Triumph 675 Forums banner

Stiff Shifting

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  MadMel 
#1 ·
Gear changes on my 2011 D675R racebike have become progressively stiffer over time, to the point where the top of my toe is sore at the end of a day, and neutral is almost impossible to select. I'm running standard shift pattern with Attack Performance rearsets and the stock quickshifter. The quickshifter rod has clearance through the frame and is at a right angle to the arm. I have a Sato shift spindle holder mounted. It's the same oil that I've been using for 5+ years, changed at <500km intervals. I do 6 race weekends plus approximately another 6 track days a year on the bike.

I've owned the bike since new; when I switched to the Attacks a couple of years ago, I noticed that N was a bit harder to find than with the Arrow rearsets I had before, but it's become much worse since then. It's very, very difficult to get the bike into neutral, even when pulling the shifter by hand, it usually takes at least five attempts. From first gear, I have to pull up on the lever very hard, and even when gradually increasing pressure until it finally clicks, it shoots past N from 1st into 2nd, or vice versa in the other direction.

No issues with clutch slippage, and it engages properly near the end of the lever throw when leaving a stop. I'm thinking that years of quickshifter use might be a bit harder on the internals than using a clutch. Are there any parts that are likely to be worn which would cause this behaviour?

See less See more
#4 ·
The shift lever and much of the left rearset is brand new, thanks to a lowside in the last race I did. This problem existed prior to replacing the broken parts.

A bent shift shaft seems like a potential culprit, it would affect shifting along the same lines as MacBandit's suggestion. Though I'd think that the spindle holder should reduce the chances of it happening.

#6 ·
Funny thing is I’ve had the exact same problems (neutral impossible, extremely stuff shifts) on my 13R that has the attack rearsets. Over time it got so difficult to change that the quick shifter wasn’t even functional anymore. I was able to rotate the linkage attach point on the splined output shaft from the transmission over just one tooth and it made everything a lot easier to use, but still not perfect. I won’t be home to look at mine for a while but if you find anything on your end I’d love to hear about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
It seems that the attack rearsets, especially in gp shift, make neutral really hard to find. If you put the main link to the bottom hole it helps a lot but usually contacts the swingarm. I think all the linkage in the rearsets to make it switchable causes binding that is extremely difficult to remove. Maybe make several incremental changes in the linkage to see if you can improve it. I've been fighting the same thing with mine since pulling it all apart.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#10 ·
It seems that the attack rearsets, especially in gp shift, make neutral really hard to find. If you put the main link to the bottom hole it helps a lot but usually contacts the swingarm. I think all the linkage in the rearsets to make it switchable causes binding that is extremely difficult to remove. Maybe make several incremental changes in the linkage to see if you can improve it. I've been fighting the same thing with mine since pulling it all apart.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I did a post on my attack rearset gp shift setup sometime ago to share my findings after some initial pain. Mine is very easy to shift and I have little problem finding neutral. When I put it in the bottom hole I actually had issues because it found neutral while riding. Everything must be at 90 degrees or very close to that or you will have nothing but problems. I can take pics and post again if you like. If so, quote me so I get an email or I might miss it.
Thanks very much, gents! Problem solved. I had the linkage in the top hole of the shifter arm previously, and just now moved it to the 2nd-from-bottom hole. Neutral seems to be at about a normal level of effort to find. I'm racing this weekend, so I'll use the practice day to see if it's now too easy to find, but since I run very short gearing the only time I'm intentionally in first gear is on the grid, so it's less likely to be an issue for me than most.

I was a dumbass and didn't search the forum first, there's a couple of good threads, the point about selecting the correct hole has been made numerous times.

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=147362

https://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3810257#post3810257

#8 ·
I did a post on my attack rearset gp shift setup sometime ago to share my findings after some initial pain. Mine is very easy to shift and I have little problem finding neutral. When I put it in the bottom hole I actually had issues because it found neutral while riding. Everything must be at 90 degrees or very close to that or you will have nothing but problems. I can take pics and post again if you like. If so, quote me so I get an email or I might miss it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.