Spam attacks - Triumph675.Net Forums
Forum announcements -- PLEASE READ Look here for the latest updates about the T675 forum

post #1 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 13:38 Thread Starter
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer

Spam attacks

So getting annoyed like most people, I set out this morning to figure out why this site is getting TONS of spam lately, so after I got off work I did a little digging around and believe I have found the issue.

It looks like somewhere in the Netherlands two companies are basically fighting. One of those companies is a hosting company that seems to cater to spam, malware, etc. While the other company is a one that attempts to block and shut down these types of issues, well from what I am reading the company that typically blocks out this spam, etc got hit by what is called a distributed denial of service attack (DDoS for us network nerds) basically means the attackers are overloading the either the server or the connections to the server which then bog down and typically cause it to crash from trying to keep up with some much.
Also what I am finding is they are estimating around 300 gigs a second from these attacks, and from my experience in my career I have never seen anything over a couple of gigs in a DoS attack, so this shit is HUGE, and since all these spammers seem to be coming from the Eastern side of the world it makes a lot of sense why we are seeing this much spam coming at once.

Now I am going to try and see if I can find a way to get our site out of the spammers path.

Will update if I find more.
TWW

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 13:40
Moeman

Awesome work man thank you so much for all your efforts
post #3 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 13:41
Nastybutler
BOTM Winner

Garage
Godspeed, sir.

2012 Street Triple (Trinity) - Phantom Black
Trinity's Build Thread

post #4 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 13:50
bznchris

Thanks TWW, good looking out!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #5 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 14:03
Leebean01

I'm not an expert but I do have some experience with matters related to these. If you find you need any help with something let me know. I'd pitch in some time to try and reduce the spam we are seeing.

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
post #6 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 14:08 Thread Starter
TwoWheeledWonder
Noob Hazer
Threadstarter Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebean01 View Post
I'm not an expert but I do have some experience with matters related to these. If you find you need any help with something let me know. I'd pitch in some time to try and reduce the spam we are seeing.
So far I am finding most sites, and people may just be SOL, I am sending a few emails out to some of my fellow nerds and see what they think. I just find it odd out of all the sites I am part of this one seems to be taking a massive amount of attacks, and worse part is since this is a worldwide site I can't just suggest blocking known country IPs, so it is difficult, plus I am getting tired since I worked all last night too lol so I may have to take a nap in a bit after I get emails sent out.

2010 TornadoRed D675 Trackbike
~
post #7 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 14:13
Leebean01

I set up some forums a little while back for a small HOA community. I just set it up so the first 3 posts of any new member had to be approved by a mod. I am not sure we have the mods for something like that on a site of this size, but since we were using free open-source forums spam was a huge issue and that was the most reliable thing we could find.

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you.
post #8 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 14:35
Moeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leebean01 View Post
I set up some forums a little while back for a small HOA community. I just set it up so the first 3 posts of any new member had to be approved by a mod. I am not sure we have the mods for something like that on a site of this size, but since we were using free open-source forums spam was a huge issue and that was the most reliable thing we could find.
That sounds like a good idea or set it up like we got it at 600rr.net which is a sister site to this one ( same owners Vertical Scope) where new members first post got to be in the introduction forum & no where else . Once that is posted then access to other forums gets granted that might act as a defensive line in a way granted we do get spam over there as well but it's not as insane as it is here
post #9 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 14:38
Leebean01

Yeah, I've been on many sites where your first post (or even up to 15 posts on one particular site) had to be in the intro section. It seems the best defense these days rests on controlling the first couple of posts. If you can figure out how to do that in a way that works for your site then you are pretty good.

post #10 of 54 Old 04-07-13, 17:29
MakinBeer

Garage
Quote:
Copyright ©2009 TRIUMPH675.NET Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
I know 3.8.x has known registration bypass vulnerabilities. 3.8.1 is out of date (by years) and certainly makes it an easier target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement