Gp shifting newb - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 26 Old 04-29-20, 14:49 Thread Starter
Monsterhouse

Gp shifting newb

So I bought this bike last week and it's absolutely beautiful. I converted from Japanese SS, so this is a level of refinement a step up.....but the bike came with a gp shift conversion. It's absolutely embarrassing watching me ride this bike, as if it's the first time I've been on 2 wheels. I want to keep it, and get it feeling natural to me, but I'm wondering if any of you have had this ridiculous experience? How long was the adjustment, how often do you miss now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-29-20, 15:07
TTRIgnitionSystems
Site Sponsor

Put a sticker on your triple clamps - "DOWN to go faster!"

Don't laugh; a LOT of racers do that, especially when they race multiple classes with different bikes.

TTR Ignition Systems - Teaching Old Bikes New Tricks
Shift Sensors - Quick Shift Controllers
North American Distributor for Shifting ContRoll
=> Bolt-on / Plug-in QS kits for Triumph 675/765 US$150
=> Bolt-on / Plug-in Reverse (GP) Shift kit for Triumph 675/765 US$250
post #3 of 26 Old 04-30-20, 07:06
Chirp

At close to 50 yrs riding I would never switch over because I would shift the wrong way in a crucial moment with bad consequences. That's less likely if you have a slipper clutch but still... The only bike I have with a GP shift is the BSA and since the shift is on the right it's less of a problem remembering. Why do you want to keep it that way?

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '18 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R

post #4 of 26 Old 04-30-20, 10:01 Thread Starter
Monsterhouse
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
At close to 50 yrs riding I would never switch over because I would shift the wrong way in a crucial moment with bad consequences. That's less likely if you have a slipper clutch but still... The only bike I have with a GP shift is the BSA and since the shift is on the right it's less of a problem remembering. Why do you want to keep it that way?
it just feels like another thing to get good at I suppose. But at the end of the day, my confidence level on this setup is nowhere near where it should be, and it's been adding another constant variable to the already multitude of things I'm trying to do properly. It takes far more cognitive focus away from what I should be doing to manage at this point, which is why I'm wondering what the learning curve would be. Last thing I'd want is to be exiting a corner, and dropping a gear at 10.5 K...would you know how this setup is configured, as the linkage looks the same from the outside.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-30-20, 12:42
benp

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsterhouse View Post
it just feels like another thing to get good at I suppose. But at the end of the day, my confidence level on this setup is nowhere near where it should be, and it's been adding another constant variable to the already multitude of things I'm trying to do properly. It takes far more cognitive focus away from what I should be doing to manage at this point, which is why I'm wondering what the learning curve would be. Last thing I'd want is to be exiting a corner, and dropping a gear at 10.5 K...would you know how this setup is configured, as the linkage looks the same from the outside.
I definitely understand that point of view - it's why I haven't switched over! I may end up switching someday as I can potentially see there being some small advantage, though...and it would just add a new flavor to things.

As far as I know, a stock bike would need aftermarket rearsets to permit GP shift. My attack performance rearsets are supposedly swappable from standard to GP shift. So, depending on your rearsets that may be an option. Do you have a photo of your shifter and rearset?

2011 Triumph Daytona 675R
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1980 Yamaha XS850
post #6 of 26 Old 04-30-20, 21:19 Thread Starter
Monsterhouse

It looks oem, just missing the heel gaurd. Since I have you... Does this bike come stock with a steering damper attached underneath the yoke? And my front brake res is on this little metal arm, and I'm getting the slightest interference at full lock to the left. What's the point of this setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200430_211033_1588295526453.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	252477   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200430_211519_1588295878823.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	252479   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200430_211539_1588295910692.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	252481  
post #7 of 26 Old 05-02-20, 11:34
Arawn

I don't like GP shift because I'm not used to it. Back in January I highsided at the track and I believe it was because of GP shift... Shifting is automatic, I don't think about it anymore, I just shift; with GP shift I do have to think about it. So I think I shifted into 1st instead of 3rd gear coming out of a corner; don't know for sure as I don't remember anything. That's also the reason I had avoided GP shift for so long, 99% of my riding is on-road with standard shift, so I either had all my street bikes converted to GP shift or stuck with standard shift on the track... But nooo, I had to give it another try...
post #8 of 26 Old 05-03-20, 07:50
Chirp

Quote:
It looks oem, just missing the heel gaurd. Since I have you... Does this bike come stock with a steering damper attached underneath the yoke? And my front brake res is on this little metal arm, and I'm getting the slightest interference at full lock to the left. What's the point of this setup?
I believe if you pull the connector to the shaft and rotate it 180 degrees you will have a standard shift.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '18 Street Triple RS, '20 R1250R
post #9 of 26 Old 05-03-20, 08:10
Chirp

Here you go. Sorry about the rotation. You need to remove the shifter shaft, turn the clamp on the gear change shaft 180 degrees. It looks like you may have to adjust the way the shaft attaches to the clamp and run it through the space in the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1828.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	252527  

post #10 of 26 Old 05-04-20, 16:41 Thread Starter
Monsterhouse

Quote:
Quote:
I believe if you pull the connector to the shaft and rotate it 180 degrees you will have a standard shift.
Quote:
Here you go. Sorry about the rotation. You need to remove the shifter shaft, turn the clamp on the gear change shaft 180 degrees. It looks like you may have to adjust the way the shaft attaches to the clamp and run it through the space in the frame.
Thanks so much for the help guys. Tbh, after a few rides, I absolutely love this set up and I migjt stick with it a while to try and sharpen up. I'm gonna keep this saved in case I change my mind tho. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement