Full Slip-On vs Muffler only - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 17 Old 05-02-19, 08:14 Thread Starter
Magnum Maximum

Full Slip-On vs Muffler only

I was looking at getting a GP1R from Austin Racing for my 2017 Daytona 675R. It goes for over $900 on AR's website for the whole slip-on. However, I noticed on Aliexpress that they sell just the muffler for only $23. Is that just a knock off clone of the GP1R, or is it the actual muffler and that's how much it actually goes for without the pipe? If that's the case, what would be the down side of buying just the muffler and installing it on the factory pipe, or just having a shop install it on a new pipe that they have? It might sound dumb to experienced folks here, but this is the first time I've ever ventured into doing something like this and don't know the common sense issues involving it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-02-19, 09:24
AYoDread

You are not dumb nor does it sound dumb. It's better to ask rather than waste your money and time on something that doesnt work for you.

What are you looking for just sound or performance?

The slip on will give you a good sound and more performance. The muffler us just for sound only

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
post #3 of 17 Old 05-02-19, 10:19
Glocken

whats a full slip on

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Cyclecat clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton|CF tank sliders|Dave Moss Techspecs|Evo Tech Sharkfin|Sato Shift Spindle holder

post #4 of 17 Old 05-02-19, 17:00 Thread Starter
Magnum Maximum
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYoDread View Post
You are not dumb nor does it sound dumb. It's better to ask rather than waste your money and time on something that doesnt work for you.

The slip on will give you a good sound and more performance. The muffler us just for sound only
Primarily just sound for right now. I don't race because I lack the skill, and there aren't any decent tracks in the area outside of the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana. I commute through L.A. traffic, so I really need it for the sound so others can hear me.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-02-19, 17:35
Kevin7909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Maximum View Post
Quote:

Primarily just sound for right now. I don't race because I lack the skill, and there aren't any decent tracks in the area outside of the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana. I commute through L.A. traffic, so I really need it for the sound so others can hear me.
If you want it so people can hear you in traffic don't waste your money. It won't make any difference to a car in front of you and cars beside/behind you are just gonna be annoyed (or worse). It's very loud and will likely hurt your ears if you don't wear hearing protection.

I don't think the slip on with stock headers/cat will add noticeable power. Headers will add power if the fuelling is setup properly, and when mated with a slipon the entire exhaust system is lighter than oem.

However, if you want it because it's cool then by all means go for it. You should be able to have an exhaust shop build you a mount.
post #6 of 17 Old 05-02-19, 17:38
Kevin7909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocken View Post
whats a full slip on
The Austin Racing mufflers are optioned with different length pipes and exhaust cans. They can be further broken down into carbon fiber, etc.. they sell the slipon in sections. You can buy a full system for X amount or various parts separately if you email them. So a full system for a gp2r is 4 pieces. I believe a gp1r is 3 pieces since it sits much lower than a gp2r iirc.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-02-19, 17:42
MGFChapin

Garage
Quote:
there aren't any decent tracks in the area outside of the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana
1. Autoclub Speedway
2. Buttonwillow Raceway Park (Buttonwillow, CA)
3. Willow Springs (Lancaster, CA)
4. Streets of Willow Springs (Lancaster, CA)
5. Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (Desert Center, CA, 2 tracks if you count going backwards)
6. Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Vegas, NV)
7. Spring Mountain Motor Resort (Pahrump NV)

All the CA tracks are less than 3 hours from you, and the NV tracks are only 4-5 depending on traffic. If you're willing to drive a little further you've got Laguna Seca, Sonoma and Thunderhill in NorCal. That's a shit-ton of tracks in your area. You don't need to race, just do some track days, and you will GAIN the skill to appreciate a full exhaust. Nobody sane starts racing because they think they're the best and they're going to win it all.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-02-19, 18:39 Thread Starter
Magnum Maximum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Quote:
there aren't any decent tracks in the area outside of the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana
1. Autoclub Speedway
2. Buttonwillow Raceway Park (Buttonwillow, CA)
3. Willow Springs (Lancaster, CA)
4. Streets of Willow Springs (Lancaster, CA)
5. Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (Desert Center, CA, 2 tracks if you count going backwards)
6. Las Vegas Motor Speedway (Vegas, NV)
7. Spring Mountain Motor Resort (Pahrump NV)

All the CA tracks are less than 3 hours from you, and the NV tracks are only 4-5 depending on traffic. If you're willing to drive a little further you've got Laguna Seca, Sonoma and Thunderhill in NorCal. That's a shit-ton of tracks in your area. You don't need to race, just do some track days, and you will GAIN the skill to appreciate a full exhaust. Nobody sane starts racing because they think they're the best and they're going to win it all.
I should also add that the wife isn't fond of me engaging in something that increases risk to myself. Lol.

I'll need to get a truck to haul my bike to those locations. I only have a two door car and the wife has a RAV4.

I e-mailed Austin Racing about the price for just the muffler. Will I need to get a Power Commander if I only install the muffler?
post #9 of 17 Old 05-03-19, 10:16
AYoDread

Quote:
Quote:

That's easy then, i would get the muffler that looks best in your opinion.

What test I've done, bikes can be heard below 50mph on main Roads. On Highway sound seems to travel behind you. When my girl passed me up, I didn't hear her until she was at my left front fender. At idle at a light I was aware there was a bike around me,so it put me on alert. Also in highway traffic I heard her
so yes a slip on does help, but not by much, lights seem to work the best in my opinion.

The downside is loud exhaust attract cops, it makes it sound like you are going faster than what you really are. Also other bikes m might wander to race you.

"I don't know who you noobs are. I don't know what you noobs want. If you are looking for attention, I can tell you I don't have a long span. But, what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very large amount of posts. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop this now, that'll be the end of it. I will not Google you, I will not photochop you. But if you don't, I will search the webnets for you, I will find you, and I will pwn you."
post #10 of 17 Old 05-03-19, 10:22 Thread Starter
Magnum Maximum

So, Austin Racing replied back and said that the ones on Aliexpress are Chinese knockoffs and they're in the process of taking legal action against them. They also don't sell the cans separately. So I will have to get the entire slip-on system. Not sure if I want to spend over $800 for a slip-on when for the same amount, if not less, I can get a full system from Hindle. Might look at Racefit or SC Project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement