High Idle ‘14 STR - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-19, 22:12 Thread Starter
Rookie28

Garage
High Idle ‘14 STR

Hello! I’m seeing some strange behavior with my ‘14 STR (54k miles young) and was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience and if it’s even something to be concerned about.

I just did a 6k mile service. Oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs (replaced), throttle bodies balanced, and topping off fluids.

Now when I start up, the bike spikes straight to 2,500rpm for a few secs, then 2k, then after ~30 secs it settles into 1,500ish.

After that, for the next few mins, whenever I come to a stop, the idle hangs at 2k for ~15 secs before settling back to around 1,500rpms again.

Aside from the funky behavior, there are no errors showing on the DealerTool and bike rides smooth as butter through the entire RPM range.

Seems like this has been happening to others after balancing throttle bodies, but no one has received a clear answer on the other forums. Anyone know what’s up?

Video link:
https://youtu.be/0dzbQTgvrAE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rookie28; 06-24-19 at 22:25.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-19, 07:41
Gosling 1

Since you had the air box off to replace the spark plugs, I would have a close look at the rubber boots where the box connects to the throttle bodies. If one of them is not seated properly, you might have air getting in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gosling 1 For This Useful Post:
Rookie28 (06-25-19)
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-19, 19:54
Phicurious86

Garage
Could also be the idle stepper motor. Either gummed up on the stepper arm or going bad. My stepper motor went on my Daytona at about 22k, though in my case the revs were dropping too low rather than too high.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Phicurious86 For This Useful Post:
Rookie28 (06-25-19)

post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-19, 21:49 Thread Starter
Rookie28
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Thanks for the replies!

I just removed the airbox and re assembled making sure that the seals sit correctly. Also visually inspected the stepper motor and dind’t see anything that could be restricting its motion.

Put it all back together and the bike still jumps to 2.5k rpm

I’m trying to do the 12 min adaptation reset to see if it helps, but looking in DealerTool shows “closed throttle adaptation: yes”. Not sure if that means it worked or not

Also something that I did this latest service that may or may not have to do with this. I placed a magnetic tray on top of the airbox when removing its bolts. After, I realized that the tray was sticking to the airbox... it was attaching to what I think is the immobilizer unit that sits inside the airbox. By then it was too late to do anything about it, but is that something that could be causing the odd idle?
@Phicurious86 , how do you diagnose a faulty stepper motor?

post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-19, 01:49
Phicurious86

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie28 View Post
Thanks for the replies!

I just removed the airbox and re assembled making sure that the seals sit correctly. Also visually inspected the stepper motor and dind’t see anything that could be restricting its motion.

Put it all back together and the bike still jumps to 2.5k rpm

I’m trying to do the 12 min adaptation reset to see if it helps, but looking in DealerTool shows “closed throttle adaptation: yes”. Not sure if that means it worked or not

Also something that I did this latest service that may or may not have to do with this. I placed a magnetic tray on top of the airbox when removing its bolts. After, I realized that the tray was sticking to the airbox... it was attaching to what I think is the immobilizer unit that sits inside the airbox. By then it was too late to do anything about it, but is that something that could be causing the odd idle?
@Phicurious86 , how do you diagnose a faulty stepper motor?

Not sure. Think it might throw a code if it completely dies, but mine never threw a code before I got rid of it and rigged up a manual idle adjuster.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Phicurious86 For This Useful Post:
Rookie28 (06-26-19)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement