helmet hook - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #11 of 25 Old 05-12-16, 22:19
Glocken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisertn View Post
Quite honestly if someone is likely to mess with my helmet I believe they're likely to do other things to my bike. Just like the Internet, I simply don't go to places that make me worry about such things. Not a foolproof approach I know, but life's too short to worry about such things (imho).
Doesn't have to be vandalism, some people just have no respect for other peoples property. I've caught people just throw a leg over like it's theirs and even put their child on it.

if a random person doing that doesn't piss me off enough (or others) having someone kick my helmet or scratch it wouldn't be any better. even the possibility of bird shitting on the helmet and somehow making having it land/drip into the interior is something I'd ocd worry about.

rather carry it with me and use it as a murse.

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 05-12-16, 23:05
Tbone675

Garage
I did it the cheap way. I pulled a battery tray bolt and installed a longer one. Then I got a cable at the hardware store and put a loop on each end. I run the cable through my helmet and jacket and put both loops over the longer battery tray bolt and snap the seat on. Cheap easy and just as effective.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-13-16, 00:48
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
I've seen helmets walk off right in front of the owners. They turned their backs looked back and the helmet was gone. I've also had customers had their straps cut and the helmet stolen. If you live where you have a helmet law then people have incentive to steal your helmet. Likewise if you live where you have a helmet law and your helmet is stolen you're screwed with no way home. I'll leave my riding gear draped over my bike but I'd never ever leave my helmet.

post #14 of 25 Old 05-13-16, 08:49
kisertn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
...If you live where you have a helmet law then people have incentive to steal your helmet...
To be fully forthcoming, when I purchased my bike and gear early last year I did think about all of this. And to some degree, I do practice what you all are saying.

I commute every day to a train station and then to another city. I leave my bike at the train station. I am a believer in ATGATT. I ended up purchasing a Wolfmann Mini-Beta tail bag which is something like 60 liters in volume (not sure of my numbers but, it is big). When I get to the train station I take off my overpants, and my jacket and put them in the tail bag. I first take out of the tail bag a bike cover. Long story shorter: when I walk away from that bike I have left, hanging on it, approximately $2,100 worth (retail price)of gear (helmet, gloves, bike cover, tail bag, overpants, and jacket) that can easily be removed. Yeah, it bugged me for a awhile. I think what makes the difference in this case however is that I cover it all over with the bike cover (that's what I tell myself anyway).

And here is where I see my actions aligning with your thinking: On the weekends when I go on rides I can't see myself parking just anywhere with a tail bag and my riding gear in it. I believe my gear would disappear. So, instead, I rationalize wearing only jeans for lower-body coverage (I do wear my jacket all the time). In this way I don't bring the tail bag, or bike cover. But, I do still attach my helmet and put my gloves in the helmet. And yes, I have a Corsair X and a pair of nice Dainese gloves - so it's ~$1,100 just sitting there for someone to snip off.

When I first acquired my bike I worried a LOT about it being stolen. I saw a few quotes from folks who said "don't worry about alarms, disc locks, chains, covers, etc. Just ride and let insurance handle any eventualities". That didn't sit too well with me but, after a awhile, I decided life was just too short to worry about all of this. Like on the Internet, I try to avoid sketchy places, and I'll let insurance take care of the rest. The only things I do proactively are to lock my helmet to the bike (and yes I realize a pair of scissors undoes that) and to put on a disc lock. I do both of these because they are quick and easy.

So, this is a long winded way of saying - I hear you - I don't disagree with you - but to actively worry about all of this is just something I have decided not to do. I will passively alter my patterns and avoid certain neighborhoods: be 'smart' about where I ride and park. But I just don't want to be in this constant state of worry; a state I feel I would always be in if I were trucking my gear around when I got off the bike.

2 things: theft in the area I am in is not particularly elevated and yes, I live in a place that has no helmet law. If those two metrics were otherwise, I'd likely change my tune.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-13-16, 13:19
2PumpChump

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson View Post
I carry my $500 helmet (along with it's $150 photochromic visor and $150 Bluetooth headset) with me where ever I go
I have a cheaper solution - I have cheap gear. My helmet is in the vicinity of $100 and I use earphones instead of a bluetooth helmet (much better sound for in-ear pieces, and the microphone is not bad for under 50mph - over that speed, people can hear me, but Siri can't) which stay with me when I get off the bike. Like another poster said, I'm more worried about what they would do to my bike than what they would do to my helmet. It really is burdensome for me to carry it. I lock it to the passenger peg with a gun lock that looks much like that helmet lock from Amazon. It's not foolproof because A) someone could vandalize it and B) someone who is VERY persistent could break up the bike bad enough to expose the bolt that holds the passenger peg, unscrew it and leave with my helmet, and C) someone could use bolt cutters to cut the gun lock and take the helmet.

HOWEVER, if I took ALL of that into consideration and let it worry me, I'd never go anywhere on my bike where I would have to park it, and that seems counter-productive to me. Like those people who have classic cars in their garage but are too afraid to drive them because they don't want to scratch them. Kind of defeats the purpose of having one, don't you think?

I do have to say, I've been looking all over for a cheap helmet that a photochromic visor would fit on and have not had any luck. Most of the ones I've found are Bell and I'm not a fan of theirs (the shape isn't a good fit for my head nor do I like the look).
post #16 of 25 Old 05-13-16, 18:53
nelson
BOTM Winner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PumpChump View Post
I have a cheaper solution - I have cheap gear. My helmet is in the vicinity of $100 and I use earphones instead of a bluetooth helmet (much better sound for in-ear pieces, and the microphone is not bad for under 50mph - over that speed, people can hear me, but Siri can't) which stay with me when I get off the bike. Like another poster said, I'm more worried about what they would do to my bike than what they would do to my helmet. It really is burdensome for me to carry it. I lock it to the passenger peg with a gun lock that looks much like that helmet lock from Amazon. It's not foolproof because A) someone could vandalize it and B) someone who is VERY persistent could break up the bike bad enough to expose the bolt that holds the passenger peg, unscrew it and leave with my helmet, and C) someone could use bolt cutters to cut the gun lock and take the helmet.

HOWEVER, if I took ALL of that into consideration and let it worry me, I'd never go anywhere on my bike where I would have to park it, and that seems counter-productive to me. Like those people who have classic cars in their garage but are too afraid to drive them because they don't want to scratch them. Kind of defeats the purpose of having one, don't you think?

I do have to say, I've been looking all over for a cheap helmet that a photochromic visor would fit on and have not had any luck. Most of the ones I've found are Bell and I'm not a fan of theirs (the shape isn't a good fit for my head nor do I like the look).
Taking my helmet with me isn't a problem or an inconvenience at all, so I don't need a cheap solution. It's free. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Honestly, the only places I would be concerned about my helmet being stolen is where other riders gather, like when I am making a pitstop at the Rock Store or at Neptune's Net. A motorcycle helmet has little value to folks who don't ride.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-13-16, 20:07
Glocken

Quote:

Honestly, the only places I would be concerned about my helmet being stolen is where other riders gather, like when I am making a pitstop at the Rock Store or at Neptune's Net. A motorcycle helmet has little value to folks who don't ride.
you'd be surprised, some people are just dickheads.

a neighbor stole my package and denied it when UPS said they delivered it to that address. what was inside? a back protector; the neighbor is in her 60s+.

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder
post #18 of 25 Old 05-15-16, 11:04
Darkness14

At first I started to take my gear with me everywhere I went especially since I had a motorcycle backpack that had a net on it so I could strap it down as I am walking through the mall or something. Just had the fear of having it stolen and then having to replace it. Last summer I had my Kawi 300 outside covered with a motorcycle cover and some douchebag college kids stole it right off the bike. Yea I was absolutely pissed about it but I was more pissed about someone touching/messing with my bike more so than anything.

I have a Bluetooth system on my helmet as well but frankly I just disconnect the unit and carry that with me cause that's a bulk of the price of the kit and my helmet was decent priced along with my jacket. I am at the point now that I just don't care so much about my gear cause taking it with me sometimes is an inconvenience like if I went to the movies or something, it was a little hard to put helmets and jackets somewhere.

I believe in ATGATT, but I believe more so in opening up a can of whoop-ass if someone messes with my bike. All the security measures we take are just deterrants for others to slow down their theft, if someone wants your stuff they will figure it out one way or another..... Just simply Murphy's law, haha

I'm still going to invest in a few items but I'm not going to go over board, bike comes first then everything else follows

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #19 of 25 Old 05-18-16, 15:06
krennman

Quote:
I carry my $500 helmet (along with it's $150 photochromic visor and $150 Bluetooth headset) with me where ever I go
Same here....no way I am leaving my helmet.
post #20 of 25 Old 05-18-16, 21:22
OddCyl

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbone675 View Post
I did it the cheap way. I pulled a battery tray bolt and installed a longer one. Then I got a cable at the hardware store and put a loop on each end. I run the cable through my helmet and jacket and put both loops over the longer battery tray bolt and snap the seat on. Cheap easy and just as effective.
I think this is the most elegant solution - no visible modifications or locks to be attached. I did this the other day to avoid having to carry my helmet around like the hotdog I am.

I believe its's an m6 type bolt, I chose 1 or 1 1/8" length, used blue loctite and adhesive lined heat shrink on the threads that would be left exposed so as not to marr up helmet clasps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	202250  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement