Rain tire sizes - Page 2 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Tire Tech For all discussions related to your Tires and what you are running.

post #11 of 14 Old 04-30-18, 16:33
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligaz675 View Post
They used 100% Carbon Black on the shoulders of both the front and rear for track riding.
100% silica in the center of the front tyre.
75% Silica and 25% Carbon Black in the center of the rear tyre for longevity.
100% Silica in the zone between center and the shoulder. (For canyon riding ;) )

PIRELLI DIABLO ROSSO CORSA II - technical details video

So I think Rosso Corsa 2 is what you've been looking for too buddy ;)
The Previous Rosso Corsa was purely carbon black and that's why I didn't consider them. So obviously they diversified the "MkII" with the introduction of silica in the center zones. I've done some reading and silica is excellent for wet and cold. Carbon black offers superior "hysteresis" however, which is the key factor in dry grip. I'll look into those tyres more. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGFChapin View Post
Probably closer to scenario 2, although it also depends on ambient temps, as well as tire temps. Race tires have zero grip when they're cold, even if it's 40C out. If you use tire warmers, they still have phenomenal dry grip even if the track is freezing cold. Road tires have a very flat grip curve regardless of temperature, but max grip will be lower as you've already figured out. If you plan to never ride on the track in the rain, a "hypersport" tire is probably the way to go - S21, M7RR etc. They're nearly sticky enough for an expert race pace, but they'll still get you home if you get caught out in the rain.
That's what I thought out of my educated guessing. Thanks a lot. From what I read above though I'd be tempted to try the Road 5s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 05-01-18, 09:03
Hooligaz675

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
The Previous Rosso Corsa was purely carbon black and that's why I didn't consider them. So obviously they diversified the "MkII" with the introduction of silica in the center zones. I've done some reading and silica is excellent for wet and cold. Carbon black offers superior "hysteresis" however, which is the key factor in dry grip. I'll look into those tyres more. Thanks..
Previous Rosso Corsa was also multi compound; 2 different compounds in the rear or as the Pirelli marketing calls it 3 Zone Compound (vs the 3 different compounds or the 5 Zone Compound found on the new Rosso Corsa II rear). I went thru 2 sets of Rosso Corsas, and my main issue with the rear was that the center didn't last long, and started becoming flat after even after 1k km of commuting. The wet performance of the Rosso Corsa was nothing like the Pilot Road 4 (or even the Road 3), so had to go thru the trouble of switching over to the Pilot Road 4 tires in November 'till April or May. Pirelli seems to finally address especially the longevity of the center of the rear issue with the new Rosso Corsa II, and since it's street and track tire, I'm planning to get it soon. But only because I'm planning to do occasional track days too.

Since you're not planning to do any track days, and looking for street tires, if the dry grip of the Pilot Road 5 is anything like the Michelin rep said to MGFChapin, then I'd say it will be just an amazing year-around riding tire. The Road 4's wet performance was phenomenal, and I saw in multiple reviews that even a worn out Road 5 performs better than a brand new Road 4s. Also the profile of the Road 5 is more aggressive, with improved carcass stiffness in the rear than the Road 4. 100% silica in the front and multiple compounds in the rear, it seems like the best year-around tires better suited for your needs. So long story short, the more I think about it, you should look in to the Pilot Road 5 more. And if I can make it to Serres this month, then maybe we'll test both the Rosso Corsa II and Road 5 together both on the track and on your beautiful canyon roads around Thessaloniki ;)

- Do Not OpenNo User Serviceable Parts Inside ! -

Street Triple 2015 to custom RX with Daytona 675R front-end (aka Hooligaz RS Build)
post #13 of 14 Old 05-01-18, 15:05
Plasmablaster

Garage
Quote:
Previous Rosso Corsa was also multi compound;
Yes but maybe the zones were the same chemical mix & differently vulcanized which I had the idea was the main way to produce different compound zones on tyres. Having zones consist of different chemical precursor mixes is something I've never heard of before. Might be completely wrong of course.

Quote:
Since you're not planning to do any track days, and looking for street tires, if the dry grip of the Pilot Road 5 is anything like the Michelin rep said to MGFChapin, then I'd say it will be just an amazing year-around riding tire. The Road 4's wet performance was phenomenal, and I saw in multiple reviews that even a worn out Road 5 performs better than a brand new Road 4s. Also the profile of the Road 5 is more aggressive, with improved carcass stiffness in the rear than the Road 4. 100% silica in the front and multiple compounds in the rear, it seems like the best year-around tires better suited for your needs. So long story short, the more I think about it, you should look in to the Pilot Road 5 more. And if I can make it to Serres this month, then maybe we'll test both the Rosso Corsa II and Road 5 together both on the track and on your beautiful canyon roads around Thessaloniki ;)
In June I'll undergo some medical examinations and then I'll know for sure if I'll be allowed to re-start track-daying. But still, I'm pretty sure the Pilot 5s will surely be adequate to support the pace I'll be riding at (pretty lame lol). So maybe indeed, I should choose the Pilot 5s, especially since I have to ride the bike year-long for my work obligations.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-02-18, 10:46
Hooligaz675

Garage
Quote:
Yes but maybe the zones were the same chemical mix & differently vulcanized which I had the idea was the main way to produce different compound zones on tyres. Having zones consist of different chemical precursor mixes is something I've never heard of before. Might be completely wrong of course.
Guess the dual compound technology was similar to what you just described ~10 yrs ago. The rear shoulder was Carbon Black with the edges featuring ‘high-dispersion carbon black' and the rest including the center was ‘high-resistance differentiated carbon black’ as per Pirelli marketing lingo. Pirelli describes ‘high-resistance differentiated carbon black’ as new resins and plasticizers for durability and optimum balance between wet and dry grip.

But thanks to technology advancements, apparently manufacturing a road & track rear tire with true Multi-Zone and Multi-Compounds became possible:

Quote:
In June I'll undergo some medical examinations and then I'll know for sure if I'll be allowed to re-start track-daying. But still, I'm pretty sure the Pilot 5s will surely be adequate to support the pace I'll be riding at (pretty lame lol). So maybe indeed, I should choose the Pilot 5s, especially since I have to ride the bike year-long for my work obligations.
I told you to look in to the new Rosso Corsa II because you're a big fan of the M7 RR. But for your needs the new Road 5 or the tried and proved Rosso III seem to be better choices.

- Do Not OpenNo User Serviceable Parts Inside ! -

Street Triple 2015 to custom RX with Daytona 675R front-end (aka Hooligaz RS Build)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement