What is it with dealer service departments? - Triumph675.Net Forums
General 675 discussion Anything related to the Triumph 675 model(s), and miscellaneous motorcycle talk.

post #1 of 7 Old 06-23-19, 11:12 Thread Starter
Newbeme

Garage
What is it with dealer service departments?

Rant on:
I bought a used '13 St Trip with 2014 miles on it and keep getting a little drip of oil under it. Long story short, the previous owner just had all the fluids changed and maintenance done at his local dealership. While at the dealership they confirmed this. Back to the drip, the dealership saved a few pennies by not replacing the washer on the drain bolt, so now the fresh oil is slowly dripping out. I know it isn't a big deal to resolve, but it sure is frustrating.
Rant off!

Happier than a seagull with a french fry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-23-19, 13:29
Zaph

This is why you avoid dealer service departments like the plague. If you want something done right, do it yourself. If you don't know how, learn. You will feel good about yourself after.

When people bring their bikes in for an oil change, they give it to a high schooler who barely has 2 brain cells to connect together, and those 2 cells are thinking about getting laid, not your precious bike.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-23-19, 16:02 Thread Starter
Newbeme
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph View Post
This is why you avoid dealer service departments like the plague. If you want something done right, do it yourself. If you don't know how, learn. You will feel good about yourself after.

When people bring their bikes in for an oil change, they give it to a high schooler who barely has 2 brain cells to connect together, and those 2 cells are thinking about getting laid, not your precious bike.
Amen! That is exactly why I do all the work on my bikes and vehicles.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-19, 22:33
MadMel

What *******s at the dealer. Honda/Acura crush washers fit, I think I bought 50 or 100 on eBay for a few dollars. Make sure you tell them that those few pennies cost them your future business.

For myself, my bike went there for the first 800 or 1000km whatever it was check up, and has never returned nor needed to. Forums like this will teach you everything you need to know about maintaining and improving these bikes. I wasn't any more mechanically capable than the average guy when I got this bike, trust me, anyone can do nearly anything they need to.

Last edited by MadMel; 06-23-19 at 22:38.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-25-19, 06:58
Chirp

Depends on the dealer and mechanic. I changed drain plug washers only rarely for decades and never had leaks. Started regularly changing them because the parts guy at one dealer always sold the washer with the oil filter. He used to fill his pocket with them in the morning and tape one to each filter he sold.

That said, if you want a really good drain plug washer, use these. https://www.belmetric.com/hollow-cru...et-p-7767.html

I forget whether our bikes take 12 or 14 mm washers. I have a bag of each.

'61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 Duke 690, '13 Daytona 675R (track bike), '17 Superduke GT, '18 Street Triple RS
post #6 of 7 Old 06-25-19, 10:53
GmH

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post
I forget whether our bikes take 12 or 14 mm washers. I have a bag of each.
I believe it's 14mm.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-25-19, 17:10 Thread Starter
Newbeme
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirp View Post

That said, if you want a really good drain plug washer, use these. https://www.belmetric.com/hollow-cru...et-p-7767.html
Thanks for the link. I booked marked that site for the future. Right now I have a few from the local part store I am going to use up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement