to work on it. Can be used for multiple engine designs.
Cons: It was a royal pain in the a** to get up on the stand. I set the motor on some blocks of wood and leveraged it up. Sure would have been nice to have an extra set of hands. Secondly, not sure how much I trust the motor being supported from only the bottom. (Lets see how much weight that long rear stock bolt can handle before it snaps. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

(photo for demonstration - I'm NOT leaving it like this)

I would STILL love a stand like the one MGFCHAPIN posted (and continue to use this one for engine servicing) -wink wink- c'mon Paul, hook a brother up! :p

#13 ·
Curious as to what people in general would want the stand for, working on or storage, or both?

Tenkate do a really neat storage and transport stand but it's only for CBR's and R6 yams with some modification, don't know if it'd work with a daytona with mods?

A stand similar to that but that held the engine via the rear lower mount and rested somewhere towards the front lower of the engine, so you could use it to store the engine and also work on it, leaving just the lower crankcase half in the stand would be kinda neat

Attachments

#15 ·
We made a couple stands in 2014 for our spare motors. We just used 1" square tube and welded some tabs for the rear motor mounts. The benefit of this over the K and L stand (which we also have) is that you can remove the head or work on the motor while it's still on the stand.

Yeah this immediately crossed my mind after I had the motor in the K&L. It would be fine if I was merely looking to display the motors but I need something solid so I can service them. We just need to get someone to cook up a run of stands like TJ's above.

#24 ·
OK, I had some time to check fitment. Hole spacing was a little off so I just drilled bigger and bigger until I could fit and get a better measurement.

Design comments are welcome. My initial goal here was to get a rough idea of clearance around the clutch cover. I will probably extend the legs a bit longer but needed something to go off of. My idea is there could be different setups for the stand. If you wanted just the uprights you could get those and use angle iron for the legs and bolt it to a table. You could even bolt the uprights directly to a block of wood. I can make legs and cross braces as well. Just depends what the end user wants. I don't use an engine stand often so when it's not in use, I prefer to be able to collapse it and slide it out of the way. It is sitting under its own weight in the photos. The strap is there as a backup cause no one wants a broken motor on a test fit!

#25 ·
I'm digging it. I like how you designed it to be scaleable to the individual's needs / use.

Personally, I'll want mine with slightly longer legs and cross braces while keeping the ability to unbolt and store the whole thing.

Awesome work, Nathan!!!

#29 ·
ok, back again with round two. Sorry it took longer than expected. We are crazy busy at the moment and I wanted to do things up right on this.

The legs are longer by 2" and the holes are in the right spot for the motor mounts so no extra drilling. The cross braces have a shoulder that plugs into the sides and then bolts tight. The bolts that hold the sides to the legs have threaded inserts for a cleaner look. It's about 9" wide and very stable. Could use a few spacers in back with the engine bolts but overall I would say this is good to go!

Pricewise I was thinking $110 shipped. Stand would also be powdercoated. Warranty would be if anything on the stand breaks or strips I'll send you a replacement part.

#53 ·
@Thatkid: Sorry, but is there another way to contact you than through the forum about the engine stands?
Just joined the forum and I am trying to contact you via "direct conversation" and via "Message Seller" on your recent post, but for some reason I'm getting refused by the site (something about privileges and not completing the "Gotcha" test).