No spark - Triumph675.Net Forums
Maintenance and repair Problems, fixes, general maintenance talk

post #1 of 15 Old 05-21-19, 19:05 Thread Starter
apiazza

No spark

I was unloading the track bike from the trailer and ended up dropping it on the right side. Didnt think much of it, picked it up, put it away and went on with my day. Came back later, went to fire it up and the starter cranks strong but absolutely to ignition. Not even an attempt.

I pulled the air box found a bit of oil from the crank breather so I thought maybe wet plugs. Pulled them and cleaned them. I grounded the plug to the block to check for spark and had absolutely nothing. I'm guessing the drop rattled something but I just cant figure out what or where. Suggestions to look for? I just resolved the shifting issue and now this. I cant win.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-21-19, 19:42 Thread Starter
apiazza
Threadstarter Threadstarter

For what help it's worth, on the drive home on the highway I was stuck in some pretty heavy rain with the bike on an open trailer so moisture maybe a factor.

post #3 of 15 Old 05-22-19, 04:41
MadMel

Crank position sensor. I'd check to see if it's just come unplugged, but they're complete junk and if you fart too hard while riding it'll break the CPS.

I replaced my third or fourth one this weekend (losing count) after it cost me a DNF in a race. Of course I had a spare stator / CPS,, because eventually you figure out that you will always need one on hand.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-22-19, 06:13 Thread Starter
apiazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
Crank position sensor. I'd check to see if it's just come unplugged, but they're complete junk and if you fart too hard while riding it'll break the CPS.

I replaced my third or fourth one this weekend (losing count) after it cost me a DNF in a race. Of course I had a spare stator / CPS,, because eventually you figure out that you will always need one on hand.
Didnt even think to look there. I'll take a look one night this week. Thanks for the idea.

post #5 of 15 Old 05-22-19, 07:29
MadMel

Don't know if yours is OEM or aftermarket but some of the aftermarket CPS connectors don't latch very well to the harness (or at all, in the case of Caltric). I loop a cable tie around it, between the wires on each end, to hold it together.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-22-19, 09:35 Thread Starter
apiazza

Quote:
Don't know if yours is OEM or aftermarket but some of the aftermarket CPS connectors don't latch very well to the harness (or at all, in the case of Caltric). I loop a cable tie around it, between the wires on each end, to hold it together.
Happen to have a part number? I cant seem to find it in the exploded image diagrams online.

Edit: Disregard I realize now its part of the stator part number. I have a spare donor motor that i will check for good sensor. Do the aftermarket hold up better or should I just use the one I have available?

Last edited by apiazza; 05-22-19 at 10:20.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-22-19, 17:00
MadMel

Forum user Far Canal has recommended this one that you'd have to splice in, which is way cheaper than buying a new stator / CPS. I've ordered a couple of them, but haven't used them yet. Personally, I haven't had great luck with the CPS from either OEM or aftermarket stator / CPS units. If your spare works, might as well use it. But I'd splice a new CPS onto the old one, and bring it to the track in case of emergency. All that is assuming that the CPS is actually the problem with your bike, of course.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222603501414
post #8 of 15 Old 05-22-19, 18:53 Thread Starter
apiazza

Quote:
Forum user Far Canal has recommended this one that you'd have to splice in, which is way cheaper than buying a new stator / CPS. I've ordered a couple of them, but haven't used them yet. Personally, I haven't had great luck with the CPS from either OEM or aftermarket stator / CPS units. If your spare works, might as well use it. But I'd splice a new CPS onto the old one, and bring it to the track in case of emergency. All that is assuming that the CPS is actually the problem with your bike, of course.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222603501414
Put the multimeter to both. One in bike currently clocked about 580,000 ohms. One in spare was about 500 ohms. I'm gonna go ahead and say it's bad lol.

That Ebay sensor is substantially cheaper than the Rick's, even for just the sensor...by a lot. Rick's wants $75.

post #9 of 15 Old 05-22-19, 20:03
MadMel

Haha, yeah that ain't good. With respect to the second CPS, normal impedance is about 220 ohms, so they might both be pooched.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-22-19, 21:55 Thread Starter
apiazza

I'll confirm it again, but I'll probably take your advice and order a couple CPS and replace. I have a little bit before my gasket shows up anyway.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement