06-08 Daytona 675 Performance Parts - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 18 Old 11-12-18, 03:31 Thread Starter
SoCal675Triple

Garage
06-08 Daytona 675 Performance Parts

Hey 675 gang, looking for some serious mods for my 2008 Daytona 675. I'm looking to build my 675 into a beast. I'm looking for the following:
1- Performance Camshafts
2- Carbon Fiber gas tank / Subframe
3 -Titanium Axels
4- Big bore/ stroker kit
5- Full titanium exhaust

I'm having alot of trouble finding parts for this bike. Had a 636 previously and finding parts was relatively easy. Thanks ahead of time !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-12-18, 13:05
MGFChapin

Garage
1. Triumph race kit cams are no longer available, but @UK_Race_Support offer a cam reprofiling service at a reasonable price. I'm sending my exhaust cam to them in the next couple weeks. https://ukracesupport.com/collection...filing-2006-16

2. Make it yourself, or pay someone to make you a one-off tank (it will probably leak though). You're better off putting the money into carbon wheels. Same deal with the subframe. Motoholders make a lighter aluminum subframe but I have yet to see a carbon one available to the public.

3. Do you have experience with this? They're not worth it. Minimal weight savings, very expensive and they fatigue much faster than steel. You'd have to monitor them closely and replace them regularly. Again, carbon wheels are the better choice. If you insist though, here's your guy: http://www.ti64.co.uk/

4. Talk to JD: https://www.hordpower.com/

5. Akrapovic or Arrow, neither is available new anymore. Scour the classifieds and eBay.
The Following User Says Thank You to MGFChapin For This Useful Post:
SoCal675Triple (11-15-18)
post #3 of 18 Old 11-12-18, 13:45
cdenley

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal675Triple View Post
5- Full titanium exhaust
I'll be avoiding titanium exhaust. I found a stainless steel Akra system I'll be installing this winter to replace the Arrow Ti one, because the header keeps cracking. I'd sell it to you cheap, but the exhaust ports are different for 09-12.

Chris Denley
CCS Midwest Amateur #212
fb.me/DenleyRacing
The Following User Says Thank You to cdenley For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 18 Old 11-12-18, 16:29 Thread Starter
SoCal675Triple
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Parts

Thanks for the replies. I have found a GPR Triple Thunder Exhaust that looks very unique but I have never heard of/ or seen this exhaust, so I don't know about its quality or performance gains. I will check with Hord Power on the stroker/big bore kits. And yes it's really unfortunate that MDI Performance was making CF gas tanks but their mold broke and they discontinued them. Thanks for the responses so far! Who makes a good light-weight wheel that isn't ridiculously expensive? I want CF wheels but it partly worries me about how well they will hold up, I ride pretty hard so I don't want to have one break on me while I'm ripping it.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-12-18, 16:35 Thread Starter
SoCal675Triple

Garage
Also why did your titanium Arrow headers keep cracking? Thats odd. Arrow is a good company so it seems odd for sure....
post #6 of 18 Old 11-12-18, 17:46
MGFChapin

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I have found a GPR Triple Thunder Exhaust that looks very unique but I have never heard of/ or seen this exhaust, so I don't know about its quality or performance gains...Who makes a good light-weight wheel that isn't ridiculously expensive? I want CF wheels but it partly worries me about how well they will hold up, I ride pretty hard so I don't want to have one break on me while I'm ripping it.
GPR's claim to fame is they're one of the first systems to market when a new bike comes out. They are heavier than most other aftermarket systems and won't get you the same power gain as an Arrow or Akra.

BST, Dymag and Rotobox all make carbon wheels for your bike. Prices are $3000 and under. If you're prepared to buy all the other stuff you listed but you think carbon wheels aren't worth it, you're doing it wrong. How do you "ride pretty hard?" Do you take your bike off sweet jumps? If you manage to damage a carbon wheel, the OEM aluminum wheel would've taco'd even sooner.

Quote:
Also why did your titanium Arrow headers keep cracking? Thats odd. Arrow is a good company so it seems odd for sure....
They are very thin race-spec titanium and are considered a wear item. Even the stock stainless headers will crack though if you abuse your bike or let them get rusty.
post #7 of 18 Old 11-12-18, 23:12 Thread Starter
SoCal675Triple

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
GPR's claim to fame is they're one of the first systems to market when a new bike comes out. They are heavier than most other aftermarket systems and won't get you the same power gain as an Arrow or Akra.

BST, Dymag and Rotobox all make carbon wheels for your bike. Prices are $3000 and under. If you're prepared to buy all the other stuff you listed but you think carbon wheels aren't worth it, you're doing it wrong. How do you "ride pretty hard?" Do you take your bike off sweet jumps? If you manage to damage a carbon wheel, the OEM aluminum wheel would've taco'd even sooner.

They are very thin race-spec titanium and are considered a wear item. Even the stock stainless headers will crack though if you abuse your bike or let them get rusty.
Oh damn that sucks about the arrow exhaust. Yea I guess you have to make compromises. I found a used one however so I might pull the trigger as I cannot find any other ones.

But NO I was not insinuating that Carbon wheels are not worth it, they undoubtedly would be the best upgrade, I just cannot spend that kind of money atm.

Appreciate the reply but could do without the sarcasm. By ride it hard I mean I wheelie this thing many times a day. I normally am pretty smooth but occasionally come down a little harder than expected, I donno if carbon wheels could withstand that? As for sweet jumps it sounds fun but no. lol
post #8 of 18 Old 11-12-18, 23:16 Thread Starter
SoCal675Triple

Garage
I see your point about spending a lot of money and not being ready to purchase carbon wheels. I'm just trying to source these parts and purchase them on a CAN AFFORD basis hahaha. I found a carbon tank for 900, camshafts I was hoping wouldn't be more than 1,500, and I was going to purchase these step by step, no doubt I want carbon wheels but at 3K or more just can't wing it right now unless I find a used pair....
post #9 of 18 Old 11-12-18, 23:52
MGFChapin

Garage
All wheelies will do is pop your fork seals and wear your headstock bearings. The wheels are up to it. You could buy one at a time.

My response is about the least sarcastic you’ll get on here. I mean this in the nicest way possible - you’re on a budget but wanting these big ticket items. Why not just start off with a platform better suited to your riding style, like a GSXR 750 or a literbike? Dumping a bunch of money into a 10 year old 675 seems to me like polishing a turd.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-13-18, 00:22 Thread Starter
SoCal675Triple

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
All wheelies will do is pop your fork seals and wear your headstock bearings. The wheels are up to it. You could buy one at a time.

My response is about the least sarcastic you’ll get on here. I mean this in the nicest way possible - you’re on a budget but wanting these big ticket items. Why not just start off with a platform better suited to your riding style, like a GSXR 750 or a literbike? Dumping a bunch of money into a 10 year old 675 seems to me like polishing a turd.
Ok I hear ya, I have already had a gixxer 750 its a nice bike, but I also have an S1000RR so theres that. I have the 675 as my technical bike and daily driver (rider?). As far as a 750 they are nice but also heavy and not as fast as literbikes. And being that I already have a heavier literbike I want a very light, flickable and controllable bike that I can practice wheelies on, have fun canyon carving, and do a couple track days, etc..
From what I hear the Triples are pretty reliable, parts cost/ availability aside, I also have tuneECU on my cellphone and the cable so I can diagnose problems really easily. Overall I hear ya about polishing a turd and to each his own, but my goal is to have an Ultra-light middle-weight bike with a little more top-end HP than it has now, thats basically it. I also have had a couple 636s and coming from them this bike seriously lacks top-end power.

Last edited by SoCal675Triple; 11-13-18 at 01:11.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement