Same problem - new stator/cps but just cranks - Triumph675.Net Forums

post #1 of 7 Old 06-20-19, 14:52 Thread Starter
rddmm2

Same problem - new stator/cps but just cranks

I'm having similar issue. 2012 675R and I can't figure this out.

Symptoms:
- Before race, bike only cranks, won't start
- we pull stator/cps off buddies 'B' bike, replace, and boom, bike starts, make grid with no time to spare.
- However, bike won't not idle below 2 k all weekend, so had to keep revs up while on the grid;
- Buddy offers spare gas tank/pump too, in case it was a fuel delivery problem. I got through the race weekend, but idle issue never really improved.
- I ran bike out of gas on last turn, on last lap, last race, and sputtered across finish, but ok. i got a tow back. Great race weekend.
- Returned stator and tank to buddy with thanks. I bought him a tire - well, its something. I eventually installed new Rick's Electronic stator. I thought this would resolve the problem.
- Time to go racing again, but no...

- Same Problem! Just cranks - won't start.

Replaced plugs - old plugs were bone dry.
new Stator reads consistent.
I By-passed rapidbike system and ran TuneEcu diagnostic tests - no codes for fuel pump, or anything else.
i have a manual idle adjuster to install, but I'll wait on that.

Any ideas anyone? Would bypassing pump relay by running a wire from after fuse to tank plug eliminate potential issues? It definitely sounds like the pump primes when ignition is turned on.
- Chances of a bad replacement stator/cps seems low and stator seems to read ok on ohm meter.

I Don't mean to highjack previous thread - sounds like this may be the same problem. I'd really appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-20-19, 20:15
Plasmablaster

Garage
The fact that it won't idle may indicate a vacuum leak. Check the transition rubber pieces between throttle bodies and intakes for cracks.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-20-19, 20:26
MadMel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmablaster View Post
The fact that it won't idle may indicate a vacuum leak. Check the transition rubber pieces between throttle bodies and intakes for cracks.
I'm thinking that the TuneECU vacuum readings might help to identify this issue as well.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-21-19, 10:00
Arawn

The idling issues point to a misfire; have you checked the coils? Start with the basics.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-21-19, 17:12 Thread Starter
rddmm2
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Sprayed quick start into throttle bodies but it didn't fire. I can't seem to confirm if its fuel delivery or spark. I'll remove plug and jump it against engine - old school but should confirm if any spark.
Not sure what to look for under vacuum readings on tuneecu.
thanks
post #6 of 7 Old 06-23-19, 10:24
Arawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddmm2 View Post
Sprayed quick start into throttle bodies but it didn't fire. I can't seem to confirm if its fuel delivery or spark. I'll remove plug and jump it against engine - old school but should confirm if any spark.
Not sure what to look for under vacuum readings on tuneecu.
thanks

You gave it fuel and it didn't fire; it's either compression or spark. I'd say it's highly unlikely for all three coils to fail at once or all three cylinders to lose compression at once. Plugs were dry; it's not firing the injectors either; if you don't have an injector test light unbolt them and crank them a couple times to confirm if there is fuel coming out of them (obviously be very careful, you'll have gas vapors in there).

I think there are three options here:

- When the stator CPS failed it could have burnt a wire somewhere else; depends on how it failed.
- Might have fried the ECU if it shorted a wire.
- Bad CPS; it can read correctly to a multimeter but the ECU is not a multimeter.

From easy to hardest:

1. Can you swap ECU with your friend's bike? Test your ECU in your friends bike, not the other way around.
2. Same thing with the stator CPS.
3. Get the multimeter out to start checking wiring; tedious and time consuming.

You could test the CPS in your bike with an oscilloscope, but you'd still need your friends bike to get a known good signal to compare it to that from your bike.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-24-19, 12:13 Thread Starter
rddmm2
Threadstarter Threadstarter

thanks
there seems to be spark.
I'll work on fuel delivery first. I'll swap out fuel pump and then look at injection as per your suggestion. If that doesn't get me closer, I'll continue down the list.
i appreciate the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement