Classified section restriction please help - Page 3 - Triumph675.Net Forums
Triumph675 Site Issues Got ideas on how to improve the site or having problems on the site? We'd like to hear about them.

post #21 of 37 Old 01-15-18, 18:25
Zaph

Honestly, new users should just sell on ebay.

The for sale part of this forum is for actual participating members, and that is part of the built in security. People with friends on the forum and many posts can easily be trusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 Old 01-15-18, 19:53
Smitty9006

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Smitty9006
Sucked back in...

What about new members wanting to buy?

As for selling, I had a NIB Arrow slip on that I sold for $450 on eBay. To me, that was a great deal and someone here could have had 1st dibs.

Whatever....

Have Fun/Ride Safely!
post #23 of 37 Old 01-15-18, 22:30
Shamrock
Mean Green Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
Maybe have a time limit associated with new registrations and not just post count. I know on some forums I do a lot of lurking (actually using the search function and all that) and not a lot of posting. That way a long time lurker isn't penalized for clogging up the forum with drivel. A month seems like a good starting point.

Selling items on forums, especially higher priced items, is much more attractive as a seller since ebay's fees are out of control. They were 10% last I checked. That's not chump change on a $500 suit or exhaust.
Actually there is one. It's 30 days, AND 25 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shamrock For This Useful Post:
Bamboo671 (01-16-18)

post #24 of 37 Old 01-19-18, 02:36
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
What needs to be understood is that the members on this forum are what makes it good. There are quite a few of us that have been on here the better part of a decade and we know each other and trust each other as friends. We do a lot of trading and selling through trust alone. Funds on receipt or pay me when you have money etc.. It’s a forum first and foremost. The classifieds are just there to keep things tidy in the rest of the forum. Yes there has been some bad sales in the past and people get pissed off because there is zero recourse. This is a forum not a sales site with any form of protection. So to protect our members our family we prevent unknowns from doing business on here. People that would before just drop in and sell some junk maybe rip someone off and never come back. That’s not what this site is for. It’s for trading information and making friends with people of similar interest first and foremost 99.99%. If that’s not what your looking for in a forum this probably isn’t the place for you. If getting to know some of the best people on 675s heck on motorcycles period on the Internet and having a great resource for information than this is the place.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacBandit For This Useful Post:
MGFChapin (01-19-18), Shamrock (01-19-18)
post #25 of 37 Old 01-19-18, 09:41
t_bare

Garage
It may be helpful to allow new users to "reply" to a FS Thread. When someone buys their first used 675 the next step is to look for goodies. I know when I bought mine I did extensive searches so I really did not need to ask many questions about 2009 675 because the information is already posted and searchable. My favorite is when someone does ask a question and the responses are "do a search" To a great extent our own attitudes are killing forums. Consider the new owners who came here to join the fray, they are looking to BUY not sell. Limiting the ability to sell sounds likes a good idea but limiting their ability to buy is bad for everyone. We are chasing off new users.

t_bare

Last edited by t_bare; 01-19-18 at 09:58.
post #26 of 37 Old 01-19-18, 10:17
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
post #27 of 37 Old 01-19-18, 10:34
t_bare

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
They can always use private messages.
I got a angrily worded PM and Warning from one of the Mods for making that exact suggestion.
t_bare

post #28 of 37 Old 01-19-18, 11:15
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
I am apparently poor at communicating if you think it was just about that. Although I will apologize I was a tad hard on you. We’ve had a a few people around then that we’re doing everything to circumvent the rules so I drew a line in the sand and made it very clear to anyone doing what you were doing that it wasn’t acceptable. The rules are available and hard to miss right at the top of the forums. Whether you agree with them or not if you want to join this community they should be followed.

It’s seems kind of short sighted to join a forum because it’s seems like a great place but then immediately ignore that forums rules. The rules of a forum are what make it a good place. If you want an example of forums without rules we can all give you examples of forums we don’t like.
post #29 of 37 Old 01-19-18, 12:45
t_bare

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I am apparently poor at communicating if you think it was just about that. Although I will apologize I was a tad hard on you.
You were not the Mod that PM'd me.

I am not interested in perpetuating any negativity. I was sharing my view from the perspective of a newb. You buy a bike, you buy stuff for it, you join forums. If the forums are not welcoming you go away. Forum traffic depletes, advertising dollars wain, forum dies. Facebook is all to happy to pick up the slack but Facebook does not contain the treasure trove of information that can be found in forums so we all have a vested interest in welcoming the newbs, perpetuating the forums and keeping access to the treasure trove of knowledgable posts alive.

t_bare

post #30 of 37 Old 01-19-18, 13:43
Smitty9006

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Smitty9006
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_bare View Post
You were not the Mod that PM'd me.

I am not interested in perpetuating any negativity. I was sharing my view from the perspective of a newb. You buy a bike, you buy stuff for it, you join forums. If the forums are not welcoming you go away. Forum traffic depletes, advertising dollars wain, forum dies. Facebook is all to happy to pick up the slack but Facebook does not contain the treasure trove of information that can be found in forums so we all have a vested interest in welcoming the newbs, perpetuating the forums and keeping access to the treasure trove of knowledgable posts alive.

t_bare
2nd these thoughts.

What would be the downside to letting newbies buy from the classifieds?

Regardless if rules change, I love this site and I hope it remains successful. I'm only trying to make it better from a newbie's perspective.

Have Fun/Ride Safely!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement