Daytona 675 CAN Bus Sniffing - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 39 Old 12-14-14, 15:08 Thread Starter
vincenzo

Daytona 675 CAN Bus Sniffing

I've read some posts on the topic of CAN Bus and Daytona 675 ... haven't really found any thread that would get to any sensible results, so I started from the scratch myself. The goal is to build a data logger for track day (or road) use, and eventually build a replacement instrument panel. I have already built and used a custom GPS / Accelerometer / Gyro / Compass for my Daytona 675 and I'm process of writing software tools around it to analyze and use the collected data.

Highlights:

Daytona 675 2011 - OBD connector under the seat has only K-Line, no CAN bus :-/ I could possibly make an active sniffer that sends K-line OBD requests all the time, but I'd rather avoid that. Also, I don't think we'll see much of K-line on bikes in the future. So I'm investigating the connection between the instrument panel and the ECU, which seems to be using CAN. Got connectors that I could plug between the ECU and the instrument panels (avoiding splicing cables) and sniff the traffic. Just didn't have try this last step out yet.

Daytona 675 2015 - OBD connector under the seat has CAN Bus, but seem to be ignoring OBD commands (at least with engine turned off). There is a bit off traffic on the bus that can be passively read out. Just collected the data today, have to do the analysis.

Is there anyone here who is further than I am on this topic and could possibly advise me on any pitfalls that I might be missing?
And by any chance, does anyone know the addresses & message formats of the CAN bus for any of the Daytonas? I'll ask Triumph otherwise, but I expect an NDA, which would be a little counter productive for making this thing public / open source ...

I'm trying to keep track of the progress at http://onkickstand.com/daytona-hacking/, there is also a bit more detail on what I've done so far in case you are looking for some basic information on CAN / K-Line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 12-14-14, 15:19
Chill

Welcome Vincenzo and good luck

14 Triumph Daytona 675R
2012 Ducati Panigale 1199S
2011 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO Sold
10 Ducati Monster 696 sold
post #3 of 39 Old 12-15-14, 10:26
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
The 675 only uses Can-Bus between the ECU and the instruments.

There are a lot of cell phone apps that will work with a wireless OBD dongle and read out ECU data along with giving you configurable virtual dashes.

post #4 of 39 Old 12-15-14, 16:40 Thread Starter
vincenzo
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
The 675 only uses Can-Bus between the ECU and the instruments.
Yup, that much I know, as I mentioned ... but don't know how to interpret the data on the bus, thus my questions about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
There are a lot of cell phone apps that will work with a wireless OBD dongle and read out ECU data along with giving you configurable virtual dashes.
Yes, there are (Torque, Harry's Lap Timer, ..) and I'm already using those, but that's not what I'm looking for.

You can get some (throttle, RPM, ... ) information from the OBD, but you can't get some of the most interesting stuff (like gear shifts, engaged brakes, ... ). Not to mention that all of it requires polling, while I would prefer real-time that I don't have to specifically request. That's why I would prefer tapping the CAN bus. But my hopes are low that anyone that knows enough about it would publicly share it ;-)

Anyhow, the new Daytona has CAN on the OBD connector, so half of my problems are solved already (big thanks to Hinckley for this new feature!)
post #5 of 39 Old 12-15-14, 21:42
jackshakes

Garage
I have a 2014 and have been searching for options as well. I've been running Harry's Laptimer, but quickly found I can't get OBD2 data from the 13+ models. I hadn't even considered CAN ...

Ironically, I used to work for a UK-based company that does truck-tracking, and had a black box listening to CAN bus. I think my contacts there have dried up, otherwise I could have asked for some help there.

But now that I'm thinking CAN ... I have a few other people I can reach out to.

I could maybe use some help getting connected with a terminal or something if you've already made it that far. I have the GP1 bluetooth OBD2 unit, or the DealerTool USB dongle.

2007 Speedmaster
2014 Daytona 675R
post #6 of 39 Old 12-15-14, 22:47
jackshakes

Garage
I just read through your page and saw you're using the STN1110. I'll look in to that.

One of my friends says he's done some CAN work, so I may try to send him some data files or something to see what he thinks. I'll see what he says.

2007 Speedmaster
2014 Daytona 675R
post #7 of 39 Old 12-16-14, 00:17
MacBandit
Super Moderator

Garage
The CAN Bus on the pre-13 isn't going to carry brake application or any of the other data you're looking for. If it isn't instrument related it's not there. The OBD protocol on the pre-13s is really old and just carries the very basic data. If you want more then that you'll either need the new model or wire in hard connections to each circuit.
post #8 of 39 Old 12-17-14, 06:34 Thread Starter
vincenzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackshakes View Post
... but quickly found I can't get OBD2 data from the 13+ models
That's exactly what I found as well ... the new Daytona seem to be ignoring all the standard OBD PIDs, even the ones that are supposed to just list supported PIDs. Either the delay is too long and the request times out ... or it really doesn't respond. But I'm sure there must be a way to read the data out. I'm sure Triumph uses that connector to do the diagnostic. Might be that one needs to send some data in first to enable the diagnostic ... will have a look if TuneECU or dealer tool is able to get further.

I have the data log from the power up sequence of the 2013+ model (which uses CAN for OBD), I could share that with you. But I think it would need a Triumph specific knowledge to make sense of it.
post #9 of 39 Old 12-19-14, 07:10 Thread Starter
vincenzo

The harness for tapping the CAN bus connection between the instrument panel and the ECU is ready. If there's time I'll try hooking it up today.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3260-2.jpg
Views:	1846
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	143817  
post #10 of 39 Old 12-21-14, 00:36
jackshakes

Garage
Both dealer tool and tune Ecu can read the data now, so it can be done. I contacted dealertool and they confirmed its not standard and said it 'takes some doing' to get the data. They did not sound confident it could be used for data logging.

2007 Speedmaster
2014 Daytona 675R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement