Who had a 600cc + first bike? - Page 93 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Riding Skills Tips, lessons, experiences, etc. Beginner, intermediate and advanced.

post #921 of 961 Old 05-13-16, 10:42
krennman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBZuki View Post
The new 500 twin from Honda is a nice engine, great on fuel too. Had a 500X loaner for a week or so and it would have been a fantastic commuter/grocery getter (just at the limit for the cheapest insurance bracket here).
Its the perfect motor to learn on and they offer it in the full fairing, naked and touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #922 of 961 Old 05-13-16, 19:54
DanoInTx

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krennman View Post
Its the perfect motor to learn on and they offer it in the full fairing, naked and touring.
I also started on a CBR500R, what a great bike. Bought it brand new, put about 1600miles on it in just a few months, then sold it and bought a 2007 R6R. I modded the crap outa that thing, full exhaust, smog block offs, ECU reflash, PCV, the list goes on and on. Somewhere in there I had an accident (not on bike), tore my biceps tendon loose, torn rotator cuff, torn labrum, again the list goes on. This was my second shoulder surgery, one on each side, and pretty much doomed my chances for putting any real miles on a super sport ever again. Bought a 2014 Striple R with about 550 miles on it for a great price last year and couldn't be happier. I also had a CBR250R for awhile that I bought for my gf, another fun bike and pretty bulletproof. Having now ridden a small range of sport bikes I'm happy with the progression I made. The R6 I feel would have been too much bike when I first started, just not forgiving at all. As for being responsible I don't think that has anything to do with simply too much bike for ones skills.

Dan
post #923 of 961 Old 05-13-16, 20:18
Rockhardfister

My first one was a 2003 CBR 600 F4i, silver and black. Had some fun on that thing!! But it was short lived... Laid it down going at least 75, riding like an idiot. So now here we are, 7 years later, I decided I'd get back on two wheels! I like my D675 way more, it's so much lighter and nimble, much more torque too!

post #924 of 961 Old 05-15-16, 21:13
Eidroedir

I started on a 2003 Cbr600rr. I put 7000kms on it ( all street ) before hitting a deer mid corner earlier this year. I found it okay to start on as long as I kept the rpm's down.. But I also grew up on 2 wheels ( competitive downhill, dirtbikes ) and wouldn't recommend a 600 as a starter bike, especially with all the great new rider friendly options.
But I sure do love my new 675!
post #925 of 961 Old 05-17-16, 23:19
ohemgeeitsNick

my 675 was close to my first bike, I rode probably 500 miles split between a Ninja 250R and a Suzuki gz250. definitely a world of difference, I've always been pretty conservative with things so I took the transition very cautiously and I'm doing my best to enjoy the 675's capabilities without over stepping my boundaries. I don't think I'd recommend most 600 super sports for new riders, especially anyone with less than 4-5 years of driving experience. these bikes just aren't very forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #926 of 961 Old 05-18-16, 09:56
SauRoN

Garage
I think in the modern world of choice going strictly by capacity isn't really helping anything.

You need to talk about kilowatt figures or at least engine types combined with capacity.

A 650cc Parallel Twin like the ER6 series or even 750cc like the NC750 is just fine for a beginner. An inline four cylinder 600cc or 675cc Triple isn't.

It's not impossible, but it does add a considerable learning curve and risk.

I started on a GSX-R600 and even though I could ride already and it wasn't quite a beginner thing, if I had to replay it I wouldn't have gotten that bike first and done something like the ER6N....lower powered and Naked but not stupidly so that you can't tour on it etc.
post #927 of 961 Old 05-18-16, 13:39
stk0308
Race Team Sponsor

My first streetbike, after riding dirtbikes all my life, was a 1971 BMW R60/5, in 1990. 600cc, probably only made about 20 hp. Rode the hell out of it for about 5 years. I commuted on it and I toured on it(IA to AZ the first year!). It took me to college, and to my first corp job. After the 2nd year we figured out to bore it over to 800cc. But, still we're talking old airhead tech, so not that big a HP improvement. I almost miss that bike, sometimes.

Steven
2016 Street Triple R
2008 Sprint ST
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
post #928 of 961 Old 06-08-16, 12:30
Quigs

My first bike was a Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R 636. Had never ridden before in my life on the street. Only dirtbikes everyone once in a while before.

As long as you're smart, respect the power, and have good situational awareness I don't see any reason someone can't start out on a higher cc bike.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quigs For This Useful Post:
RealRecognizeReal (06-10-16)
post #929 of 961 Old 06-10-16, 17:07
RealRecognizeReal

first sportbike was a 2004 Honda CBR 600RR - good times - and then i squided my way up to a 2004 R6
yes, those are spikes. I now embrace my squidiness as a new rider back then lol, we all have been there lmao...

cant find no pics of my ol honda tho...

<===Click here to Like and Follow our Facebook Page

"It's more than a Passion, it's an Obsession"
Professional Motorcycle Road Race Team & Quality Performance Parts Sales

https://hustlehardracing.com/
post #930 of 961 Old 06-13-16, 00:11
pavmentsurfer

My very first bike was a Suzuki Katana 600... that was back in 1999. I only had it for a year and I had to pay for school so I sold it.

I had ridden dirt bikes my entire life and felt like I could handle myself on 2 wheels. But even as a (sell professed) talented off road rider, riding on the road was a whole different deal. Simple things like the riding position and weight of the bike changed the experience entirely.

I feel like, if your going to start on a sport "style" bike, that was a good choice. Power was not intimidating at all, pretty low tech. But still had enough power to pass cars and cruise on the highways. back then, there were very few bikes in the "sport style" 250-500 class. Not anything worth looking at anyway. If I was starting all over again today id definitely look at a CBR 500... or even an R3... maybe the KTM 390... These are great bikes that offer cool style, reasonably aggressive but manageable ergonomics and surprising power.

When I got back into riding 3 years ago it was on a Suzuki Bandit 650...and only because I found one for basically nothing. Great bike really... but things quickly escalated to a Yamaha FZ6R, then a Suzuki SV650S... then an SV1000S and finally... the bike I had dreamed about owing for as long as I can remember... a Daytona.

I just got a buddy into riding and we started out looking for 300-500 bikes. Interestingly enough, the bike he ended up getting (at my suggestion) was an older, but insanely low KM Katana... he paid next to nothing for it. Its been great for him and he's had no trouble learning on it.

I really think the bike you start on should be dictated by the type of person you are. If you know your a calculated and responsible person, you can start on a bigger sport bike because youll be thoughtful about your riding, taking things slow and not letting yourself get out of control. If you know your not capable of handling the responsibility that comes with owing a high performance bike, do yourself a favour and start on something more mellow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement